Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

When will they learn?

jakeGT

Personally this has always really bugged me, and now it's honestly just making me mad. I mean there's enough crap already to go around about our hobby, my favorite hobby, that we just don't need this. Especially those of us who are safe and responsible with the laser hobby, it's just not fair.

So I would like tocry out to all of the idiots who are ruining our reputation as hobbyists, to please, grow up, and grow a Brain for Jesus' sake.

I see this on the news more and more all the time, and it's just not fair. Grow up you losers, get a life. Quit shining your lasers at things that should not be shined upon. If you wouldn't want somebody shining a powerful laser at your car, plane, or body, then don't do it to other people.

9910dedb.jpg

Personally, I am going to buy all the laser stuff I can WHILE I still can, before the high-medium iq impaired make it even harder for me to do so. And please wonderful community of lpf , let's never let our hobbie die, and never give up. We shall continue to buy diodes, and make our own lasers, despite what I feel may be the inevitable. Thanks everyone, and thank god for lasers!

Tonga

Jake I couldn't agree more, and I don't get it. Some people just don't care what they do man! I am also trying to get as much supplies as I can lay my hands on too and just store em until I can get to the projects. But this makes you wonder what is in store down the line.

That's another good example of whats called thinning of the gene pool:( Lets just hope that If they ever ban lasers, it's just the pre built/assembled ones ( AKA China ). I think ( and hope ) that the people with enough brain cells to assemble there own. Would never be dumb enough to point them at any vehicle, or person! But yes. I believe I may be stocking up on components myself, just in case!;)

I don't see the point in stocking up on components, the Projectors, DVD drives etc will always be around so parts will still be readily available :)

Probably won't see an outright ban, what will most likely happen is new legislation will be passed making punishments more severe, and the existing laws(at least in the US), which already prohibit outdoor use of lasers over 5mW will actually start being enforced.

Rafa

Probably won't see an outright ban, what will most likely happen is new legislation will be passed making punishments more severe, and the existing laws(at least in the US), which already prohibit outdoor use of lasers over 5mW will actually start being enforced.
I don't actually see the police carring LPM's.

rhd

Frankly, legislation controlling use of lasers to a greater extent, HAS to happen.

If you extrapolate the power of diodes that will be available for < $100 bucks 5 years from now, 10 years from now, etc, you'll realize that it's inevitable.

1W 445s are scary enough. What happens when 10W IR diodes are cheap?

That's weapon territory. You're talking about power that would burn skin, not just eyes, and wouldn't take a lot of sophistication to use offensively. The reality is, lasers are going to be used as weapons. It's not hard to get there from where we are now. It's not speculative either. We're GOING to get there. While there's no Moore's law for lasers, they're still technology, and technology doesn't stop moving forward.

Anyway - this is an awesome hobby for sure - but you really have to be realistic about the fact that lasers are going to be weapons in the not so distant future. That means regulation - and that's probably good.

umss

I have never seen a news report like tha here in the UK. I didn't realise it was made such a big deal there.

I've seen one or 2 on those cop programmes, Police camera action kinda thing but yeah, once in 2 blue moons

I can recall only few incident in Finland that has exceeds the headlines. And those (sad) events involved shining to someone's eyes.

The biggest and latest event was when a laser was shined to a hood of moving car. The driver was dazzled from reflections from the hood. The reflection was so huge that he/she wasn't able to avoid it by turning head.

I really don't understand why people do that... What is fun about shining a laser at a aircraft? Just plain stupid, might as well shoot a shotgun at school children from a quarter mile away... What a bunch of morans! :p

I don't actually see the police carring LPM's.
We used to say that about window tint when it first got critisized by law enforcement-- the HATE not being able to see into our cars! :wave:
Now many( especially state troopers) DO carry tint meters and give out tickets if you are driving in thier state, even if your state has no such laws.

good biz for the meter makers!!:shhh:

haks two cents:thanks:

jakeGT

But still, all I'n all, does this legislation need to come tomorrow, or next week, because idiots want to shine people I'n planes and cars for shits and giggles?

Frankly, legislation controlling use of lasers to a greater extent, HAS to happen.

If you extrapolate the power of diodes that will be available for < $100 bucks 5 years from now, 10 years from now, etc, you'll realize that it's inevitable.

1W 445s are scary enough. What happens when 10W IR diodes are cheap?

That's weapon territory. You're talking about power that would burn skin, not just eyes, and wouldn't take a lot of sophistication to use offensively. The reality is, lasers are going to be used as weapons. It's not hard to get there from where we are now. It's not speculative either. We're GOING to get there. While there's no Moore's law for lasers, they're still technology, and technology doesn't stop moving forward.

Anyway - this is an awesome hobby for sure - but you really have to be realistic about the fact that lasers are going to be weapons in the not so distant future. That means regulation - and that's probably good.

rhd

Valid point - if these idiots weren't being idiots now, then there wouldn't be the imminent pressure to legislate now.

Rafa

This world would not be what it is if idiots didn't exist.