Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-Boost V7 Mini & Super Mini (8mmx11.5mm) 1.8A Laser Driver

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, i just had a question -

I accidentally put a battery in backwards today into a 445nm build with X-Boost V7 and turned it on twice before realizing the problem and realizing this unit didn't have reverse polarity protection :(

Now the output is extremely low and weak and i was wondering if by doing this i damaged the driver, diode or both? Just interested to know if this unit would be suitable for re-use in future?

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, i just had a question -

I accidentally put a battery in backwards today into a 445nm build with X-Boost V7 and turned it on twice before realizing the problem and realizing this unit didn't have reverse polarity protection :(

Now the output is extremely low and weak and i was wondering if by doing this i damaged the driver, diode or both? Just interested to know if this unit would be suitable for re-use in future?

Questions like this you can just PM me for future reference. But Not big-E.:)

More then likely you just lost the driver as typically you would get a low power afterwords. Your problem was turning it on a second time that More then likely killed the driver and not the first time. Usually it can take a few seconds of reverse battery but not much more then that.

However you could have also damaged the diode too. You just dont know and have to test this.

It could be that the driver is still fine but the diode is gone.

What you need is a Testload to test the driver. There is No way for anyone to tell you if its still good or not guaranteed. Only way is to test with a testload the diver.

Please respond to this by PMing me and i will help you further if needed.:beer:

I'd like to buy one of these. I sent a pm but got no reply. Please I need one. Thank you.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
ICENINE, you could try Flaminpyro, -HERE- he looks to have the super mini in stock, but seems to be out of the mini right now.

So I finally got around to soldering my diode to the driver I bought from flaminpyro. But I'm only getting 575mw. Do I have to bridge solder connections something on the driver or something? Driver is the Xboost Super mini and diode is the 7875 462nm.

Hi, iceNine,
The mini and S-mini X-Boost from lazeerer has a range from, 150mW to 1.65/1.7W. I am not sure but the resistors might've to be bridged I know on the SXD those two are correct though, i think# R10 not sure and the one next to it.
Don't quote me on the bridge , so PM Lazeerer for details he makes them, Jeff i think just sells his product..

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
IceNine, funny you should post this particular issue just now. I recently purchased the same driver from Jeff (Flaminpyro), and as I went to set it with my testload, I found that it would not adjust much at all; real similar to yours.
Mine will vary from 550mA to 565mA or so, but no further in either direction. I was just about to PM Jeff for any clue as to why there would be little to no adjustment.
I've adjusted these before with no problem; no matter which range you're in, you should have adjustment within that particular range.

Pman

Hmmm, my last s-mini didn't work at all but the replacement did. Obviously something is wrong in production. I sent the bad one back and he gave me a free replacement but I haven't heard anything about what was actually wrong with the one I sent back. I'm concerned as I ordered a couple more s-mini a couple days ago. I'll check them as soon as they arrive. I have 0 concern for it being made right though. My replacement was first tested before shipping it to me. I am hoping that adjustable 5A driver will be back in stock soon as I want to finish my c-mount IR laser build. When you add some of the drivers to your cart and go to paypal and try to pay it will tell you the driver is out of stock.
Yes, Jeff only sells them and he is a great guy. Talked to him on the phone when mine didn't work. It's not his fault that a bunch of the drivers are out of stick either. He has had hundreds of drivers on order for awhile and is stuck waiting on them to be built or arrive so his hands are tied. I know it's just a small part but when it doesn't work and you are anxious to get the build finished it's frustrating.
From what you said Bow I am wondering if the pot is the issue then since mine output nothing at all. I don't think you need to solder across pins on that one but I could be wrong. The diodes I used the last couple of them for were set below what you guys are after. Take a look at the pics here to see if any of the bridging pics are your particular driver:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/x-drive-x-boost-88589.html#post1289145

On a completely different note I was going to order a couple pens from laserbtb but on top of the $12.56 hongkong post shipping they add more for some other shipping issue making the shipping cost $27.05. If I select DHL then at $30.59 they still add more to make it $49.91! What the heck! The 6% coupon helps a bit but still is way too much for shipping. Now I'm second guessing whether to buy the 2 pens I am missing from my collection (405nm and 650nm plus I want to test out their strongest 50mW 532nm pen with their IR filter installed to report on it). Total with slow shipping is $101.67 or $122.93 for DHL. They do take the 6% off the shipping too. Decisions decisions....

Hmmm again. I just checked and my drives have a tracking number from Saturday and USPS shows they haven't been delivered to the origins post office yet. Probably would have arrived today if they had been sent. I'll contact Jeff in a PM and ask about them.

Last edited:
Thank goodness it isn't just me with this problem then. K so I'll pm mr flaminpyro and ask for a replacement. Sorry to hear about you guys similar issues and hope we can figure this out. I was upset that maybe my diode was bad. sshould go with the xdrive instead and use 2 cells? don't know if theyre more reliable or not

Last edited: