Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What does it mean?!?  (your name that is)

NS0201 said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1212516689/0#9 date=1212530732]Styropyro = Styro (as in styrofoam) + pyro (as in fire).

WHat do you like to make naplam??? Thats the only thing that those to things mix to in fire.[/quote]
Heh, when I was 11 or 12 a couple of friends and I "discovered" that styrofoam cups dissolved and turned into jelly when put in paint thinner. We lit it on fire and had so much fun with the stuff, we even named the stuff styropyro (we had no clue that it was a common thing for other kids to make). I thought that name was genius so I have used that name on the internet ever since ;D

NS0201

Re: What does it mean?!?  (your name that is)

styropyro said:
[quote author=NS0201 link=1212516689/24#31 date=1212707054][quote author=styropyro link=1212516689/0#9 date=1212530732]Styropyro = Styro (as in styrofoam) + pyro (as in fire).

WHat do you like to make naplam??? Thats the only thing that those to things mix to in fire.[/quote]
Heh, when I was 11 or 12 a couple of friends and I "discovered" that styrofoam cups dissolved and turned into jelly when put in paint thinner. We lit it on fire and had so much fun with the stuff, we even named the stuff styropyro (we had no clue that it was a common thing for other kids to make). I thought that name was genius so I have used that name on the internet ever since ;D[/quote]

Ha, I like military and expolsives just for a FYI. But common and what all kids did???? Hell NO!!!!!!

The mixture is called napalm, Technically it's gasoline. But this is a high tech military expolsive mixture by mixing exstensive chemicals . This is extremely dangerous...

Here read this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm

NS0201 said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1212516689/24#32 date=1212709537][quote author=NS0201 link=1212516689/24#31 date=1212707054][quote author=styropyro link=1212516689/0#9 date=1212530732]Styropyro = Styro (as in styrofoam) + pyro (as in fire).

Heh, when I was 11 or 12 a couple of friends and I "discovered" that styrofoam cups dissolved and turned into jelly when put in paint thinner. We lit it on fire and had so much fun with the stuff, we even named the stuff styropyro (we had no clue that it was a common thing for other kids to make). I thought that name was genius so I have used that name on the internet ever since ;D[/quote]

Ha, I like military and expolsives just for a FYI. But common and what all kids did???? Hell NO!!!!!!

The mixture is called napalm, Technically it's gasoline. But this is a high tech military expolsive mixture by mixing exstensive chemicals . This is extremely dangerous...

Here read this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm
[/quote]
Technically the napalm kids make isn't real napalm, the "napalm" everybody plays with over here is just styrofoam dissolved in gasoline. The real military napalm is some nasty stuff!

BTW, I used to be into explosives and fireworks. To be honest I am very happy that I am out of that stage ;D

NS0201

I really only kept with it because I am pretty much A outdoors man/like military. My life consists of school hunting/outdoors/ I lasers/military stuff.

rkcstr

Going off topic in my own post  ;D

Used to make "napalm" myself... loads of fun, but very dangerous as it sticks to anything (including your skin!), so you have to be very careful.  Soap solids work well as a thickener too.

NS0201

No the best is gasoline benzenze m4 gelling agent and polystesine. But I'll onkly make that if the gov takes my guns away.

P.S I am very anti goverment Ill explain later gtg

Event Horizon

When I was a little kid I was very much into astronomy. I was given a book on space and astronomy (The Universe and Beyond Third Edition by Terrence Dickenson) and I absolutely loved it at the time. Everything written in it was fascinating. In particular one diagram depicted the observable universe. The boundary of which appears as the time at which cosmic background radiation began to be released. The book extrapolates beyond that to the point at which time began at the start of the big bang, and referred to it as the "Event Horizon" or time zero of the universe. I really liked the way that sounded. Many years later when I was getting into online video gaming, I found that I couldn't think of a good name to go by. After much deliberation, I went with "Event Horizon."

Only later on did I find out that it was also the name of the point of no return on a black hole, and also the name of a sci-fi horror movie. But both are pretty good so I guess I'm lucky.

Kenom

For those that don't know how I came up with mine. about 10 years ago I made a motorcyle helmet. (pics will be below) I painted the helmet like venom one of the best villains in the marvel universe (I likes spiderman better but it's not so cool as the helmet I made) and just combined my name with venom to make kenom.

