Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2.1W 32650 Ehgemus RPL Host

DTR

2.1W 32650 Ehgemus RPL Host

p1014752.jpg

In my continuing quest to try different combination of batteries, hosts and drivers has now lead me to this newest creation using a single massive 32650 Li-Ion. Ehgemus really does some amazing work so I knew it was going to be awesome host. This unit has some serious mass and I am going to name it Fat Bastard.:D

It all starts with this monster. It is a FeiLong 32650 6000mAh battery. I ordered a few from flydragon D (32650)/3.7V-6000maH Lithium-ion Battery (2 cells)_Battery | Charger_ . Then I of course had to send one off to Ehgemus to have one of his amazing hosts fitted for it.

KrRx0t.jpg

Host

He sent me a few pictures before he sent it back. Love the soda can size comparison.

4633-102-1246.jpg

4632-102-1247.jpg

When I finally got it in my hands I had to take a few shots of the body. This thing is beautiful. Ehgemus is truly an artist.

p1014752.jpg

p1014744.jpg

p1014732.jpg

Here is another great comparison shot with a Ehgemus 14650 pen host.

p1014819.jpg

With Ehgemus having the battery in hand and building the host around it he really gets the battery to fit perfectly snug.:D

bt1d.jpg

Assembly

Alright so this unit breaks down pretty much the same as most of my other reviews of Ehgemus's hosts but the size difference is definitely notable.:cool:

i41su.jpg

The unit has a very spacious driver pocket. Making it very easy to pack a couple of drivers and all their wiring into it.

nhm2.jpg

The most notable is this goliath sized direct press head for handling the heat from this mean little diode:eg:

2aOhjZ.jpg

So I prepped two flexdrives and set them to 900mA each for a combined 1.8A. I attached them with thermal adhesive to the nice little heatsinks that Ehgemus throws in.;)

r39h.jpg

rs6i.jpg

Next I bonded the two sinks together and wrapped them in electrical tape to keep from shorting against the walls of the diode pocket. I then prepped the diode leads. I will be using the case pin for the negative driver input but you could also just bridge the case pin and the negative pin on the diode.

n43f.jpg

Now I added some shrink tubing to the diode leads and soldered them to the diode.

nc0x.jpg

I assembled the module by using a small amount of thermal adhesive to keep the module from coming apart. Then all that is left to do is screw it into the host body, add a lens to the focus adapter and throw in a battery.:D

FGFLHw.jpg

Now you are ready to have some fun.:beer:

g8kca.jpg

zuztYA.jpg

r14ULl.jpg

Beamshots

s5LPar.jpg

p1014832.jpg

p1014827.jpg

LPM Test

And finally here is the beast in action. I did a 20 minute run to to see what she can do.:eg:

Peak of 2130mW and only 130mW drop in power in the first five minutes.:eek:

It was pretty hot at the end of the test but nothing that it could not handle.:beer:

Final Thoughts

The performance of this unit is absolutely amazing. The look and feel is just stunning. Definitely want to give a big thanks to Ehgemus for building this incredible host for me.:beer:

Now this unit should be on par with Jayrob's Mag's or the Frankenstein but this unit is also sporting an extremely efficient diode. 1.8A producing 2.1W. The more efficiently the current is being used the less heat will be generated meaning less power drop over the duration and this unit can handle long runs with minimal power drop for a 445 diode.;)

Anyway thanks for reading hope you liked it. And if you would like to see more of my reviews check my compilation thread linked in my sig.:beer:​

Last edited:

jakeGT

That thing is bad f'in @$$!!! Another insane build
Sir jordan of 2W 445's

Nice one. I really like that host.:) Beefy. What was the Battery Voltage after that 20 minute run?.:) Must of barley left a dent.

+:beer:

Edit:
Must of Rep'd you earlier this week. Ill be back in a few with an IOU.;)

DTR

Thanks guys.

I am not sure what the voltage was after the 20 minute run but it should have not dropped much. It is drawing around 2.5A and should be able to run over 2 hours with this battery.:beer:

I love this host!
It reminds me of some of Ehgemus' first hosts. Of course back then we didn't have direct diode press and 5 piece custom hosts. Ehgemus has definitely evolved since then.

I can only imagine the money that guy must spend on thread taps.....

btw, did you get this diode on the first try? or did it take you a few to find one to reach that output?

The beams in your pictures look scary....like it's gonna cut you in half if you walk through it....

DTR

I love this host!

btw, did you get this diode on the first try? or did it take you a few to find one to reach that output?

The beams in your pictures look scary....like it's gonna cut you in half if you walk through it....

It is an awesome host.

I have been doing quite a few hotlight kits and I had to build 4 kits before I found this little gem.

I do love the long exposure shots.:eg:

Last edited:
It is an awesome host.

I have been doing quite a few hotlight kits and I had to build 4 kits before I found this little gem.

I do love the long exposure shots.:eg:

ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with my hotlights.
They are so damn ugly, but at that price i just have to make them....

Thanks guys.

I am not sure what the voltage was after the 20 minute run but it should have not dropped much. It is drawing around 2.5A and should be able to run over 2 hours with this battery.:beer:

Kool.:)

I love this host!
It reminds me of some of Ehgemus' first hosts. Of course back then we didn't have direct diode press and 5 piece custom hosts. Ehgemus has definitely evolved since then.

I can only imagine the money that guy must spend on thread taps.....

Yea i must got a efficiency one then comparing to This Build that DTR just did as mine does 2.05W at 1.8A.:)

I thought most of the diodes set to 1.8A will reach past 2W.? 2 of mine reach more then 2W and my 3rd one reaches 1.98W.

Big thanks to DTR for acutely pushing these diodes to 2W. I think we would still be around the 1.2W mark if it wasn't for him.

Much Props Buddy.:)

DTR + Ehgemus Host are something special.:)

jakeGT

maybe i missed it, but the 2.1W at 1.8A is with g-1 lens correct?

edit: how many freakin holes do you have in your speakers? all the beam shots are directly pointed at them from what i can tell, POOR POOR little speakers :beer:

Last edited:

jayrob

Another one of a kind solid build...

Can't believe you ran it for about 20 minutes on your power measurement video!

Ehgemus makes perfection possible...

Incredible beam shots!

Awesome! :gj:

Last edited:

DTR

maybe i missed it, but the 2.1W at 1.8A is with g-1 lens correct?

edit: how many freakin holes do you have in your speakers? all the beam shots are directly pointed at them from what i can tell, POOR POOR little speakers :beer:

The test was done with a G-1 lens. If you look close the laser is sitting on top of my sub and the beam is coming towards the camera.;)

Another one of a kind solid build...

Can't believe you ran it for about 20 minutes on your power measurement video!

Ehgemus makes perfection possible...

Awesome! :gj:

Thanks Jay. The host definitely is a big factor but the very efficient diode contributes quite a bit as well. This diode should give a similar performance in some of the larger hosts that I have reviewed like the MCU-088, RL-2088 or your Mag hosts.;)

jakeGT

The test was done with a G-1 lens. If you look close the laser is sitting on top of my sub and the beam is coming towards the camera.;)

AHA! sneaky sneaky sir. Don't turn the sub on and bounce it off though! haha.

Im also guessing you don't sleep either? I Go into work at 4 am every day so it's good to see another friendly face awake

DJNY

This is awesome work.

As always.

Wow 2.1W.

Great.

Nice host.

Good job Ehgemus.

Beautiful pics.

Thank ya pal.

Hail to the king.

:lasergun: