Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.6W Peak MXDL 3405 Review + Assembly Tutorial

DTR

Alright Guys meet the big brother to the Beast.

This is another great host from Jayrob LINK. It is a 3405 MXDL host with a very large heat sink on the driver. This unit is set to 1460mA and puts out a peak of 1635mW.

Also if you would like to see more of my reviews and tutorials please visit my compilation page.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/d...ting-compilation-thread-56450.html#post797151

----------EDIT----------
I have recently moved this unit into a silver MXDL. Just had to unscrew the pill and change it out with the one in the new host. Also added a copper module. All the 16X9 pics are of the new host.

----------EDIT----------

This host is a great solutions for high powered 445 builds. It has a very large amount of room between the bottom of the heatsink and the pill. The size gives a lot of options for coming up with a design for a large heatsink on the driver. This large amount of space also is good for new builders since it is not as tight as some hosts and gives a little extra room to work with.

It also have a massive custom made heatsink which works very well at keeping the diode cool. It has a rugged feel and massive body that makes this unit feels like it should be a dangerous laser.(Speaking of dangerous please use responsibly with lasers and always wear the correct safety goggles for the wavelength you are using)

*Host Images*
p1011024.jpg

69ae.jpg

p1010904.jpg

p1010914.jpg

The unit now has a copper module. There is some overkill for you.

p1010915.jpg

mxdl40.jpg

mxdl37.jpg

mxdl36.jpg

It was not made for this host but I do enjoy using the EzFocus adapter that was made for one of my 18650 hosts. It allows for easy one handed focusing with your index finger.
mxdl4.jpg

mxdl1.jpg

I have also fitted this host to take an 18650 battery. A must for high power 445 builds.
mxdl5.jpg

This host comes as a kit from Jay but I asked him add a large heatsink to the driver which he now offers on his SolorForce L2P kit. Just look at that thing.:drool: And it has a very professional look the way it is fitted into the pill.

3405%20Flex%20Max%202.jpg

3405%20Flex%20Max%201.jpg

Here is a pic from Jay's 3405/4170 page with a picture of the heatsink. This sucker is huge and really does a great job.
Two%20models.jpg

I have also modified the tailcap to accept an 18650 battery. For 445's set this high an 18650 is a must but if your driver is set under 1A I have found you can use 3 10440's in parallel using the holder modified by Jay or a single 18500 w/spacer for this project.

Millirad thanks for giving me the idea.;)

All you have to do is take out the plastic retainer by using a drill to cut it out.(if you get lucky you may have one without glue on the retainer and then all you would do is just pop it out with a screwdriver or something) Then put a blob of solder on the side contact point on the switch and press it in. It works great and the cap screws down to the perfect tight point.

Here is the tailcap before the mod.
tailcap.jpg

Here is the tailcap with the retainer and the clicky removed.
tailcap.jpg

tailcap1.jpg

Here on the Clicky switch just put a blob of solder on the contact point(marked in yellow) for a snug fit and press it into the tailcap. When you screw it in with a battery in it the first time it will press the clicky all the way down in the tailcap.
tailcap3.jpg

And there you have it a perfect fit for a 18650 battery.
tailcap4.jpg

Some 18650's have no positive tab so you could put a little solder mound on the positive contact board at the bottom of the pill for the best connection.

You can also use a spacer to center the battery but I have found that when it is screwed in the battery is held very snug and does not rattle in the host.

Since this is the same host that I did my mini-tut for putting together a hot kit on I will add it to this review as well.

I thought I would document the process that I use for the people that are thinking about picking up one of Jay's hot kits. This was my third build and am in no way and expert. Constructive criticism is graciously accepted.

First off got some diodes form Daguin. Extremely well packed as always.

mxdl10.jpg

mxdl12.jpg

mxdl11.jpg

Then the Aixiz modules from Jay. Remember you will discard the back of the Aixiz module as it is unnecessary for this project.

mxdl6.jpg

Now to the presses.

I currently use a diode press tool from Flaminpryo $15 LINK. This tool is great and would suggest to anyone who plans to build a laser. Plus it will countersink the diode past flush.

20pujcl.jpg

You can use a pair of large pliers instead of a vice as well to press the diode.

didepress3.jpg

If you don't have a diode press tool you can use a 3/16 socket for pressing the diodes into the Aixiz module. The previous method is better but this will work in a pinch.

mxdl17.jpg

Press it with a vice until the diode is flush with the module.

mxdl14.jpg

When it is in it should look like this.

mxdl1.jpg

Now comes the fun part. Get all your stuff out. You will need a soldering iron, shrink tubing, solder, pressed diode in the Aixiz module and your hot kit host.

mxdl19.jpg

mxdl15.jpg

Put the shrink tubing on the wires and push them back toward the host.

tsm0.jpg

Next we will solder the diode to the hot kit wires. Here is a pinout for this diode. It does say Blu Ray but the pinout is the same.
PHR803Tpins.gif

First get your flux and dab a small amount on the diode pins and your wires. Then get some solder loaded onto your iron. Hold the wire up to the diode pin and quickly touch it with your iron. The flux will draw the solder to the joint very quick. Repeat with the other wire pin.

When you are done it will look like this.

p1010890f.jpg

Next after the connections have cooled move your shrink tubing to the head of the diode covering the solder points and pins.(important to let it cool before you try to slide the shrink tubing down because it will shrink as soon as it hits something hot and will not go all the way up)

c6yo.jpg

Finally I like to use a butane jet lighter and hit the shrink tubing with it. If you don't have one you can just rub your iron over the shrink tubing until it is snug.

p1010893i.jpg

The hard part is over. Now just put your Aixiz module in your heat-sink and tighten the set screw with your allen wrench.

p1010894c.jpg

Place the heatink gently in the host making sure not to pinch or twist any wires.

p1010895s.jpg

Screw the top on and put in a lens.

p1010896v.jpg

Now you are ready to lase.:eg:

xki4.jpg

And as always here are some of my beam shots.:eg:

p1010935k.jpg

p1010937m.jpg

74wc.jpg

p1010942e.jpg

p1010899t.jpg

p1011025.jpg

c0fu.jpg

p1011027.jpg

p1011028.jpg

p1011031m.jpg

p1011032.jpg

p1011035.jpg

p1011038o.jpg

p1011039.jpg

p1011041.jpg

p1011044.jpg

p1011045.jpg

p1011046.jpg

p1011051y.jpg

mxdl17.jpg

mxdl18.jpg

mxdl19.jpg

mxdl24.jpg

mxdl26.jpg

Vidoes
Burning wood

Cutting Electrical Tape

Blowing Holes in a CD Case

Blowing Holes in Thick Plastic

Here is the LPM test. 5 minute run.:eg:

Final Thoughts.

This unit is a very capable host. I plan on using one for my next build and if all goes as expected will be running at 1.7A:eg: which should be quite a jump in output compared to this one running at 1460mA.

Anyway Hope you liked the review on this unit.:D

Last edited:

Hey DTR,
Very nice build...Quite a beast there. I am currently waiting on basically the same "hot" kit and host from Jay as well. This particular build will only (?) run at 1 amp. ha ha. I am a little way back on Jays' list since he is on vacation. I can hardly wait to get going on mine.
Again, great looking beast there. Oh, and thanx for the tutorial.:D

George

jayrob

Man another nice review/tutorial... :gj:

Nice job on the 18650 modification! :cool:

You really like to max out those diodes of yours!

Unfortunately, the special V5 FlexDrive with driver heatsink set up may not be available in the near future. I think drlava is out. And I'm not sure if he is going to continue them or not??

Edit: I spoke to him on 9/1, and he is setting up another batch of V5 FlexDrives. :) It will be about a month before they are available...

But for the most of us, I think the Micro BoostDrive at 1 Amp or 1075mA's will suffice...

Although we don't yet know just how tough these diodes are, a 1 Amp setting is obviously better for longevity...

Last edited:
Great build, the 18650 mod is a great idea for this host (which is one of my favorites).

cd520

Once again well done DTR!! You put 110% in your reviews. :bowdown:

Great write up there...makes me want to jump ship on the Arctic and build something for my self. Lots of learning still to do...

Morgan

^Jumping ship on the Arctic and building your own may be a wise move! :D

@ DTR - So, for the 5 minute test, it started at about 1,630mW and finished up at what? 1,300mW, (I couldn't always read the value)? So that's about 20% power drop. Not too shabby.

What was the host temperature at the end of the test? You probably didn't measure it but was it - cool / hot / very hot?

Another nice review!

M
:)

DTR

^Jumping ship on the Arctic and building your own may be a wise move! :D

@ DTR - So, for the 5 minute test, it started at about 1,630mW and finished up at what? 1,300mW, (I couldn't always read the value)? So that's about 20% power drop. Not too shabby.

What was the host temperature at the end of the test? You probably didn't measure it but was it - cool / hot / very hot?

Another nice review!

M
:)

It was right on 1300mW when it first began flashing.

It was pretty warm but it wasn't hot like my SS 10440 after its 2.5 min test. That sucker was hot.

I think the diode staying cool also helps to not tax the driver as much. I believe as these diodes get hot they pull more voltage in turn making the driver boost more and run hotter.

Thanks everybody. I do have a good time in the process of making these reviews as Morgan or Jay could tell you.

Last edited:
Great build, i really like the host. Haven't seen MXDL's since LOCs were the talk of the
town around here, their huge heatsink does make it and idea host for 445s.

DTR, Thanks for the tutorial it helped me to find out I could use a 18650
battery and how to do it.....THANKS...

Kittamur

DTR

Great build, i really like the host. Haven't seen MXDL's since LOCs were the talk of the
town around here, their huge heatsink does make it and idea host for 445s.

It definitely has great runtimes even at this high power.

DTR, Thanks for the tutorial it helped me to find out I could use a 18650
battery and how to do it.....THANKS...

Kittamur

I aim to please;)

DTR

Updated

Moved the pill and diode to a silver MXDL. Added copper module.

Tons of new pictures added. All of the 16X9 pictures are the new silver body.:beer: