Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2.147W Flaminpyro SS-032 Dual Flexdrive

A microboost output ground is not tied with battery ground and on flexdrive the ground path is continuous. This will cause problems if you tried to parallel them. Drlava could shed some more light on this as to what would happen if you did this.

What happens is one runs full blast, while the other makes up the difference.

cd520

What happens is one runs full blast, while the other makes up the difference. Haven't you read this thread?

No I havent. Care to show me where Drlava says this about running a microboot and flexdrive together? People in this thread are talking about running the SAME drivers and this happening, which it does NOT.

WOW... I had no idea the Aurora host could hold such power without burning up. Very impressive. Nice Flaminpyro focusring also! I have a different one of his on my 18650 Aurora & it makes an excellent finish to an awesome host :)

DTR

No I havent. Care to show me where Drlava says this about running a microboot and flexdrive together? People in this thread are talking about running the SAME drivers and this happening, which it does NOT.

There is no thread about that I am aware of but I wonder what would happen.:can:

Here is the thread about Parallel drivers. http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/parallel-drivers-53509.html#post751476 Specifically they were talking about running two microboost drives in parallel and how one runs @ max and the other is picking up the slack. He does state in the thread not to run two different drivers in parallel together.;)

Sorry but you are wrong on who gets how much current !
Even though they will run the way you describe it is always best not to
cause heat in electronics so why run one hot if it's not nessary ?
The very best way is to set them up is with both sharing the load 50/50.
This comes stright from the Dr. and my 40 years in the electronics field.
Why would you want to run one at max and take up the slack with the
other it just dosn't make sense electronicly ???
Have a good day ;)

Very nice. I am surprised that the drivers do not overheat. From what I understand when running in parallel one will run @ max and the other will fill in the rest. For example 1.5A on one and 300mA on the other. And the one running @ 1.5A should overheat at that current.

Can you make a video showing the power drop in that host in a few minute run? I would be interested to see.

Anyway great job. It is good to see others pushing their way up.:beer:

Last edited:
You can combine any 2 current sources in paralel, and add up their current. This is identical to how the voltage adds up when you hook batteries in series. They do not need to be the same: you can, for example, run a nimh and lithium battery in series to get 3.6+1.2=4.8 volts total. In case of batteries this will result in a practical problem if one of them is empty, but with current sources its all fine.

Thanks a lot for clarifying this. I have been wondering since the dual flexdrive trick showed up. +1

Hmmm running dual flexdrives, it sounds like this may be the trick in higher power setups, if you plan on really pushing these diodes. Plus with heat sinking not mandatory!

Blord

The flexdrive V5 is reaching its limit. Hopefully the V6 can deliver more current.

DTR

Sorry but you are wrong on who gets how much current !
Even though they will run the way you describe it is always best not to
cause heat in electronics so why run one hot if it's not nessary ?
The very best way is to set them up is with both sharing the load 50/50.
This comes stright from the Dr. and my 40 years in the electronics field.
Why would you want to run one at max and take up the slack with the
other it just dosn't make sense electronicly ???
Have a good day ;)

I already corrected the statement a few posts down from the one you are quoting.:na:

Here is the reply.:beer:
Just want to give an update to my previous post about dual drivers with one running at max and the other filling in the rest. I got a PM back from drlava and he said that is only the case with the microboost's when run in parallel. He said with the way the flexdrive is made they will both be putting out the current they are set to. So heatsinking the drivers may be a non issue with this build.:beer:

Last edited:
Very nice build. It is very reassuring to see these kind of unique ultra high power builds. Is there anyway you can check the current this setup is drawing and post the results?

Uh... no. That's like connecting a vent between two stuffy rooms to "air out the place."