Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

Re: 405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

IgorT said:
Yeah, look at the pictures again.. Note how little of the plastic lens nut sticks out of the thickest ring.. It covers almost half of the lens nut. It would either have to be made thinner, like Jayrob suggested, or it could be fixed permanently on the top two threads of the lens nut. Making it thinner would be better.

It doesn't even allow plastic lenses in deep enough. The glass will have to be deeper. The position of the lens in the nut can offset this a little, but not enough for the thickest focusing ring.
Aww... Bummer :(

Kenom said:
If you run into a module like that and want the threads to go down further, ship it to me, and I'll be more than happy to tap the threads down all the way.

You have the required machinery to cut the correct threads into the brass?

I'm not yet sure if it will be a problem, i'm just saying to be on the lookout for this, so someone doesn't put a 6x in or something....
It's annoying, that you never know what you'll get from DX. For them, it's all the same thing.

Otherwise, i just tried with a lens nut, and it goes in very far, even with this module. The part, that sticks out is barelly enough for the focusing ring..
If the lens works in an AixiZ lens nut, it will also work in this module, but it is possible, that the custom lens nut would have to be longer.

This module definitelly wouldn't work with the spherical lens, because there the lens nut had to be in completelly, and there was no room for a ring on top. We're not gonna use that lens because of distortions anyway, and the best aspheric so far has a slightly longer FL, meaning it also has to be a little further away from the diode.

I will do the required measurements and drawings this weekend, as i think the second aspheric will be the best lens in the end.

Wouldn't it be better to just get custom nuts made rather than deal with DX trash?

Lasercrazy said:
Wouldn't it be better to just get custom nuts made rather than deal with DX trash?

custom = $$$$$$$$$$$$ + time

DX = $$$$$ + an occasional bad unit

Peace,
dave

How much money though? I mean the dx units only cost a few bucks a piece, but maybe the custom nuts wouldn't be much more. If 1 module was ordered for each lens with the amount of interest there is already, I'd expect a [highlight]LOT[/highlight] of varying units from DX.

Lasercrazy said:
How much money though? I mean the dx units only cost a few bucks a piece, but maybe the custom nuts wouldn't be much more. If 1 module was ordered for each lens with the amount of interest there is already, I'd expect a [highlight]LOT[/highlight] of varying units from DX.

"Not be much more"? . . . . . and monkeys might fly outta my butt!

You obviously do NOT understand the nature of "custom." If there was an existing nut that could be easily modified, maybe, but custom designed and manufactured? . . .NO.

It is much more cost effective to throw out the occasional bad stock unit than it is to create your own. It is much more cost effective to wait for an existing unit to become "available" again after being out of stock, than it is to pay for the R&D and tool-up needed to make a small custom run. If we have to wait an additional 4 weeks for Aixiz to get their stock replenished, the nuts from them, in bulk, is about 50 cents apiece!

DX is cheap because they just ship out whatever is shipped in. They rely on the QC of the manufacturer. In case you weren't aware, the QC in Asia of mass produced, cheap items is nearly none existent. There is NOT a [highlight]LOT [/highlight]of variation. It is just that they sell so many that the nature of the lax QC is evident (and people rarely do a write up to say that the item is "normal").

IgorT will be IgorT. He will explore EVERY avenue available. It is one of the things that makes him IgorT (and why we love him). However, custom is (and I'm going to go out on a limb here) custom is NEVER as cost effective as stock.

Nothing in life is guaranteed (except eventual death), so you make a small purchase and see if the stock unit meets your needs. If it does, you buy what you need. If it doesn't then you keep looking. Could it change? Of curse it could. Does it happen enough to be a major factor in the decision process? No. If NOTHING will work, then you look to custom.

This whole experiment is to try to squeeze a few more mW out of and extend the life of a diode that we are pushing to the limits of what it is capable of. It is NOT to get a cool lens into public hands as quickly as possible. An additional benefit is that we get to learn along the way.

Peace,
dave

::) Maybe monkeys do fly out of your butt. lol ;) ;D I'm cetainly in no hurry to get mine so a 1 month wait for the proper nuts it fine by me. As far as DX qc is concerned, I never thought they had any... nor will they ever.

Lasercrazy said:
::) Maybe monkeys do fly out of your butt. lol ;) ;D I'm cetainly in no hurry to get mine so a 1 month wait for the proper nuts it fine by me. As far as DX qc is concerned, I never thought they had any... nor will they ever.

I'll keep an eye out for the monkeys . . . . . ;) ;D

Peace,
dave

If the AixiZ lens nut is long enough to bring the lens close enough to the diode and still have something stick out on top for the ring, we'll just use that.

If it's not long enough, it might be better to have them made too. I did not yet ask how much it would cost to have them made. I need to draw them first, and send the manufacturer the drawing, and then i'll know.

I doubt it would cost too much, but on the other hand, it's a miracle, that the custom lenses themselves are affordable.

I mean, look at the ThorLabs prices.. :o
At first i thought they are so expensive, because they are aspherics, and the first custom lens was spherical. But the best custom lens so far is also an aspheric lens!

I am not alone in being very excited about getting the new lens. ALSO! Just in case this is seen by those who don't know IgorT's awesome blu-ray lasers I am so thrilled with mine that I can hardly find words. I also know of no company that will make such a great build and do a super fine follow up to make sure they continue to be happy buyers! Service after the sale, on a scale of 1 to 10 , well I'd give IgorT a solid 20! he's just that devoted to our folks so he gives detailed answers to all questions and helps with consideration and thoughtfulness thats well above the "Great Service " level! He's the Man! Way to Go IgorT!

I do indeed have the tools to cut the right size threads. It's part of my quality control for my barrels. The manufacturer comes VERY close to getting the threads just right. But. Since the threads AREN'T just right, I have to chase the threads on each individual barrel by hand to make sure that the threads are EXACTLY the size needed for the aixiz nut.

On another note, I fiddled with having my own lens nuts made by my manufacturer when I first started making my barrels as I didn't know for sure the manufacturer was going to be able to get the lens threads right. It was NOT cost effective. Especially considering the cost of the lenses from Aixiz.

I also have the threading taps to do this, its just a M9 0,5mm pitch tap set.
They are not exactly cheap though, I once bought a set for about 110 USD on ebay.

If you're in the US, go to harbor freight. Low quality, but it will do aluminum fine.... until it breaks Very low cost.

YOu can't find this tap at harbor freight.

:-/ This thread is getting buried, and I'm looking forward to the results. any updates?

pwnstar said:
:-/ This thread is getting buried, and I'm looking forward to the results. any updates?

When IgorT gets quiet, it is usually because he is working his a** off

Peace,
dave

Back