Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do you think Wicked Lasers is such a bad company?

It's not just old reviews. There are recent reviews of them screwing up as well. Like I said earlier , one enthusiast and a few brand new members who seem very keen to sing their praises isn't suddenly going to make me empty my savings into WL.

Also just looked at their 635. 400 dollars? Nah, I'll get an SM 635 instead...

Last edited:

DJNY

It's not just old reviews. There are recent reviews of them screwing up as well. Like I said earlier , one enthusiast and a few brand new members who seem very keen to sing their praises isn't suddenly going to make me empty my savings into WL.

Also just looked at their 635. 400 dollars? Nah, I'll get an SM 635 instead...

Keep in mind that mostly only the bad Wickedlasers experiences are getting reported here. When everything is fine, most people are just fine and enjoy. Nowadays with hundreds / thousands of orders a month, a handful of (temporary) unhappy people isn´t much. Guess they would get 98-99 % positive feedback or similar on Ebay these days.

According their 635nm, I thought we´re done with that. There are cheaper alternatives. But if people like the host, prefer the corrected beam and are ready to pay their price for it, it´s fine. I don´t understand the complaining at this point. There are always cheaper and more expensive products, same with most other products in the world. No one is forced to buy it.

That´s just my point of view / observations as I think they mostly changed to the more positive site these days.

IWIRE

I would think you will receive your flashlight, but yes, time will tell...

And yes especially with WL as proof, it's much easier to keep your trust to begin with than to spend years hammering out distrust that still circulates in forums and old reviews...

I just thought it would be interesting to see if they have improved. It's only one order but will they pass or will they fail ? If I'm hoping to build a 3.5w laser and it ends up 3.2w. It's a 3.2w laser.

If you don't receive your flashlight, you might just be that 1-2% of negative reviews we all read about on the forum... but no use speculating, let's see how your order progresses. Good luck :beer:

There's also the question of just how many lumens the Torch is actually spitting out... I remember LED Museum reviewed the Torch once and found their 4100 lumen claim to be legitimate... who knows if that still holds with the newer Torches

And yea I agree 100% with DJNY, WL's order volume is probably like 10x greater than all the other laser companies out there... and I don't usually spend the time to review good buying experiences with my lasers, I only post something when I have a problem with a laser

Last edited:

IWIRE

It's not a real scientific study. It mainly just gave me an excuse to order it :) I'm hoping it really sucks as a useable flashlight, I want insanely bright and my battery to last 3 minutes :)

IWIRE

Lipstick on a pig.

That's a pretty good analogy right there ! Lol ! :beer:
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in awhile.
I hope I get my flashlight. :crackup:

Edit: I actually got it ! They said 3 weeks and it was exactly 3 weeks. There was a week delay between when they said they shipped it and when it actually started moving. But it still made it in the time frame they said it would. I had no problem paying for my order. They quickly acknowledged receipt of my order. Informed me of when it supposedly shipped. Got it in my hand in the time frame they stated. It was packaged well, the product is just as crazy as described. Plus somehow I wound up with an extra battery I didn't order. So, in this one isolated instance, they passed with flying colors. :)

Last edited:

Treser

I hope the battery of your torch stays cool and the main switch does not stop working. I bought the same torch version 1 before 2000 I believe it was somewhere in 2008. The first time I used the torch it worked fine. Burned some thin papers and even got, after minutes of focusing, a cigarette burning. I assume the one you received now is much more evolved and lost some of it children problems. By me the problems started after 2 months when the battery got to warm in the charger and started melting + the main power button did not work half of the time. The torch ended somewhere in my box with old Surefire torches and other left behind light emitters.
No I am also back on the point buying from Wicked lasers as I believe these days their products have come on a point that they are quite affordable for their output and safety options. Not anymore like the thousands of dollars you had to pay back in 2008 instead of $500 these days for a 2 watt strong handheld laser.
Looked a lot around for alternatives but, or they missing the safety futures, or they missing a proper housing or they just missing the rights parts that will stand the time and proven to be reliable. Seen from that standpoint I believe at this moment Wicked laser is the better choice. They must have learned from their mistakes and want to survive as a company so have to give us a good experience otherwise they will bankrupt these days that we so easily can share our experiences.

Looked a lot around for alternatives but, or they missing the safety futures, or they missing a proper housing or they just missing the rights parts that will stand the time and proven to be reliable. Seen from that standpoint I believe at this moment Wicked laser is the better choice.

I wouldn't say that quite yet... Of course, Wicked Lasers has gotten better, no doubt about that! But compare an Arctic let's say to a LaserGlow Polaris, a laserbtb 445nm or even a custom built laser here on the forum and there is no competition(at least not yet).

But if you have the money to spare, & like the host then Wicked Lasers is still a good choice. But for the BEST laser, WL still isn't in the #1 spot for most laser hobbyists.

