Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Work in progress) First build: 635nm 500mW in C6 host

The drivers are about 15-20 miles from my house at this point in time, so I'm assuming I will get them tomorrow, but I also have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to do much. Really excited to see 638nm in person :D

:)

DVqdAEK.jpg

Still need to install everything permanently, the heatsink is hanging out right now because I haven't soldered the wires at all yet, but everything's working great :D

Sorry for the poor quality, I'll get better pics once everything is fully assembled.

EDIT: This red-orange beam looks soooo good... The terrible divergence is the only thing keeping this from being my favorite diode...

UP NEXT: 12X in Phobos host!!

Last edited:
Very nice! I may just have to get this is my collection...

I'll build one for you if you want ;)

EDIT: Definitely going to do the mod to make this one mode. I hate having to cycle through 4 different modes just to get back to high power...
EDIT 2: Beamshot added to OP :)
EDIT 3: Does the strobe mode damage the diode at all? I don't trust it...
Also, this thing burns pretty well. I'm guessing it's close to 1W... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, but I'll stick to building my own.

I can't answer the strobe question, but yeah...I don't trust them either. I have one build w/ a 2 position switch, and in low mode, it dims the laser to apx 5mW. This came with the flashlight host, and I was surprised it wasn't build into the Cree driver. At least it let's me use my 2W monster in the house with the cats. They just LOVE the blue.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll stick to building my own.

I can't answer the strobe question, but yeah...I don't trust them either. I have one build w/ a 2 position switch, and in low mode, it dims the laser to apx 5mW. This came with the flashlight host, and I was surprised it wasn't build into the Cree driver. At least it let's me use my 2W monster in the house with the cats. They just LOVE the blue.

I'd like to see some more 2 mode drivers, one mode goes about 5-25mW and the other goes to max output. Would make them great multi-purpose tools rather than just expensive dangerous toys ;)

I would consider adding that feature to my drivers if I knew how. I haven't disassembled my switch, but I imagine there is some resistor in there to limit the ground connection. I guess it's just coincidence that it knocks my 2W down to ~5mW.

If anyone's interested, I'm probably going to put this up for sale to help pay for my LPM...
EDIT: On second thought, I may be able to just barely afford the LPM without selling this, so I might be able to sell this metered :D

Last edited:
keep us informed about possible sale

Will do! I'm leaning more towards "definitely selling" than "possibly selling" though, due to lack of moneys at the moment. I will have to hold off on it until I get my LPM though, so I can accurately measure the output. Guesses don't mean anything around here ;)

Last edited:
Re: (Work in progress) First build: 635nm 500mW in C6 host (Possibly for sale soon)

It seems all my 405-G-X lenses are extremely dirty, and I think I figured out the cause.
MY LENSPEN. And yes, it's a real one, bought from the lenspen amazon page. So now I have 2 405-G-X lenses and both of them seem much dirtier than before I tried cleaning them... I'm going to have to start using something else.

If (when) I sell this I'm going to sell it for less than I had originally planned simply because of the dirty lens. If they know what they're doing, they can probably clean it easily, but if they don't they'll probably get pretty upset. So there's that. Looking for a new way to clean my lenses :)

Re: (Work in progress) First build: 635nm 500mW in C6 host (Possibly for sale soon)

Congratulations FroyoShark! Acheivement Unlocked :) Would it be worth putting some new lenses in there for the new buyer? Just a thought, might not be worth it to you, but if your a builder, that might reflect on the level of quality in your builds. More pics completed :)

Congratulations FroyoShark! Acheivement Unlocked :) Would it be worth putting some new lenses in there for the new buyer? Just a thought, might not be worth it to you, but if your a builder, that might reflect on the level of quality in your builds. More pics completed :)

Buying and adding a new lens would of course increase the price since I won't really have a use for this one unless I can figure out how to clean it... Someone is already interested in it, and I've mentioned to them via PM twice that the lens is dirty, and they've read through this thread, and they haven't said anything about it, so I'm almost certain they're fine with the dirty lens. If he ends up not buying it, I'll definitely talk with the buyer about getting a new lens :)

Cool, you're way ahead of me. :) Once again congratulations :gj:

Cool, you're way ahead of me. :) Once again congratulations :gj:

Thanks. Be on the lookout for more builds/sales from me... I'm just getting started ;)
I would have 10+ builds done by now if money wasn't such an issue...

ogguYVi.png

Look forward to seeing this one completed :)