Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTF is this!? eBay sucks!

So last month I sold my Arctic on ebay because eBay offered me "No listing fees". Ok cool. So I used that money to pay my bills because I'm currently unemployed. Still not that big of a problem. Now I just get an invoice for eBay saying "Heres your sellers invoice for this year! 21$. It will be dedicated from your primary billing method automatically" WHAT?! What the hell is this? If I would have known that was coming I would have made sure there was money in my bank!

Now that is going to overdraft my bank account and I cant afford to pay it right away so that means there will be late fees and its probably going to affect my credit is it not?

ped

They usually mean 0% insertion fee, you still have to pay FVF fee :/

Fire them off on email, tell them what you have said here , given its a small amount they may give you some leeway.

Or sell something else to cover the fee.

It aint called FEEbay for nothing, it sucks major gonads.

Last edited:
Yeah, discuss it with your bank over the phone. I had some stupid charge because I was buying a game from one of those online game sellers like GoG but they were using some foreign company for credit card processing (the company was legit, just foreign). So the foreign transaction charge came to like $20 -- for a $20 game. I called them up about it and explained the situation and they were willing to drop that charge, but told me to avoid that situation again.

This is another reason why I don't pay for anything via paypal, etc. using anything but my credit card. I don't want any direct access to my bank account for transactions.

I had no idea there were any other fees besides listing fees. If I knew there was annual fees I never would have used my account to sell stuff. I just hope my paypal doesn't get closed because of this.

I'll just have to eat the charges because im pretty sure my bank isn't going to help. Last time I had a problem with my bank charging me for an overdraft fee when my bank statement showed that it was clearly did not overdraft. Even the tellers were confused but the manager said it was my fault still. They refused to reimburse me.

Thanks for the help everyone. I hope that everyone who reads this will now know what I didn't.

Last edited:

sinner

That sucks.They must have been making crazy money with this technique, I also knew there were listing just the fee's.

daguin

In addition to the "insertion" fee you pay to list, there is also a percentage charge on the sale price

That is the "FVF" (for value fee) that Ped mentioned

There are also other potential charges for things like "excess" pictures, etc

The "listing" was free

The other charges still apply

Peace,
dave

DTR

Yep most final value fees are 10% but there are discounts for seller ratings, stores and some categories. It is a hell of a racket. They don't have one of the most profitable businesses in the world for no reason.;)

Last edited:

ARG

Well shit, I had no idea they charge that much.
Guess I won't be selling anything on ebay in the near future.

DTR

Amazon is just as bad if not worse. 18% but they also handle the payment so you don't have the extra 3-4% fee that paypal charges in addition to the ebay fees. In the end they are pretty close to the same. With the customer paying a convenience fee of up to 18% over what a retailer would offer them for cash.:)

Last edited: