Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is your internet connection speed?

AnthoT

This is about as good as mine ever gets. Around ~$70 per month for a VDSL connection.

276055028.png

About the same as mine ;)

Things

I like trying to beat my old records hehe

2019336071.png

Strangely I get better ping times to Sydney, even though it's physically much further away than Canberra.

vk2fro

$90 a month gets me a 20/1mBps ADSL2+ connection, along with a voip line of unlimited calls (which I NEVER use). I also get 400Gb a month of upload/download, so can afford to keep my torrent client running.

Its great and really not that expensive when you realise why:

Its got a 99% uptime SLA, which means if I have downtime, I can basically penalize them on the monthly charge (and trust me, I did it when some duffs at telstra stole my line pair and left me with no connectivity apart from a wireless 3g modem for 1 and a half weeks. That month my service was FREE :p)

Download and upload speeds on this line are plenty fast enough for me. :)

Things

Telstra 3G ... worst 3 months of my LIFE. Seriously, lol, that crap is horrible. You can get some pretty decent speeds - at 2am in the morning, in between the constant dropouts. And don't even try use the internet around 4-7pm. :p

vk2fro

Of course Telstra 3G is going to be crap on a heavily oversubscribed tower. I've never had an issue with my 3g apart from the occasional dropout in the peakest of peak times. Its my out and about connection. At 5 pm at the pub with a couple of mates showing them the youtube clip of the signing floppy drives (see the win thread) there was actually no buffering what so ever.

3G/4G totally depends on the number of subscribers using the tower (and if your town only has one nearby, tough luck), and the backbone to the internet servicing that tower. If its only a 256k link, its gonna suck :p

Now Optus, dont speak to me about Optus. Then of course theres Vodafail..... Both are push play on tape material (ie. push search, wait 5 minutes like waiting for a c64 game to load)

Now Optus, dont speak to me about Optus. Then of course theres Vodafail..... Both are push play on tape material (ie. push search, wait 5 minutes like waiting for a c64 game to load)

The correct phrase is "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE". Yes I'm a C=64 junkie. (and VIC20 before that). :na:

vk2fro

ahhh yes of course - PRESS - slight oops on my part.

LOAD "*",8,1 to get at the first game on the first 1541 :)

Blord

That floppy disk was so slow that I upgraded the C64 with Speeddos. 10x faster load time. :)
There was also a DolphinDos but that wasn't reliable.

ahhh yes of course - PRESS - slight oops on my part.

LOAD "*",8,1 to get at the first game on the first 1541 :)

And of course if you don't know the name of the game and assuming that the on you want isn't first:

LOAD "$", 8 (no 1 for the dir listing)

AUS

Of course Telstra 3G is going to be crap on a heavily oversubscribed tower. I've never had an issue with my 3g apart from the occasional dropout in the peakest of peak times.

We use 3G modems in a piece of equipment at work for remote audio broadcasts. Worked fantastic for 5 years, but we have been having huge problems for the last 6 months or so in all areas.

I trialed some Telstra 4G modems here and was averaging 35Mb up and 15Mb down. One day it tested at 50Mb down! We are moving onto 4G in all markets here soon for that reason.

As apple found, what Telstra calls 4G in Australia isn't what they call 4G everywhere else in the world. Our "3G" network is already the same technology as 4G in the USA.

AnthoT

Upgraded :D

7437431634_200802ab7e_z.jpg

My Ping is MUCH better then the previous 200ms :) also both up & down up to ~7mb :)

Benm

I like trying to beat my old records hehe

2019336071.png

Strangely I get better ping times to Sydney, even though it's physically much further away than Canberra.

Distance is hardly a factor.. 300 km only increases ping by 1 ms. In the 65 ms recorded, the signal could literally have travelled halfway around the world ;)