Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

268mW 6X Key Chain Blu-ray! (With FlexDrive!) - Awesome!

Re: 215mW 6X Key Chain Blu-ray! - With FlexDrive!

jayrob said:
Trying it without a lathe would be sloppy at best. I guess it could be done by finishing it with a Dremel tool, but it would be very difficult...

I have not tried to power a diode directly from batteries. Only with a dirver. But ask Kenom... From what I understand, he is running his 'Teenie Burner' direct from the batteries...
Jay
Awsome job Jay two questions first on the lathe how did you guestamate the depth on the tail cap with out going thru it.
lastly how do you get your wife to be so understanding about the disire to fininsh a build once started cause mine is needing some of that :). PS my jayrob build 110mW PHR was working fine untill last night when my probe flung off and shorted the diode out :'(.
I was doing some multitasking with an adult beverage and DMM. LOL!!!!!

jayrob

Bummer about your diode...

If you think it is a dead diode, and not something else, I will rebuild it at no charge. Just parts and shipping with a couple of bucks to cover my PayPal fees. Or, I will sell you a PHR sled. I have stock on hand. $15 dollars plus $3 dollars for shipping and handling...

About the tail cap, you must be very careful, because when your done, there will only be about 1/2mm of brass thickness left at the very center, where the tip of the drill will go the deepest. It already has a hole in it for the spring, so you know you can go at least as deep at that. Now, take your calipers, and measure the allowable distance. You will find that you can go about 10.4mm depth. As you get close, you must use the depth measuring part of your calipers to measure the depth.

The other thing that I have to do, after I get it drilled to the proper depth, is get the bottom of the drilled out hole, 'flat' for the battery... since the tip of the drill bit goes the deepest. (you need this extra couple of mm's for the 10280 to fit) This is done using a milling bit.

And finally, since my milling bit is just a little smaller in diameter than my drill bit, I have to finish it off with a small grinding bit using my Dremel tool.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really is not too bad with the proper tools... (takes about 15 or 20 minutes working carefully)

key21.jpg

Another tip: I found that using some aluminum tape, the kind used for sealing heat duct, wrapped around the piece (head or tail cap), will let you do the drilling without any marks on the piece! ;) (single layer wrap)

About the wife... use care when handling. ;D If the back of your hand does not work... JK

Really though... buy her something she likes man, that is almost always going to go a long way. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be expensive, it's just the thought...
Jay

Hello
Got the little bugger put togeather. I have the V4 lava driver seems to be just the right size. The V3 looks like it would be a little harder. Im have a problem finding the 10280 batteries.

Hi all

I just ordered 4 10280's from peakledsolutions they were 12 buck's for a 2 pack a little expensive but they had them in stock ;D. Also i had to call to order because they don't show them on there site but they do have some as of today.

Jay, Aw said he's looking for a new manufacturer.

tysonc1979, Thanks I'll check it out

jayrob

Hmmm... let us know if you find that to be a new source.
Jay

they are absolutely amazing
btw how is the heatsinking
:)

jayrob

It is quite well!

Since the little host is solid brass, and the module is 'press fit' into the head. The entire host is in effect the heatsink...
Jay

Peng

Is there anywhere else we cwn get the hosts?
Lowes Canada does not seem to sell it here...

jayrob

I think on Lowe's web site, you can check availability in different areas. Then you can order on-line...
Jay

Peng

jayrob said:
I think on Lowe's web site, you can check availability in different areas. Then you can order on-line...
Jay
Hello Jayrob,
Yes Lowes has shipping on the US website but the shipping is only within the US.... :(

jayrob

Well, If you want to pay $10 bucks, I'll go down to Lowe's, buy one for you and ship it to you...

If you want any modifications, I would charge another $20 bucks for the head and tail cap mod. But first make sure you can get the 10280.
Jay

Got my 4 10280's today and the charger from peakled ;D now comes the hard part for me drilling out that tail cap and i am done. Also i called peak led about getting more he says he has a few so get them while you can. Does anyone know the min~ max voltage for these 10280's ?