Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3D printers

A few days ago I ordered a 3D printer as well! It was also a prusa i3, I bought this kit which made it much easier instead of sourcing everything individually:
Prusa 8" i3 Kit - Kits
They also have a cheaper but smaller 6 inch kit: Prusa 6" i3 Kit - Kits

That's funny, I just emailed them asking if they can sell me the kit with everything besides the electronics. Sourcing everything myself would be a b1tch indeed.

And I just got an email saying.

"Hi,

Thank you for emailing me, for our v2 Prusa you can select to get the kit without electronics.* For our i3 though we don't sell partial kits as it complicates things to much.

Thanks,
Colin"

Sucks for me I guess.

Last edited:
As for printed hosts, I have been thinking about this for a while. Would you just leave an opening at the top of it so you can put aluminum, or copper as a heatsink?

Im going to print mine in parts, similar to a traditional flashlight or custom host.

I drew this up awhile ago with intentions of getting it printed in metal by shapeways or a similar company but when I found out the cost I gave up lol.

The guys at my local hackerspace Make: Lehigh Valley finished a scratch built reprap (i forget which model) not too long ago. The process is very fiddly and it still could use some fine tuning, but it gives pretty good results. It will be a big help once I start on the build of my personal printer. I'm gonna be using much more industrial quality components like linear actuators I have acquired by scavenging DNA sequencers for their argon lasers =P

FLIR0097.png

ARG

A few days ago I ordered a 3D printer as well! It was also a prusa i3, I bought this kit which made it much easier instead of sourcing everything individually

I have that one as well, let me know if you need any help with the tuning. It's an art.

OK, so I really want to get started with this project. I just got SainSmart 3D Printer Controller Kit for 3D printers from Amazon yesterday. It's a start I guess, now I just need everything else. Like Lazerbeak said in an earlier post, this is pretty intimidating. This won't be easy, I can already tell. I decided to build a prusa I3. If anyone has experience with this, and is willing to help me. That would be fantastic.

I know generally what else I need, but not 100%

Sounds exciting FlutterPie :D

~ LB

The guys at my local hackerspace Make: Lehigh Valley finished a scratch built reprap (i forget which model) not too long ago. The process is very fiddly and it still could use some fine tuning, but it gives pretty good results. It will be a big help once I start on the build of my personal printer. I'm gonna be using much more industrial quality components like linear actuators I have acquired by scavenging DNA sequencers for their argon lasers =P

FLIR0097.png

Linear actuators arent used for anything on 3D printers...

Not on the typical homebrew ones, no ;)

I will be using a THK linear guide actuator (I believe the proper technical term is a leadscrew, but it's a self-contained unit) along with some similar setups I've removed from DNA sequencers.

Im about to buy the rest of the parts I need.

I am going to buy Reprap Prusa i3 Single Plate Frame, Reprap Borofloat Glass, and here are the plastic parts.

With the plastic parts their are many options to choose, so I have no idea what options to pick. The only other thing I can think of is an extruder. My initial plan was to go with a dual extruder. I still like the idea of a dual extruder. Can someone link a good extruder to get.

Thanks

Im about to buy the rest of the parts I need.

I am going to buy Reprap Prusa i3 Single Plate Frame, Reprap Borofloat Glass, and here are the plastic parts.

With the plastic parts their are many options to choose, so I have no idea what options to pick. The only other thing I can think of is an extruder. My initial plan was to go with a dual extruder. I still like the idea of a dual extruder. Can someone link a good extruder to get.

Thanks

Getting close...

~ LB

I guess I will update. I have everything I need as far as I am aware. I started building my 3D printer the other day, and it's going alright I suppose. I have a few tutorials I am following that are helping me out. A really tough part about this though is that there are so many different variations to different builds. So while one tutorial is telling me one thing the other tutorial is telling me a different thing. The only thing I can do is keep working on it a little at a time. I need to make sure I do everything right the first time so I don't have to go back to fix mistakes. Overall it really is fun to build. The finished product will be worth it (I hope).

Thanks for everyone that's following along.

Grix

I also got my parts yesterday, spent around 7 hours building and I just finished my first print! A simple ABS cube, looks great considering I haven't done any fine-tuning yet. Nearly no distortions.

Last edited: