Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what is the most dangerous colour laser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the wavelenght. To say 808nm is a very dim brown colour.
All wavelenghts over 808 are completely invisible to our eyes. :beer:

To me it appears as a dim reddish color actually.

For the most part when dealing with IR you're talking about wavelengths of over 808nm or much much higher as quemofox pointed out... so I'll stand by what I said... IR has no color (at least to us humans with mark one eyeballs).

Last edited:

You puny humans with your Mk. I eyeballs. I'm so cybered out that even my fellow Smartlinks are made of computers.

(Shadowrun reference for the win. Sorry, had to do it.)

EDIT* IR can burn all skin types too though, can't it?

Absofreakinglutely. The thing is, in general, I don't think people are anywhere near as likely to be flashed by an IR laser. From that perspective, if we consider the odds of being accidentally exposed, the most dangerous will be 532nm simply due to the number of cheap green lasers out there, or 445nm blue, which at close distance are almost certain to leave lasting damage.

Any wavelength can burn sufficient output.

Gazen

The last post in this thread was 7 years ago.

Necropost from someone with 16k posts?

Edit: I don’t really care about this, just bringing it to his attention.

All wavelengths carry their own dangers in addition to their inherent energy: blues can cause long term chemical damage, greens are the most visible so will distract for the longest, reds scatter less in the atmosphere, and ir is almost invisible.

Last edited:

Razako

From a practical standpoint, IR is by far the most dangerous. You can have a huge amount of 808nm power and it will visibly look like a little cat pointer if that. Other IR wavelengths over 1000nm are completely invisible and you can be frying your retinas without even knowing it. I own a LOT of laser wavelengths EXCEPT for IR. I simply want nothing to do with it.

...Oh crud, looks like I posted in a necro thread lol.

Last edited:
Well, it's an old thread, but if a veteran member brings it back to life and adds something of value to the thread, I don't see why not, that's not mr. mod responding, just my personal opinion, I'm merely a janitor here :p

I believe IR is great for burning, you can get more bang for your buck with IR, of course, that's why industry uses it, but for us as laser pointer hobbyists, it's not very useful except with crystals, or to see holes shot through materials, ablation, smoke and fire :) - Just last night I was focusing 980 nm from a fiber laser into some cardboard and burning some nice holes and lines through it with a 20+ watt IR laser, but I had the curtains drawn, no one else in the apartment and some OD7 laser goggles on :)

a Vet did this?!!? :crackup:
hey Raz, I almost posted as well until I just decided to look at the date.

Last edited:

GSS

I really don't mind necro posting either. I don't know what the big deal is? unless it was a sales thread..
It's kind of fun to see what was talked about years ago:)

Last edited:
I really don't mind necro posting either. I don't know what the big deal is? unless it was a sales thread..
It's kind of fun to see what was talked about years ago:)

the funny thing is that I never really minded it either ;)

nagami

interesting thread, I have the same question
o.png

Last edited:
Only time I mind necro’s is when someone just adds something like “cool” and walks away, especially if I think they are a newbie troll, but old trolls, that’s OK :p Not.

I’ve found good past threads and bumped them up myself without even saying cool, but no one has complained yet, if interesting.

If the poster has something to add then add it, not like we have been swamped around here all that much. Not like the Todays Posts list is going by faster than I can read it.

Last edited:
I don't like it as I waste time seeing it is just some new guy trying to raise his post count. I think these dead threads should remain so, unless someone can add something new. But, that's just me.

I asked two years ago why we just don’t lock old threads but no one wanted to. However dragging up some mundane old thread to respond or without asking more on the subject does annoy, like answering someones year old question, they aren’t normally needing a response by then, but if someone has questions and have already failed finding the answer searching, I believe asking in an old thread of the same subject is better than creating a new thread because it keeps all the responses in one thread for future searches.

Yes, where it's adding to the content or as you said, someone is searching for info and rather than create a duplicate thread they ask in an existing one, that's reasonable.......that said I don't think I have needed to do that much at all, none that I can recall, but if someone had new info about a specific diode that's been out for years, then posting it in the original thread would be reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.