Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

Re: 405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

I think i already said something a while ago, but put me down for one wideband and one bluray. these just keep looking better and better!

Igor, I'll spring for 2 of the broadband. It doesn't sound to me like the 405's give enough improved performance to be worth very much more; and they are less versatile - so if 405's are significantly more $$, I'd rather have the broads.

DanQ

danq said:
Igor, I'll spring for 2 of the broadband.  It doesn't sound to me like the 405's give enough improved performance to be worth very much more; and they are less versatile - so if 405's are significantly more $$, I'd rather have the broads.

DanQ

Once again. It's the other way around. The broadbands will cost a tiny bit more, due to a lower quantity order (the coating will be cheaper but the lens will cost more). The 405nm optimised ones will actually cost a bit less. There, the coating is more expensive, but with the number ordered it spreads out and the lens alone is cheaper.

So the 405nm ones will be a couple of bucks less, slightly better for blu rays, but not that good for reds. Might still work tho, but i have to see the reflectance graphs.

oh.
;)

well, I think I'll pay a little extra, for the flexibility... but would buy a couple 405's too since they're so cheap. ;)

IgorT said:
Are you still getting 405nm ML lenses after that? Cos if you are, you don't have to take too many in the mini-GB.

The idea behind the mini-GB is, that we each take a few, so it amounts to a number, that gives us a decent price.
But it should still be considered as a test before the final order.

Well I'm a little more interested in the broadbands since I'm not sure if I'm really going to have 4x blu ays or such, and I think you stated before that they may go up dramatically in the future. The transmittance difference between the two is negligible to me, so I might as well accomodate a variety of wavelengths rather than just one. I really like the idea that preventing the light from being reflected back into the diode will help it as well.

Bionic-Badger said:
Well I'm a little more interested in the broadbands since I'm not sure if I'm really going to have 4x blu ays or such, and I think you stated before that they may go up dramatically in the future.  The transmittance difference between the two is negligible to me, so I might as well accomodate a variety of wavelengths rather than just one.  I really like the idea that preventing the light from being reflected back into the diode will help it as well.

I see what you mean.. :) I definitelly want to buy up as many broadbands as possible too. But i will mostly use them for reds. Due to their possibly limited availability, i will probably be very careful when deciding where to use them.

It might be hard or next to impossible to organise another GB of this magnitude again, so yeah, anyone who wants broadbands or lenses for reds should consider getting them now.

If enough of us get the broadbands, the difference in price to the 405nms might become negligible. And the ability to use the lenses in all diode lasers is definitelly a positive aspect.

About the reflections.. Yeah, i used to think it's the current, that kills diodes. But it's the effect of the current - the optical flux at the die. With a bare diode, this is equal to it's output power, but once a lens is introduced, the optical flux is now output power + reflections.

Too much, and the end facets can get damaged. They melt, create hotspots, start damaging the mirrors around them, and next thing you know, the diode commits COD.

So getting rid of reflections is definitelly a good thing, and not only because the light that would normally get reflected now passes the lens and increases the output.

Usually, when we talk about what a diode can handle, we talk about a certain current. But since it's the optical flux that matters, reflections can play a big role. If you use AR coated optics, the diode can survive a higher current, than before. That is, if it's the correct AR coating. The wrong AR coating can actually increase the reflections (650nm coatings look blue - they reflect blue light).

I'd like to be added to the list for 1 :) (although I wont be able to afford it anytime soon)

Can someone give me a summary of this whole 20 page thing? So is the order on? I'm still lookin to get a 405nm AR coated in an Aixiz nut

We are going to do a mini-GB now. It will be for a smaller number of broadband lenses. 400-700nm R<1%. They will be suitable for all visible wavelength diodes.

After we get these and test them, we can do the big gb for the 405nm coated ones. Those will only work for blu rays, but will have R<0.2%. (Even lower reflections, 0.8% more power than broadbands for blu rays, but not good for reds).

Please increase my broadband order to 4 lens. violets stay at 2.

Thanks

Docjohn  :) :) :)

hey, can you put me down for 1 broadband? Leave my violet order as is (I think i said 2 for that) I think I'll jump on the bandwagon and give both my red and blu kryton builds good lenses.

IgorT --
That's a compact summary --- Now, How Much $ and where do we order?

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
IgorT --
That's a compact summary --- Now,  How Much $ and where do we order?

Mike

Same question here.

How Much $ and when/where do we order?

Hi,

Can you put me down for 2 broadband and 2 violet.

Thanks,
Bryan

Put me down for (2) broadband lenses for the mini-GB, how much are they?
Thanks for all of the work Igor!

Back