I would like to say I am NOT a artist. I threw this together the best I can. It is also rigged with a set of headphones inside with a basic female 1/8 stereo adapter on the back to just jack into whatever I wanna jam to.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

daguin

Kenom said:
For those that don't know how I came up with mine. about 10 years ago I made a motorcyle helmet. (pics will be below) I painted the helmet like venom one of the best villains in the marvel universe (I likes spiderman better but it's not so cool as the helmet I made) and just combined my name with venom to make kenom.

I would like to say I am NOT a artist. I threw this together the best I can. It is also rigged with a set of headphones inside with a basic female 1/8 stereo adapter on the back to just jack into whatever I wanna jam to.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

I like it!

Peace,
dave

Abray

lol that's an awesome helmet!

my name (in real life) is Alex Bray. Alot of my friends always shorten that to just "bray" or "abray".

I think I have also explained this before, at least over on LC, maybe not here, though.

It's a rather long story, how "Schrecken Licht" came about.
About 10 years ago I worked at a laser machining shop, which is where my fascination with lasers was born. Anyway, I was blown away by the multi-kilowatt CO2 lasers (and a few 300-700 watt YAGs) they had there, and, being the type of person I am (an artist who tends to imagine stuff that most people would never think of) I decided that each laser there would have to have a symbol and a name.

Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but bear with me - I love to draw, sketch, paint both realistic representations of things + cartoons. I imagined what sort of thing would symbolize each laser, and I drew these metal-skinned beam-spitting beasts that would represent each laser.

And being that most of the lasers there (save for the YAGs) were made by a German company (and also I do have some German blood on my father's side), I declared they would need names in the German language.

So the first one I named was the 5kw laser that welded the metal parts I had to spend all day grading and sorting - I spent every day there working a few feet away from that laser. I called it the "Schrecken Licht" - which translates as "scary (or "terrifying" or even "terror" depending on the translator you use) "light" = Scary Light! Which is most appropriate for 5kw of CO2 power! I remember the time they were doing some alignment test on that laser and they torched a piece of plywood 15 feet away with the beam, and flames leapt over 2 feet high! I'll never forget that....all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up!

So, when on laser forums, I always use the name Schrecken Licht.

Here's a pic of the symbol for the Schrecken Licht laser (torching a victim who surely must have represented someone who got on my nerves when I worked at that place!). Sometimes I use this laser creature as an avatar as well, used to do so on LC.):

332.jpg

Here's a "group picture" of sorts, of all the CO2 laser symbols - the SL is the one front and center at the bottom of the group:

c98.jpg

A side note: when I worked there, a rep from the laser manufacturer came down to provide technical support for one of the lasers that needed repair. The guy saw some of my artwork, and he commissioned me to do a painting of two of the shop's lasers cutting thru a steel wall (or, rather the monsters that symbolized the lasers) - this is that painting (the top one is the "Zerstorer" or Destroyer, the other is the "Tuefel Licht" or "Devil/demon light":

db5.jpg

Here you see a generic little "laser critter" on the custom warning sign I made for my YAG (my other non-portable lasers all have one too):

a81.jpg

daguin

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Hmm. A Bad Caffeine Trip. I love coffee and I have a bad habit of consuming too much ;D

I came up with it probably 15 years ago when I was in middle school (an avid coffee drinker by that age...) after having so much espresso that I was actually dizzy, nauseous and terribly confused. Not a pleasant experience! But, that name came from that experience and I've been using it in forums ever since.

(I aim for the god state but frequently end up in Triple Shotgun Murder)
caffeinegraph.jpg

I've found a way to avoid that crash. I keep a package of these in my bag at all times

stacker_extreme_energy_mints.jpg

Peace,
dave

daguin

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Are those caffeine pills or something else? I always keep a bottle of Jet Alert on hand for just such an emergency :)

25mg apiece. No sugar. No carbohydrates. No calories. I eat at least three at a time. [smiley=evil.gif]

daguin

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Not bad! The only ones I can easily find are 200 mg (which isn't always a bad thing...)

These are "mints". They come in 4 flavors. Since they melt in your mouth, they get into your system fast! You can get away with taking them easier and you control the dosage to what you need/want.

Peace,
dave