Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: ~2W 445nm Custom Build

I am looking to get some quotes and purchase a new ~2W 445nm complete build. I would like a high duty cycle but would prefer a cheaper host (Mag Light) to keep the cost down.

anselm

1st of all: Hello and welcome to the LPF!:wave:
You may not realize how utterly dangerous 2 watt of laser light is.
I would appreciate it alot if you were to buy a few lower powered lasers as your first ones.
On ebay you can get 650nm red, 532nm green and 405nm violet (bluray) for as little as 6$.
You are not going to burn anything with those, and that's a good thing too.
But you can still have loads of fun, do experiments and learn a lot about collimated and coherent light.

A class 4 laser is absolutely not appropriate for a 1st laser!!

You can always get one of those later on.

I have worked with lasers in the past and am well aware of the dangers posed by high powered units. It has been quite a while since I have done any work in electronics which is why I wanted a complete build before I worked with kits.

Rich Z

A class 4 laser is absolutely not appropriate for a 1st laser!!

You can always get one of those later on.

I wouldn't bet real heavily on that being a fact. Actually I would encourage people to get what they want while they STILL can. "Always" may be over with sooner than you think. I'm seeing articles in the local papers about lasers dazzling airline pilots, which invariably leads to comments about cheap powerful lasers being easily availble to the unwashed masses. It's not difficult to imagine that this sort of propaganda in the "popular" press is a likely precursor to a TOTAL outright ban. Since lasers don't have an equivalent of the NRA, there will be very little, if any, organized resistance to prevent it from happening.

So if you want a 2 watt unit. Go for it. Just be sensible about the precautions you need to be aware of. There may be no second chances if you screw up.

anselm

No matter what the laws will be, as long as a certain company keeps selling a certain
line of projectors (they are coming up with new models, too), you can always
just build one yourself...

Proper 2Watt builds are not cheap.

Proper Copper + 405-G1 lense etc.etc

It can get a little expensive. (If you know how to do it yourself, it might be cheaper)

For the people who don't know much about electronics{Like me}, we have to buy from the PRO's :)

I'm with Anselm on this, 2W is not a good idea. The Majority of the people on here start with the $6 Ebay ones then prob build a red or a PHR then go on to build a 445nm.

You will get more satisfaction knowing the beast in your hand was made by yourself :)

I totally agree with Kookapeli. Get yourself a reddie and be happy. ;)

Red laser is nice, they are good burners (i've got a 300mW Red 650-660nm)

Not the most visible, but burn quite nicely. <-- Please note 300mW is not Not good for using as a general pointer.

:)

Rich Z

No matter what the laws will be, as long as a certain company keeps selling a certain
line of projectors (they are coming up with new models, too), you can always
just build one yourself...

From what I have heard, this site suffered some legal expenses from a "certain company" for this exact reason. I don't think it takes much imagination to come up with the thought that now that they are aware of this unauthorized use of their product, that they will take steps to make certain it will stop in the near future.

@Rich Z
"Just more advertising. ;)" as a friend of mine said. I don't think that the company will completely redesign laser diodes or something like that so hobbist don't use they.

From what I have heard, this site suffered some legal expenses from a "certain company" for this exact reason. I don't think it takes much imagination to come up with the thought that now that they are aware of this unauthorized use of their product, that they will take steps to make certain it will stop in the near future.

No necessarily, Because they make a lot of $$ off us doing this. They just wanted to make sure they can't be connected with what we are doing with them and any lawsuit coming from our use.