Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's your education?

What is your main area of education?

• Medicine

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Applied Science

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Natural/Formal Sciences

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Humanities/Social Studies

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • The Arts

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • The Professions/Crafts

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Business/Law

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
same here. lasers motivated me to study e.e :)

Nice! My motivation was gameboys lol

Working on an Electrical Engineering degree. I am a noob right now in regards to circuitry and electrical whatnotters, but give me time :)

Give it a year, it gets very fun!

How'd you guys do in Highschool?

90% average, mainly because I loved physics and music, and I breezed through calculus. That was fun, coming to class late, everyone is sitting down quietly, and I realize we have a math test.

Then I find out that for every absence they take off a percentage of the grade? :wtf: No thank you...

Ahhh the fine print...

Working on a bachelors in EE. I'm seriously considering going for the Masters now.

Currently interning at Vishay R&D! :D

benmwv

Im going to college for EE in the fall. Just graduated High School.

I was 4th in my class, with a 3.94 GPA.

IE, I feel the same way :D
I'm actually still in highschool, I skipped 3 grades ahead in math, 2 in science, and 1 for every other course, due to the fact I skipped in middle school; I have aspirations to skip more, though. My GPA is above 3.5, I don't get an exact number until a week or so. Although I'm in highschool, I still take ECS college classes. I have a hard time finding a reason to continue college; I can't justify that much money and time for a piece of paper. What's the point when I learn more in less time while reading? Does anyone have experience to say if college is actually worth it, even if you know everything the course would teach you? I really like philosophy, and I'm taking a few classes related to it, so I said Humanities. I know it won't make a lot of money, so I'll probably double major with philosophy and cosmology or something similar, so I can pay dem bills, yo. Anyone got any advise for someone still in highschool, probably going to college soon? e.g. Does the college you go to really matter?
EDIT: sorry for the slight derail :p

Last edited:

Fiddy

I got:

Cert IV in PLC's and control
Cert III in Electrotechnology
Electrical Supervisors License :D

IE, I feel the same way :D
I'm actually still in highschool, I skipped 3 grades ahead in math, 2 in science, and 1 for every other course, due to the fact I skipped in middle school; I have aspirations to skip more, though. My GPA is above 3.5, I don't get an exact number until a week or so. Although I'm in highschool, I still take ECS college classes. I have a hard time finding a reason to continue college; I can't justify that much money and time for a piece of paper. What's the point when I learn more in less time while reading? Does anyone have experience to say if college is actually worth it, even if you know everything the course would teach you? I really like philosophy, and I'm taking a few classes related to it, so I said Humanities. I know it won't make a lot of money, so I'll probably double major with philosophy and cosmology or something similar, so I can pay dem bills, yo. Anyone got any advise for someone still in highschool, probably going to college soon? e.g. Does the college you go to really matter?
EDIT: sorry for the slight derail :p

I don't entirely regret the experience... had some really fun times in college, met some good friends. It's worth it for a semester or two, but not really after that. Certainly not for humanities.

... I have a hard time finding a reason to continue college; I can't justify that much money and time for a piece of paper. What's the point when I learn more in less time while reading? Does anyone have experience to say if college is actually worth it, even if you know everything the course would teach you? ...

Just bear in mind, some job opportunities will be denied to you with out that piece of paper. Know quite a few brilliant young men who went back for degrees after being in the job market, because of lack of advancement. Besides like Infinitus said, parts of it may be fun ;)

~ LB

IsaacT

Very well thought out response to a very common question nowdays. +1

All true. Ultimately I think if I do go back to school it would be for engineering rather than anything humanities related.

Or if I win the lottery, I'd go just for history, and humanities, just for the lectures with no intent to graduate, nor care for getting a degree. I've known two "professional" students... fascinating people... of course they were only able to pursue unending education purely for enrichment through being from very well off families.

Actually attended a lot of school, in many different disciplines. Only what interested me. Hopefully I'll make something of it one day. There were no majors for what I wanted at the time.

~ LB

Very true, I know of a few who gained employment through relationships made in school and frats and sororities.

~ LB

As I have grown older, I've certainly come to appreciate that it is who you know, and not at all what you know that matters.

In retrospect I wish that realization came to me earlier.

So true. I've found talent & excellence matters far less than I thought when I was younger.

~ LB