Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who was the first one...

jayrob

Not sure...

That goes way back to the PS3 days.

I was among the first to spend the money on the blu-ray burner harvest though...

Check this post from Hemlock Mike... He posted this just after him and Dr. Lava got the first 6X builds going:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser...hread.php?t=20822&highlight=hobbies&page=3#58

He said that I ('blazed the trail'), because I had harvested 2 different 2X drives and had some expensive mistakes. In the process, I learned the hard way (and shared), that the pin connection is different for these blu-ray drives!
Jay

Last edited:
No idea... I know I had one of the first 6x's though... I think I was maybe the 4th or 5th person..... I bought 5 of those drives at close to $300 each  :D

I think I may have been the first to hit 200mW with a 6x though... I know there was sort of a 'one upping' contest between Dr. Lava, Hemlock mike, Jayrob, Dave and I. 120mA was considered 'dangerous territory' for a 6x back then  :p

GooeyGus said:
No idea... I know I had one of the first 6x's though... I think I was maybe the 4th or 5th person..... I bought 5 of those drives at close to $300 each  :D

I think I may have been the first to hit 200mW with a 6x though... I know there was sort of a 'one upping' contest between Dr. Lava, Hemlock mike, Jayrob, Dave and I. 120mA was considered 'dangerous territory' for a 6x back then  :p
Lol ;D
I remember when we thought that 60mW was alot for a Blu-Ray ;D

daguin

GooeyGus said:

It feels a bit different when a $300 diode blows . . . . . . .

Spyderz20x6 said:
Lol ;D
I remember when we thought that 60mW was alot for a Blu-Ray ;D

I remember how excited I was when we figured out that my Milos laser was actually putting out 18mW when he thought it was only putting out 11mW  :eek:

Peace,
dave

I think the first one on this forum was Daedal, he bought a couple $100 ps3 sleds and after try three he made a working one. We were all amazed.  :D I'll try to find that thread.

If you look far enough back, there are posts on this forum that say 5mW of 405nm won't even be visible to the human eye. ;D

daguin

styropyro said:
I love reading those really old outdated threads. ;D It's funny how amazed we were with such low powers.

And the quality workmanship too, eh?

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1236976249/0#10 date=1236992456]
I love reading those really old outdated threads. ;D It's funny how amazed we were with such low powers.

And the quality workmanship too, eh?

Peace,
dave[/quote]
I got a kick out of this quote:
stevetexas said:
ALSO, I like the fact that you were creative with the case. Lasers DO NOT have to be a tube. :cool:
These days "Box-Lasers" are almost frowned upon because we are so spoiled with our Krytons, pens, and heatsinked flashlights. ;D

There were several of us testing the first 405's but the 6x came on quickly. DrLava & I ordered the first 6x drives ($330) and harvested them. I was the first to find that they are fragile because the window came loose and killed my first attempt. I got another and found the upper limit :( My third 6x still runs strong.
DrLava posted micro pix of the damage on my first 6x to warn others to be careful harvesting the diode.
DrLava and I were the first members of the 6x club. Ignore that Dave guy starting the 8x club ;D

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
There were several of us testing the first 405's but the 6x came on quickly.  DrLava & I ordered the first 6x drives ($330) and harvested them.  I was the first to find that they are fragile because the window came loose and killed my first attempt.  I got another and found the upper limit  :(   My third 6x still runs strong.  
DrLava posted micro pix of the damage on my first 6x to warn others to be careful harvesting the diode.
DrLava and I were the first members of the 6x club.   Ignore that Dave guy starting the 8x club  ;D

Mike
Lol ;D
What current do you have your third 6x set to?

JLSE

Hemlock Mike said:
There were several of us testing the first 405's but the 6x came on quickly.  DrLava & I ordered the first 6x drives ($330) and harvested them.  I was the first to find that they are fragile because the window came loose and killed my first attempt.  I got another and found the upper limit  :(   My third 6x still runs strong.  
DrLava and I were the first members of the 6x club.   Ignore that Dave guy starting the 8x club  ;D

Mike

I remember this well... You guys stirred the pot, and 350. bucks later I joined the exclusive 6x club... Remember the double dog dare Mike?

I think I was at 220mA and the only one to exceed that at the time was GooeyGus. Now a year later and Daves got me itching... I wouldnt want to be on any other forum ;)