-Alex

Last edited:

Treser

Tha Greenlander but the Laserglow Polaris has only 1.3 watt compared to 2 watt for the WL Arctic and cost almost the double of the WL. +/- 1200 vs 600
What makes that a better choice?
DIYS is no option at this moment as I have no machine to produce a body and don't want to fail my handheld laser by the weakest part I use in the whole proces. Maybe in the future when I get the virus and it gets a hobby and I want to spent some more time on it I will produce one myself. But anyway than its always good to have first some reference to fall back on ;-)

Tha Greenlander but the Laserglow Polaris has only 1.3 watt compared to 2 watt for the WL Arctic and cost almost the double of the WL. +/- 1200 vs 600
What makes that a better choice?
DIYS is no option at this moment as I have no machine to produce a body and don't want to fail my handheld laser by the weakest part I use in the whole proces. Maybe in the future when I get the virus and it gets a hobby and I want to spent some more time on it I will produce one myself. But anyway than its always good to have first some reference to fall back on ;-)

Well honestly LaserGlow's prices then to be a bit on the extreme side but they offer some of the highest quality lasers you can buy. You can't compare WL to LG, LG just simply blows them out of the water!

Their customer service is also excellent & the shipping times are(in my experience) very quick! <1 week to get a laser from Toronto, Canada to California!

In all, it's worth the extra cash since you know you are basically buying some of the best lasers money can buy :)

-Alex

Treser

Ok you almost convinced me now but is there some tests out there that make a 1.3 watt resulting in a better beam and more powerfull, read better starter for my campfire and pointing further in to the stars than a WL 2 watt laser?
I am really interested as I would prefere to have the best beam available but also most powerfull so my wife who is an artist can paint on wood. So also a very strong beam at near distance.
We are living on top of a NZ mountain and really like something serious.

Ok you almost convinced me now but is there some tests out there that make a 1.3 watt resulting in a better beam and more powerfull, read better starter for my campfire and pointing further in to the stars than a WL 2 watt laser?
I am really interested as I would prefere to have the best beam available but also most powerfull so my wife who is an artist can paint on wood. So also a very strong beam at near distance.
We are living on top of a NZ mountain and really like something serious.

Before you even buy such a laser you need safety goggles....and using a laser to "paint on wood" isn't the best idea. Use a paint-brush, must safer & more choice in colors!

Safety goggles:
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

-Alex

Treser

Tha Greenlander we would never ever use a laser without goggles. I even order 4 goggles when I have decided which laser it will be.
I am very cautious about safety matters as I already stated why I prefer the WL as they have quite some safety measures build in to avoid some of the mistakes that can happen.

By painting I am not talking about the conventional painting with colors but painting an artwork by burning the lines in to the wood.
We are living in the middle of a wet native protected forest and have lots of old fallen trees laying around that we can use as building material and artworks.
I hope you get the picture ;-)

We are also very serious and full grown members of this globe who can luckily afford the best but first take the time to find out what is really the best in price/quality/safety comparison. So I am already happy you pointed me on to the Polaris and funny as it is it rings some bells for me when I looked in to lasers back in 2008.
But I have no idea or call back why as we all get older and forgetting a lot in 5+ years time ;-)

Tha Greenlander we would never ever use a laser without goggles. I even order 4 goggles when I have decided which laser it will be.
I am very cautious about safety matters as I already stated why I prefer the WL as they have quite some safety measures build in to avoid some of the mistakes that can happen.

By painting I am not talking about the conventional painting with colors but painting an artwork by burning the lines in to the wood.
We are living in the middle of a wet native protected forest and have lots of old fallen trees laying around that we can use as building material and artworks.
I hope you get the picture ;-)

We are also very serious and full grown members of this globe who can luckily afford the best but first take the time to find out what is really the best in price/quality/safety comparison. So I am already happy you pointed me on to the Polaris and funny as it is it rings some bells for me when I looked in to lasers back in 2008.
But I have no idea or call back why as we all get older and forgetting a lot in 5+ years time ;-)

Good, safety should always be the #1 priority when coming to lasers. Honestly though the Polaris is a great laser, but if you just want power & don't need the highest quality laserbtb has some great 445nm lasers aswell for much cheaper!
PL 405/445nm 500-2000mW

Also just in case you are curious, here is a video of a Wicked Laser Arctic vs a LaserGlow Polaris burning comparison :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/made-video-laserglow-polaris-1000-vs-wicked-arctic-79369.html

-Alex

Treser

The safety goggles you are pointing me to is that the best that’s available? As it is quite a affordable product I would not want to safe anything on this. Especially reading about WL goggles are not known for their protection levels and the risks that are still involved even when you are wearing safety goggles.
Point is we can't afford to damage our eyes in any ways.

The safety goggles you are pointing me to is that the best that’s available? As it is quite a affordable product I would not want to safe anything on this. Especially reading about WL goggles are not known for their protection levels and the risks that are still involved even when you are wearing safety goggles.
Point is we can't afford to damage our eyes in any ways.

Yup, Eagle Pair are some of the best goggles you can buy :)

-Alex