Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who was the first one...

WB --

I was waiting for you to reply here -  That double dog dare was while I had a few to drink !!!  I stopped at 210 mA and gave you the win because I didn't want to trash the third $330 diode !!!!  I'm still getting 200 mW.

YOU WON THE DARE  ;D  but mine still works  --- you??

Mike

we almost had a tripple dog dare but who ever backed out.

Attachments

• Blu2_005.jpg
    Blu2_005.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 149

JLSE

Hemlock Mike said:
WB --

I was waiting for you to reply here -  That double dog dare was while I had a few to drink !!!  I stopped at 210 mA and gave you the win because I didn't want to trash the third $330 diode !!!!  

YOU WON THE DARE  ;D  but mine still works  --- you??

Mike

we almost had a tripple dog dare but who ever backed out.

LOL, mine died at 230mA or 250mA IIRC, but it wasnt in a large heatsink and the heat demon took it :'(  I ran it a little too long and it just went p00f!

I thought blowing open can reds was a heart breaker... $330. US + shipping + currency conversion = $450. Canadian :-/

I still have that diode in my graveyard as a reminder of how expensive stupidity can be :(

WB -- you still won the DDD ;D :D :(
That was a fun night as we went 10 mA at a time !!!!!

Mike

JLSE

;D ;D ;D

Hey, as long as they keep producing 300$ drives, there will be more fun and expensive times ahead!

Edit*

I found a pic from that build.. There is a thread here somewhere, this was the first heatsink I had mine in, before converting to a smaller for a handheld.

P1090411.jpg

FireMyLaser said:
i agree.....Kipkay is one of the founding fathers of the laser community, The contributions he has made cannot be measured, and i idol the man. Enough said!  ;) </sarcasm>   <--Look! i "pulled a dave"

Say what you will, but kipkay's works have sent more people to this forum than any other single factor. Even if his earlier videos were...misinforming, his works got people interested and sent them looking for more info. Anything that gets people interested can't be all bad, and his recent video that I've seen included a driver as well.

pullbangdead said:
Say what you will, but kipkay's works have sent more people to this forum than any other single factor.  Even if his earlier videos were...misinforming, his works got people interested and sent them looking for more info.  Anything that gets people interested can't be all bad, and his recent video that I've seen included a driver as well.  

true! kipkay was one of the first laser "hacks" i saw..and eventually led me here where i found solitude and happiness ;D

JLSE

pullbangdead said:
Say what you will, but kipkay's works have sent more people to this forum than any other single factor.  Even if his earlier videos were...misinforming, his works got people interested and sent them looking for more info.  Anything that gets people interested can't be all bad, and his recent video that I've seen included a driver as well.  

My thoughts exactly. In Oct. 07 I found a video by this kipkay character about making a burning laser in a mag light. The funny thing was, not long before I saw the video, the thought had crossed my mind with no outside influence, that a laser that was capable of generating heat to burn data to a disk might be worth looking into. But it was the kipkay video that really sparked the motivation for me.

My first laser consisted of only the parts found in the removed sled, including the optics. The first ones I made and for 6 months after were not done with axiz modules but rather brass tubing.

I had no Idea what to power them with and found the odd email add'y on different websites, contacting the owners for help with the drivers.

When I finally ended up here a few months into it, Gazoo was the first guy to help me with the driver. In fact I still have those PM's :)

Ive come a long way in my abilities, and am greatful for all the help I have recieved in the near 2 year mark of being an LPF member.

Heres a pic of probably my 4th or 5th laser, long before I jumped on the axiz band wagon :-/ Not a bluray, but close enuff ;)

Attachments

• cooloffhousing.jpg
    cooloffhousing.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 104
pullbangdead said:
What use is a driver if he doesn't even tell you that you need to set the current...

JLSE

Spyderz20x6 said:
Lol!!! ;D
That looks so ghetto!

Ghetto would be an axiz in a plastic box.... ;) This is what i would call figure it out on your own ::)

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=pullbangdead link=1236976249/16#22 date=1237009304]Say what you will, but kipkay's works have sent more people to this forum than any other single factor. Even if his earlier videos were...misinforming, his works got people interested and sent them looking for more info. Anything that gets people interested can't be all bad, and his recent video that I've seen included a driver as well.
What use is a driver if he doesn't even tell you that you need to set the current...[/quote]

2 AAA's wont give you more than 400mA anyway. The current starts at 400 at best and drops immediately after a minutes use.

I know this thread is old af, but here is the FIRST blu-ray ever stuffed into a pen, a PS3 diode from way back in spring 2008 by Dr. Lava. I still have it, it still works, and I literally just took this picture. :)

s-DOjzaIS6ywv3hWivD9UeKIosjmWs8dC5IiU7KL6eEx3N5bVZ5z0XbjfEK6_iMIdDFFe9pBuL45vPTqYAOCzwMttziPg5WqFvz6KCpfhH28gSTNFD3nd5ajWRMt9OxNUmN24GFzLAA0Tn7Fvotlm0LIgZ3W--No-FXcJ8NhigInT3G9f-FUI7spqgiN3sAbL6_9H269HW0ZhdcTkBYb95FmoNkFcCOvcaXJi4QsibnD8znC_C4GbqsozRBaRXW2DqnOx395YVHodk6m06eu485sTeYE4MCFnzM8qTlLdSL-lHrfB0cESJVdQsk2IN5z_RkuWW1la8HS-uhrBh-U04sIC4tICrxI1890_v2WQAeoY-t9ueUarrpgCS-Y_Oaw_GF0CMxB1RvBN2mx3xhwnqq8jMIMf089NW9mM4LH8afUTC8fYbvH5Sf3OSsiI9fNxTERvRNcFVHBAGqrVuVgJwfCcCCKmPMS6Egmhydwgsy-KSlD2hTZAAtJMjtppVqTArSGEYrnIDJPBZjmbdxih1H6_EBYpdn3pK115GijM7AEpJSHzMQxiVImdgKX5j8h0U5gGJsWdCo2CjolfaT5lWuwodkMTNOjy-IZFg=w922-h519-no