Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why can't we raise $400 in donations?

GSS

I can fall into the trap if no one is donating why should I. Yes its discouraging to see the low donations of never even coming close to the goal and feel im donating for others to learn and buy more toys but other peoples money is absolutely none of my bussiness. I donate a little when I can it makes me feel good as I enjoy and learn here and others really go out of there way to give. Like its been said a million times a $1 dona adds up. Its nice to see donations are up this month because of the give away but sadly next month its most likely going to be down again

gozert

I see it more as a token of appreciation than having to donate to keep the forum alive. The ads most likely generate enough money to keep the forum running, otherwise we would've known. While there are only 250-300 members online daily, there are still many guests viewing the forum, and so are the ads.

Davidx

Many of you make good points. I really have no idea what it costs to maintain this forum.
We do have many ads. I don't know what these advertisers pay for their spots either.

Thanks to all of you who post. I learn something new almost daily.

Even if the adds pay for the forum I don't mind donating. This is such a large part of my social life and learning it's the least I can do. I hope the creator of the forum makes a little bit of extra money because he should. LPF probably took a large amount of time, energy, and money to create and maintain, why shouldn't he make a little profit from his labor. In all actuality, he probably doesn't. Most ventures require a lot more to maintain than outsiders realize. I know when I wrote my buisness plan I made it as detailed and realistic as possible and my monthly costs to operate were always twice what it was on paper.

There is nothing wrong with people not able to or willing to donate. The ones that can and do hopefully make up for those than can't or won't. I donate when I can and remember too but there are more months I do not than do but I don't feel guilty about it. There are other ways to contribute to the success of this forum and money is just one of them.

The day-to-day moderation is done by volunteers, which leaves only hosting. IMHO it doesn't take nearly as much as $400 to host a forum like this.

I'd be happy to donate a little bit if it was ad-free, like Wikipedia.

OTOH I try to help members whenever I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Just donated 50$ I should have been donating earlier! My bad!

According to the staff of lpf it's considered bad taste to tell how much you've donated. They say it makes others feel like their donations are less worthy and actually might discourage people from donating.

Pman

I've donated every single month since I joined (haven't missed as far as I'm aware of) mainly because i greatly appreciate the forum existing and to me it's worthy to continue. I like that it's more serious than other forums where "anything" goes such as swearing and never ending childish name calling.
In my overall life I am serious about trying to love my neighbor as myself. I can't stand the attitude that you have to always get something in return for helping others. Sure, some people will take advantage of that but I'm not going to stop trying to help others with no reward for myself because of it. All that does is create bitterness in my heart which helps no one including myself. Takes effort to be nice and care for others but it's so worth it;)

GSS

I've donated every single month since I joined (haven't missed as far as I'm aware of) mainly because i greatly appreciate the forum existing and to me it's worthy to continue. I like that it's more serious than other forums where "anything" goes such as swearing and never ending childish name calling.
In my overall life I am serious about trying to love my neighbor as myself. I can't stand the attitude that you have to always get something in return for helping others. Sure, some people will take advantage of that but I'm not going to stop trying to help others with no reward for myself because of it. All that does is create bitterness in my heart which helps no one including myself. Takes effort to be nice and care for others but it's so worth it;)
Very nicely worded:beer::)

To be honest half of this site is ads, I remember when the front page was so filled with ads that you had to scroll down the entire length of your screen before you could see the actual forums.. I have a hard time understanding how they need donations on top of that to cover the costs.. That being said I have donated a few times, but I don't do it every month.

Except the chinese have wised up, and now are joining as members to post terribly formatted sale threads that they constsntly bump, instead of paying for an ad slot....not just the chinese at this point either.

Except the chinese have wised up, and now are joining as members to post terribly formatted sale threads that they constsntly bump, instead of paying for an ad slot....not just the chinese at this point either.

I must have missed these. In the buy/sell/trade forum? I don't think I've seen one.

There are some good points made here. I feel like the ads should cover the cost to run the forum, but I do feel like I owe it to LPF to give at least a little donation. This forum is partly what led to what is now one of my most intersting/fun hobbies. And it has made me a little money as well. I will definitely be donating some this month.

So I was thinking about doing a laser raffle/giveaway, with the entry fee being a $10 donation to LPF. If I did this, would I be able to have a moderator confirm that the contestants have indeed made a donation?

Last edited:
@visiblegreen
That may be true sorry. But if you divide that by the thirteen months ive been here thats only about 3.80$ a month. Which is not much at all. I just gotta keep it regular now. This website is a great source of info

Last edited:
+1 Pman! seriously! even a dollar here and there. If i could count the amount of components i have not blown up thanks to the forum.... ah jeeeeez!

Gabe

Do you think the mods get paid for their constant hard work?

Never add them to your skype list. They will bug you every day asking how you are doing while probably secretly hating you lol

I must have missed these. In the buy/sell/trade forum? I don't think I've seen one.

There are some good points made here. I feel like the ads should cover the cost to run the forum, but I do feel like I owe it to LPF to give at least a little donation. This forum is partly what led to what is now one of my most intersting/fun hobbies. And it has made me a little money as well. I will definitely be donating some this month.

So I was thinking about doing a laser raffle/giveaway, with the entry fee being a $10 donation to LPF. If I did this, would I be able to have a moderator confirm that the contestants have indeed made a donation?

Just contact c0ldshadow as that is what I did for this months fundraiser.
Also other members gave really good advice :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/win-laser-forum-donations-fundraiser-contest-95194.html