Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

rkcstr

Re: 405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

I'll be buying quite a few... and I can't wait!

yeah, i think i might order a few more than 1, as i previously posted... ;D can't wait!

IgorT

motorider: I feel like your avatar. ;D

IgorT

I'm doing the first 4x tests now... At 150mA through lens #2 it is doing 197.2mW! :)

I'm trying to test if the wavelength drifts as predicted...

EDIT: 197.2mW was immediatelly after it was built, still warm from my hands (@ 26°C). After it cooled off to 20°C the power after lens #2 was 202mW. The power with an acrylic lens is 164mW, so the power increase with lens #2 is 23%... Similar to the 6x.

If i allow it to warm up to 28°C, the wavelength climbs, and the power increase is 22%. The small wavelength change causes there to be less losses in acrylics.

When i heard they have a lower wavelength and similar beam profile to PHRs, i expected there to be more losses in acrylics. But this particular 4x seems to have a higher (longer) wavelength, and the spot is something between a PHR and a 6x. There is less power in the fast axis, and more in the slow axis - the aspect ratio is better than with PHRs... I need to find a short wavelength 4x, to establish a range....

rkcstr

>30% increase in power?  That's freakin AWESOME! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I think you need to order me some NOW ;D

jayrob

Igor you animal! Please don't forget me on these! Sometimes for some reason I don't always get e-mail notifications when the thread updates??
Jay

IgorT

rkcstr said:
>30% increase in power?  That's freakin AWESOME! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I think you need to order me some NOW  ;D

Unfortunatelly no, it's not a 30% increase... If my diode was like yours and only did 140mW at 150mA, then yes, the increase would be higher, but this particular 4x diode is doing 164mW after acrylics, when the power after glass is 202mW. So it's a 23% increase.. Read why above in the edite post..

When it warms up, this particular 4x diode has a higher wavelength than my hand picked high wl PHR!

If i find some low wl. 4x's the power increase will be higher, yes. Theoretically it is possible, that your 4x was also doing 200mW at 150mA, but had a shorter wavelength, causing there to be more losses than with my first test subject.. Cos i was aiming for 200mW raw output when i selected 150mA... I used your graph but assumed higher losses from the data that was reported in the GB thread.. But surprisingly enough, even tho the power after an acrylic was higher than expected, the power with glass was exactly what i was aiming for..

Just like with the PHRs, the power increase will vary with wavelength. It even changes with the temperature, cos the wl drifts with temp and the longer it is, the less losses there are in acrylics. But i have not yet seen less than 21% of increase... :)

Unlike with the 6x, i have 13 4x's here, so i can establish a range... We shall see.. ;)

EDIT: Umm, how did you get 30%? If the diode was like the one in your graph, and do 197mW after glass, the increase would be 43%...

Now that i have seen the beam profile myself, i don't think we will see >30% anywhere but with short wl. PHRs. PHRs have higher losses due to the bad aspect ratio. Unless of course there are 4x's with very low wavelength.... This first one i tested seems rather high, compared to what i heard from other tests. It surpassed even my high wl. PHR, and the better aspect ratio causes there to be similar losses as with 6x's..

IgorT

jayrob said:
Igor you animal! Please don't forget me on these! Sometimes for some reason I don't always get e-mail notifications when the thread updates??
Jay

So you didn't know what was going on? :p
Hehe, don't worry. If you didn't say anything, i would come looking for you.. ;)

We will need as many orders as possible, to get this thing through at a decent price. I hope we can involve other forums..

I'll take two, and if you want to get PL involved I can make a post about it there. Pm me if you want to,

rkcstr

haha, I was quickly thinking about it, and assumed 150mA as 150mW (ie 150mW before, 197mW after), but I also realized it was 150mA... I dunno... anyway, yes, compared to my measurements, it would be over 40%!

I don't care if it's 20 or 40%, that's still AWESOME! And, I want some  [smiley=evil.gif]

Also, from what you were saying with the output gains being lower for higher wavelengths, that STILL means you're getting (close to) the same output as the low wavelengths just because the acrylic lenses aren't eating up as much... so 200mW from one of these diodes at 150mA, no matter the ACTUAL gains from the lens (due to variance in wavelength of the diode), is VERY OK with me  :D

Also, I don't think you'll have ANY problem in finding interest.  I don't know the price, but I'm still considering buying MORE than 20!  No matter what, these are a good investment.  They will be useful for just about any diode we use (aside from IR, but who cares?  ;D).  And, since these aren't going to be available as a "purchase anytime" item, I'm sure there will be others who miss out and will be more than willing to pay AT LEAST what you paid for them to get one.  Getting other forums in it, though, might even get us up to amounts that maybe you could convince the manufacturer to even offer us a better price (like >500 units?).

IgorT

Man, if we could get to 500 pieces, that would really help with the price! At the moment i was counting on 250, even if it means i have to buy 100 myself..  ;D

Otherwise, yeah, you understood correctly. Theoretically it is possible for two diodes to do 140 and 160mW after acrylics respectivelly, but both getting to 200mW with glass, simply from the wavelength difference..

That zombie PHR prooved that a >40% increase IS possible! Granted, PHRs have a beam profile, that causes there to be higher losses with low NA lenses, but still...

Basically, if you have a long wl diode, it will get increased less, but it's brighter looking anyway. If it's a shorter wl diode it looks dimmer, but it will be increased so much more, that it will seem closer to the brightness of the longer wl. diode than through acrylics..

And again, just in case someone doesn't understand it yet, this is not from glass lenses increasing different diodes differently, this is because "increase" is compared to acrylics, so it depends on how much acrylics waste and the losses in acrylics vary with wavelength and with beam profile.

Another interesting aspect of this is, that the percentage of increase could be used to calculate a "relative wavelength" between diodes of the same type.

IgorT

Man, i should be sleeping, but this is so exciting! ;D

rkcstr

I think that [highlight]anybody[/highlight] and [highlight]everybody[/highlight] who build lasers, whether for themselves or for others, should get some of these lenses.  Not just because they're awesome at producing power, but because they will improve the LIFETIME of the lasers since you're not getting the optical reflections back into the diode (stresses, as Igor has mentioned MANY times).  And overall I think these lenses are a leap forward in our hobby not just because of their benefits, but because they're not something that has been selected because of how cheap they are, despite any drawbacks, so that every kid on the block can afford it (ie, Aixiz lenses, though they suffice for how cheap they are), but because these are IDEAL for what we need and should still be at reasonable cost.  I'm looking forward to seeing the potential of these lenses first-hand.  :)

Fantastic work has been done here.

I'm only new to the world of lasers, i've been doing a lot of research so far (which is what i always like to do) and after reading the results, i couldn't imagine you having trouble hitting the target you need to bring the price down. There are many sellers on here who not only for their own builds, but for future builds and to resell would be interested in the lenses. I know i am, despite the rubbish exchange rate, the gain in output power when compared with drive current is enough to say its worth it!

I'd certainly be in for at least 5, and as many as 20 lenses once supply and pricing is confirmed.

Are you keeping count of the orders Igort?  ;)
Put me down for two.. I cannot resist this.