Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What kind of rock is this???? crazy

ix551

Someone already stated in the comments that is some kind of calcite.
There's a lot of fluorescent minerals out there, if you come across some don't forget to share some pics :beer:

SLPbum

Ya ive been noticing that there are while I was searching.. I work with rocks, on a drilling rig I look at the cuttings from 4-18,000ft down. Im going to start to shine my laser at samples.. See what happens..

Thanks
RDCII

It might be a big crack rock.
Pretty sweet.

Last edited:

daguin

Yep. Calcite. Lots of minerals react to UV light with fluorescence and/or phosphorescence.

Use a lower power violet laser. You do NOT want the "blaze" from the violet light to overpower the fluorescent reaction. Much of it is very subtle

De-focus it. You want to cover a bit more surface at least during discovery.

Shine your laser on lots of stuff. You will be surprised at how many things react. yellows, oranges, greens, whites, etc are all possible reactions

Be careful shining at "crystal" structures or broken or polished surfaces. The possibility for specular reflection is real

Peace,
dave

jakeGT

I would go ahead and say, even after a these answers... Crack rock. For sure

Jake will also tell you crack tastes better when lit up with a laser. Take a vid with one of your own rocks, jake :D

EDIT:
TyroneBigguns-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Seen it myself with Calcite and Wellemite. Both undergo delayed fluorescence.
Also soda glass exhibits this kind of after glow as well.

I would go ahead and say, even after a these answers... Crack rock. For sure

I've seen one the size of a small baseball. Its was pink and flaky inside. :whistle:

And no, I never did crack. But I knew a lot of girls that did. :eg:

Benm

Be careful shining at "crystal" structures or broken or polished surfaces. The possibility for specular reflection is real

Wear safety goggles... they also make the fluorescense more visible, as long as its in the red or orange part of the spectrum. You can see interesting fluorescent effects on all kinds of things - also lacquers and paints, although the usually fade faster than the rock in the video.

LSRFAQ

Thats calcite with cadmium sulfide or zinc silicate inclusions. Judging from the orange spectrum and long persistance.

See if you can find selenite from Northren Ohio on Ebay. Milky Selenite glows green for a long time after blue excitation.

Why did I say Ohio? Because the traces of ions in the mineral that cause the glow very from place to place. Willimite (Zinc Sulfide) from New Jersey glows like mad, yet if you get it from California, nothing...

I'm from Ohio, my Dad used to go hunting for Selenite.

Steve

Last edited:

jimdt7

Here is what he sais in the description:

''In reality the color is more pink than orange (and much more beautiful), but on the camera it appears orange.''

Jim

I'm going to have to go hit up the Utah rock shops up the road from me in Zion, and see what i can find out!!!