Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked lasers Advertisement?

Thanks bschott for your input.

Theres living proof that a banner for wickedlasers makes it look like we endorse them.

It really doesn't mean that we endorse them. I like to watch that new show "The Beast" with Patrick Swazey. Occasionally girls gone wild commercials come on. Does that mean I am into that kind of thing? I mean i like it, but does a commercial during my show mean that is what I endorse?  It is just an advertisement. What is the first thing veteran members do when a noob is welcomed to the forum? They are told to read, and that the search button is their friend! So with that said if they don't take the time to read and learn then let them buy from WL! cOld has enough to worry about.  

michael

spyrorocks said:
Thanks bschott for your input.

Theres living proof that a banner for wickedlasers makes it look like we endorse them.

To be honest, I did think when I logged in today was:

"huh, new ad?  Sharks with fricken lasers on their heads...*chuckles out loud then I started thinking*  Wait, didn't I hear something about Wicked Lasers before in a post here?"

I shrugged off the nagging feeling I had heard the company name before and opened a separate tab to their website to look to see what they had...since I had nearly bought something from CNI yesterday.  As I surfed their site, something kept tickling the back of my mind about the company name and I finally went back to the tab that had LPF open and did a search on WL.  I knew why LPF would take the ad money but, yes, to the newbie (myself) it did look like LPF was endorsing WL.

If I had NOT already did some serious forum lurking before I jumped into buying a laser, I probably would have bought from Wicked Lasers and that's no lie.

The TV show has no control over what ads are placed while its running. I believe cold has control what ads are displayed on his forum. That's not really a very good comparison of the situation.

bschott said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1240919541/0#16 date=1240953170]Thanks bschott for your input.

To be honest, I did think when I logged in today was:

"huh, new ad?  Sharks with fricken lasers on their heads...*chuckles out loud then I started thinking*  Wait, didn't I hear something about Wicked Lasers before in a post here?"

I shrugged off the nagging feeling I had heard the company name before and opened a separate tab to their website  to look to see what they had...since I had nearly bought something from CNI yesterday.  As I surfed their site, something kept tickling the back of my mind about the company name and I finally went back to the tab that had LPF open and did a search on WL.  I knew why LPF would take the ad money but, yes, to the newbie (myself) it did look like LPF was endorsing WL.

[highlight] If I had NOT already did some serious forum lurking before I jumped into buying a laser, I probably would have bought from Wicked Lasers and that's no lie.[/quote] [/highlight]

I said "I like to watch that new show "The Beast" with Patrick Swazey. Occasionally girls gone wild commercials come on. Does that mean I am into that kind of thing? I mean i like it,[highlight]but does a commercial during my show mean that is what I endorse?[/highlight] . My point is if sombody walked in the room while I was watching the commerical they would assume that yes I do. But if they stick around (like noobs using the search button) then they would see what is really going on. ;)

thanks
michael

*shrug* Just typing the truth as it pertains to me.

Now, I personally do a lot of research before I get into a hobby to make sure I understand what it will require from me (money, time, energy, personal hazards to watch for). One thing folks need to realize is this website is often quoted at places like Fark.com, Digg.com, and YouTube.com

Hypothetical: The common internet surfer sees a "cool" video on Youtube of a common laser pointer being converted (incorrectly might I add) into a burning laser, reads a few comments and sees a link to LPF from a person saying that the poster of the video should read LPF for the correct way to make a burning laser. The common websurfer come here and just quickly browse a few threads, decide most of the talk is over their head and they don't want to spend a lot of time learning about lasers. They just want a laser that burns so they click on an advertised link....you know the rest.

In my opinion, please don't get angry guys BUT.... Let them buy. I stumbled here like everybody else. If somebody is so impatient that they don't want to read a little bit of easily accessible info, then let them buy from WL. it is every consumers personal responsibility to research their own purchases. Google "lasers" and WL comes up. Should we censor google too?

thanks
michael

chipdouglas said:
I said "I like to watch that new show "The Beast" with Patrick Swazey. Occasionally girls gone wild commercials come on. Does that mean I am into that kind of thing? I mean i like it,[highlight]but does a commercial during my show mean that is what I endorse?[/highlight] . My point is if sombody walked in the room while I was watching the commerical they would assume that yes I do. But if they stick around (like noobs using the search button) then they would see what is really going on.   ;)

thanks
michael

Not to upset you or degrade your reasoning, but I think a more accurate comparison would be if you worked for ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox...whatever...and you made the decisions on what ads ran during what shows. What commercials run during a show is an indication of what ads the network approved and agreed that those companies are allowed endorse the show.

please read all the type after the highlight bschott. It clearly shows MY logic.  ;)

thanks
michael

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Please remember LPF will always remain neutral. Laser Pointer Forums, LLC, is independently owned and free discussion of any companies will always be allowed.

As the forum has grown so has the cost and time required to maintain the site. Advertising ultimately supports the forum.

I can promise there will not be more than 3 banner ads on the top, and 2 ads in between posts.

Moving forward ... with increased advertising revenue, I can do more to improve the site.

I have experimented with vBulletin and a conversion will be possible. I am still having issues upgrading YaBB unfortunately.

Would you guys support a move to vBulletin? I would hire an expert vBulletin designer to make 2 awesome laser related layouts... one very much like Dark Shadows. and a light layout too

One of the clear improvements in vB is the search feature... flatfile systems like yabb struggle w/ searches on large sites.

Regards,

-Avery

I would be all in for a similar layout as our Dark Shadows but with a better
search engine... 25 results just doesn't go far enough back into the archives
when looking for info... IMO.. :cool:

Jerry