Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What size of drill to use for press fitting aixiz?

rebman

Re: What size of drill to use for press fitting ai

daguin said:
[quote author=rebman link=1231598839/0#13 date=1231624651]
Who ever said I was going to sell them? I actually was only going to do this because I am bored and I have a host that looked similar to the MXDL and I wanted to confirm sizes, although I am not at my shop. I wanted to make one in my layout program, I am not located in China, I don't know what you were implying.  :-/

If you "know" all this stuff, then you know that "similar" is not the same, especially with metal to metal tolerances.  If your host is different, what possible value would knowing the dimensions of a heat sink for another host be?  You also stated that you didn't want to buy the host you were going to make the heat sink for.  Why would you want to make a heat sink for a host that you will never own?

If you want to make a heat sink for your host, measure your host.  If you want to copy someone else' host, and you are not going to get that host, the only value I can come up with of knowing its measurements is to make them for sale, unless you just like to make and collect heat sinks ;)

Are you a heat sink collector?

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Excuse me but, it is none of your business what I plan on doing with a heatsink, or even why I would like to know the dimension. So if you aren't going to provide me with it there is no need for your posts.

daguin

rebman said:
Excuse me but, it is none of your business what I plan on doing with a heatsink, or even why I would like to know the dimension. So if you aren't going to provide me with it there is no need for your posts.

I'm afraid you have a basic misunderstanding of the interwebz. My decision to post does not require your approval or permission. Whether you think it is any of my business or not is not germane. You can do anything you want with the dimensions for the heat sink and I can type posts. We BOTH even get the chance to decide for ourselves if we want to reply to the other. Isn't that cool?

You see freedom goes both ways.

You have the right to ask this question and I have the right to question your intentions.

Peace,
dave

Rebman --

Most of us here gather our parts for a project -- Measure everything and then machine to fit.  Your approach seems --- well --- different.  
Myself, I made all the measurements first -- I didn't care what others used or made.  Some of my mountings have been brass washers turned to fit and soldered together.
It's hard to provide help with limited info.
Mike

rebman said:

Daguin is making a valid point. What motivation should anyone have for sharing that information with you?

rebman

phoenix3200 said:
[quote author=rebman link=1231598839/0#16 date=1231626864]Excuse me but, it is none of your business what I plan on doing with a heatsink, or even why I would like to know the dimension. So if you aren't going to provide me with it there is no need for your posts.

Daguin is making a valid point.  What motivation should anyone have for sharing that information with you?[/quote]

Guess I didn't know that it was classified information....

People need to relax, smoke a bowl or something.

Somebody asks the ID of the MXDL host and this is how you respond?

I didn't realize asking someone for dimensions suddenly means they live in china and are going to put us all out of business (And kick our dogs while they are at it).

Next time someone asks how many mA they should drive a 803T diode with I'll make sure to interrogate them on their intentions, their country of origin, and finish up by telling them to figure it out themselves.  After all, they could be using this information to mass produce blu-ray lasers and destroy the livelihoods of our members (*cough*)!

Come on guys, the dimensions of a flashlight aren't exactly a trade secret.  Even if he wants to sell heatsinks, what is the problem?  Many members on this forum sell to us, as a consumer I would welcome competition.  Refusing to tell him the dimensions does nothing but make the forum look unfriendly.  Unfortunately, I do not have a MXDL I can measure, but if I did I would not hesitate to take 5 seconds of my time to help you (Judging how a CR123A battery fits flush, I would guesstimate 14mm).

Indiscriminately jumping on someone based on how they word their questions is insane.  From what I have seen, hobbyists building lasers is based on a wealth of information shared and refined through many people.  From sams faq to this forum, people don't hesitate to share what they can.

Incidentally, I am thinking of putting together an MXDL based laser but would like to double check if everything will fit before I order the parts.  I was thinking of building a LM317 driver but dislike SMD soldering so I need to know how much space there is.  As well, I am hoping to check which batteries would fit in the case, and how loose they would be.
I suppose I better scrap my plans, or at the minimum put on a bulletproof vest.

daguin

Yeah -- Sometimes I just get cranky.

Especially when it comes to intellectual property

And see -- The system continues to work.  You get to post whatever you want to post too :)

He gets to post his question.  You get to post your dislike for my attitude.

I guess it's just me that's not allowed to post what I think

Oh, and by the way, what you wrote is called reductio absurdium  and it is what is referred to as a logical fallacy.

[Just because you don't get the joke doesn't mean it isn't funny ;)  ]

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
Yeah -- Sometimes I just get cranky.

Oh, and by the way, what you wrote is called reductio absurdium  and it is what is referred to as a logical fallacy.

isn't it Reductio ad Absurdum or maybe even ad ridiculum?

daguin

Reaver789 said:
[quote author=daguin link=1231598839/20#22 date=1231640734]Yeah -- Sometimes I just get cranky.

isn't it Reductio ad Absurdum or maybe even ad ridiculum?[/quote]

The "ad" isn't needed, but you're right about the "extra" "i" I inadvertently added in absurdum. Too much typing with little nieces around ;)

Peace,
dave

Regarding the ID-size for "press-fit" using a Aixiz-module. The correct answer is a .001" of "interference-fit" per 1" of diameter. So for a 12mm-hoole, this would mean you would want a hole about .0005" than the largest-diameter of the Aixiz. I just measured 25 Aixiz modules I have in stock right now and they vary in diameter from .476" to .482", a .006"-spread, ten times as much tolerence as we can have! You can see why there is no "perfect-size" to make a hole for a press-fit of an Aixiz module, which is why most of us use thermal-epoxy and set-screws. We are talking fractions of the width of a human-hair here, but when you start talking about press-fits, it really matters.

Otherwise, I would recomend drilling your hole undersize by .005"-010" and reaming the hole to 15/32", as Hemlock Mike suggested. This will produce a tighter-hole than if you were to drill it with a 15/32" drill, drills produce hole which are larger than nominal, some worse than others. Using a 15/32" reamer will produce a hole that will fit only the smallest of the Aixiz-modules. Buy a 10-pack,  a few would be a press-fit, most would not fit at all.

BTW, I do not know what the OD of the MXDL-heatsink is, (I have never made one), but if you can keep a secret,....... the diameter of the DJR-Heatsinks are .803"  

DH