Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2.147W Flaminpyro SS-032 Dual Flexdrive

VERY NICE! Man I am so jealous of the few of you guys who have got past 2 WATTS. That's a sick looking focus ring.

Benm

Maximum value for a signed integer is 2,147,483,647 - also known as (2^31)-1. :)

-Trevor

That totally depends on the processor you are working with. If you are working with a uC that has 12 bit singed integers, 2047 would actually be the upper limit of the signed integer value. Obviously it would be likely to overflow from +2047 to -2047 and keep on counting from there.

With x86 hardware integers are usually 16 bit, with small and big integers as 8 and 32 bit values. On uCs its more hardware dependant though, and some architectures offer 12 or 14 bit 'integers' by default.

DTR

Just want to give an update to my previous post about dual drivers with one running at max and the other filling in the rest. I got a PM back from drlava and he said that is only the case with the microboost's when run in parallel. He said with the way the flexdrive is made they will both be putting out the current they are set to. So heatsinking the drivers may be a non issue with this build.:beer:

From what I understand when running in parallel one will run @ max and the other will fill in the rest. For example 1.5A on one and 300mA on the other.

Only if you have them set that way. If you have them both set to 0.9A, they'll both output 0.9A.

You may have overflowed an integer depending on how many nW it outputs... :p

Yes, hundreds of millions of nanowatts might cause overflow :na:

Just want to give an update to my previous post about dual drivers with one running at max and the other filling in the rest. I got a PM back from drlava and he said that is only the case with the microboost's when run in parallel. He said with the way the flexdrive is made they will both be putting out the current they are set to. So heatsinking the drivers may be a non issue with this build.:beer:

Only if you have them set that way. If you have them both set to 0.9A, they'll both output 0.9A.

Hey Captain Obvious. He already corrected his statement 2 posts above yours.

DTR

Just remember that the microboost does not work that way. It will run one @ max and the other filling in the rest.;)

Last edited:
It looks like these diodes are quite hard to push, keep updates on the degradation - cool build:gj:

Are there any bad effect if the 2 drivers are setup to run at different output current? i.e. 1 @ 1.0A and the other @ 0.5A?

Are there any bad effect if the 2 drivers are setup to run at different output current? i.e. 1 @ 1.0A and the other @ 0.5A?

I don't see why it would. I am sure some person like Bemn or HM(Something), will explain some little technicality. :)

Blord

Ask drlava, he is the designer of the flexdrives. I hear never a dissapprovement from him by using 2 flexdrives.

Benm

You can combine any 2 current sources in paralel, and add up their current. This is identical to how the voltage adds up when you hook batteries in series. They do not need to be the same: you can, for example, run a nimh and lithium battery in series to get 3.6+1.2=4.8 volts total. In case of batteries this will result in a practical problem if one of them is empty, but with current sources its all fine.

cd520

You can combine any 2 current sources in paralel, and add up their current. This is identical to how the voltage adds up when you hook batteries in series. They do not need to be the same: you can, for example, run a nimh and lithium battery in series to get 3.6+1.2=4.8 volts total. In case of batteries this will result in a practical problem if one of them is empty, but with current sources its all fine.

A microboost output ground is not tied with battery ground and on flexdrive the ground path is continuous. This will cause problems if you tried to parallel them. Drlava could shed some more light on this as to what would happen if you did this.

Last edited: