Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

!!!1W of purple!!! Lighthound 2xAA (14500) 405nm 12X Handheld Minitorch

Thanks Jerry! Yes so far at 1 & 1/2 months old this sucker still burns great, though I'm very careful with using this laser as infrequently as possible. It's hard though, 1W of 405nm in this mini sabre host is difficult to leave alone :yh:

Thanks Jerry! Yes so far at 1 & 1/2 months old this sucker still burns great, though I'm very careful with using this laser as infrequently as possible. It's hard though, 1W of 405nm in this mini sabre host is difficult to leave alone :yh:

Use it and if/when it croaks build another:eg: . I built a sAik 405nm after this
when I get home to read the label I'll edit to let ya know what #'s it turned out. Shoot,,, I forgot to do a thread on it I had many pics here is one of just the host. I hope you don't mind it in your build thread, but your the one who kinda got the cogs turning:na:.

Attachments

• IMAG0170 (2).jpg
    IMAG0170 (2).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 223
Use it and if/when it croaks build another:eg: . I built a sAik 405nm after this
when I get home to read the label I'll edit to let ya know what #'s it turned out. Shoot,,, I forgot to do a thread on it I had many pics here is one of just the host. I hope you don't mind it in your build thread, but your the one who kinda got the cogs turning:na:.

Indeed, although building one will be easy. Breaking 1 watt again, not so much

No I don't mind at all man, thanks and have at it! :beer:

Well I wish I had a 405-G lens on my desk right now to answer that question, but I'll tell you in a couple of days when I do. :D Until then, here's what it gave me with a 3 element lens...

Thanks for asking man! :beer:

Last edited:
Amazing laser man!

Since you are driving it to its max and it might die at any minute (hope not), using a copper module would be a good idea right?
You say it doensnt get much warm after some time, but that might be because of the heatsink being a little loose inside the head. I just think copper would make the difference.

I can build you one a little less powerful if you want ;)

Amazing laser man!

Since you are driving it to its max and it might die at any minute (hope not), using a copper module would be a good idea right?

Now c'mon, you have to be more optimistic than that. That's like looking at living our lives dying one day at a time :( This little superdiode has a long life ahead in this laser, dont you worry over there :D

You say it doensnt get much warm after some time, but that might be because of the heatsink being a little loose inside the head. I just think copper would make the difference.

I'm not sure if I would've been better off with copper or not, but I didn't have an copper modules at the time I assembled this laser otherwise I'd had that option. I'm also not one to think that using copper is better anyways because while we both know copper is denser & holds more heat longer than aluminum, it doesn't transfer heat as quickly as aluminum and therefore isn't getting heat away from the diode as fast as aluminum. Since aluminum cools more quickly, it's better for this setup IMO.

The heatsink is also rather snug inside this host, its not loose at all. I wouldn't consider using a loose heatsink with any of my lasers for several reasons, this thing is tightly assembled & feels solid :beer:

OK sorry for the double post here, but I've gotten more 405 lenses today & was able to get a reading on this badboy using one of them :eg: Here's how it came out...

:beer:

Hey folks! Just an update on this hot little 405 here since its last measuring. I took another power reading tonight to see how much it still gives me, have a look at how this thing has been :D

Thanks for checking in :beer:

Me thinks your EL wire is messing up your readings as there are no single 405 laser diodes that can do 1000mW :crackup:

Hey folks! Just an update on this hot little 405 here since its last measuring. I took another power reading tonight to see how much it still gives me, have a look at how this thing has been :D

Thanks for checking in :beer:

It is awesome to see 1W of 405!

Me thinks your EL wire is messing up your readings as there are no single 405 laser diodes that can do 1000mW :crackup:

I'm glad you suggested this. I took the laserbee out of the acrylic casing & took another reading to see if you were right and it turns out you were :eek:

Have a look at this....

I'm still going to store the LPM inside that casing because it fits perfectly & I like how it looks, but damn I didn't think the EL wire would make any difference on the thermopile in there. Apparently everything I've measured in there is underspec!? Thanks Flaminpyro!! +:beer:

Holy crap-o-la it's higher out of the box, OK you have to tell me now Where did you get that 405 LD ????

I think you can make this work with a little shielding :thinking:

Last edited: