Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

XBox 360 HD-DVD DT0811 Sled Diode I-P Plot

Ever wonder how powerful the Diode in the Xbox 360 HD-DVD DT0811 sled is. ::)
Here is the I-P plot; the module is placed on top of a CPU heatsink. The meter is the Knimrod DIY Laser Meter.

The test terminated at 142mA. :eek:

Hope this is helpful to you. :cool:

Attachments

• XBox360HD-DVD-I-P.jpg
    XBox360HD-DVD-I-P.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 970

chido

Holly crap!!!! It toped at 90mW :eek: That's really high for what was considered a low powered xbox diode.

EDIT: Were you using an aixiz module? If so, which lens? If it was acrylic, did you open the back?

chido said:
Holly crap!!!! It toped at 90mW :eek: That's really high for what was considered a low powered xbox diode.

EDIT: Were you using an aixiz module? If so, which lens? If it was acrylic, did you open the back?

AixiZ acrylic lens with back end opened.

I also experienced this with my 'low power' diode. I cranked it to about 160mA for a few minutes and it just kept on going. I think even these 'lower power' diodes are good for a solid 50-60mW

IgorT said:
[quote author=TheMonk link=1211171817/0#2 date=1211172431]AixiZ acrylic lens with back end opened.

Clear AixiZ acrylic lens or AR coated?[/quote]

I have yet notice any Clear Lens, are you saying there are some none AR coated Acylic Lens? :-/
I'll check it out tonight. :cool:

IgorT

Yes, there are non AR coated acrylic lenses, but that is a good thing!

AixiZ lenses can be 650nm AR coated, which can almost halve the 405nm output.
Untill we have 405nm coated lenses it is best to use clear ones, which are almost as good.

It would be stupid to push a diode to a higher power, while all this power was blocked by the coating. Want a power boost without pusing the diode, use a clear lens. AixiZ glass lenses are all coated for 650nm i'm afraid.

One question tho.. Was that 105mW (after optics) diode a monster, or could it be, that you used a clear lens there, and a coated one here? The powers still seem too high for coated tho.

Oh, and did the test terminate itself, or did you terminate it at 142mA?

BTW: The lenses in modules directly from AixiZ can be a mix of coated and uncoated ones. But from DX they would all seem to be uncoated. Looks like DX went for the cheapest option, which is good for us when it comes to 405nm.. ;)

TheMonk said:
[quote author=Photon_Pharmer link=1211171817/0#3 date=1211176055]What wavelength is this emitting?

Its blu-ray, so it should be ~405nm.[/quote]

Sorry for the stupid question, up until this point I thought hd and blu-ray used slightly different wavelengths.

This looks good! Is the DVD diode on these sleds anything special?

The 105mW one could be the combinations of Diode + Lens. :cool:

I terminated the test myself at 142mA when I noticed the power droped while the current was incresing. :eek:

I don't really care about the Red DVD Diode in a Reader. ::)

IgorT

Monk: What lens did you use in this test?

I don't understand why you only got 90mA at 140mA..

There is something very wrong with this graph. I get 70mW after the lens at 90mA.
Your graph shows 106-109mA for the same power. Is it possible, that u used an 650nm AR coated lens for this graph?

Is it possible, that you have a mix of clear and 650nm AR lenses, and that you used a clear one in the 105mW but a coated one for this graph?

EDIT: Oh, stupid me.. This is the DT0811 diode... Sorry.. :D

Not bad for the "weaker" DT0811 diode. Not bad at all... It needs a higher current, but can still put out 70 or even 80mW AFTER the lens! I had no idea how good it was! Thank you for doing this graph! I was talking to some people, and we were speculating, that the PHR803T might contain the same die as a 4x BR Burner, only in a different can. But after seeing this, it is more likely, that this is a 4x BR die in a different can. The 803 really could be a 6x BR die, that didn't come out good enough for use in a 6x writer. This is all just a lot of guesses, but if we had V/I/P curves, we could actually compare these to 4x and 6x BR diodes and maybe learn a bit more. Similar or identical electrical characteristics could tell us a lot, but not without the voltage. I'm gonna measure the voltage on my 803 right now, so Phenol can compare it to his 6x BR diode.

BTW, GooeyGus ran his at up to 160mA for a short time, but without a meter, he probably didn't notice the drop in power after 140mW.

P.S. You should have just mentioned, that this is not the same diode, when i asked about the 105mW one. :)

Kenom

are we talking about the second diode in the sled or the bluray one.  cause how is this different than the discussion in the bluray section???

The one with 4 pins or 3 pins??