Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

what builds do you do most?

what do you build most?

• reds

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • greens

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • purples /blues

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • none

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Well i used to build a bunch of reds but now I never do and I only build violet lasers with an occasional green here and there.

Lately my main interest has been with fixing up green lasers, although I used to make a bunch of reds.

Edit: Never mind...what I said was miscontrued and I apologize if I offended anybody

Last edited:
Not to be rude, but why on Earth do we call it 'building a green laser'? It's not like we're aligning crystals or optics. I think that only people such as mausweisel can say that they've 'built' a green laser. What we do is basic assembly. I'm not trying to be rude here, I can't stress this enough, but this has bugged me for some time now.

I mostly refer to myself as an "assembler" even with reds and violets.

Peace,
dave

my 2 cents....

When someone dreams up a plan, even if it's something as "trivial" as stuffing a module into an unusual new host, they have now built something, we call it a laser.

hooking a radio shack battery holder up to a module is NOT building anything.

If I took the time to machine a collar to hold my module, and took the time to go buy a mag light just to gut it, fabricate spacers, and install my module, then I have assembled, modified AND built something, and we call that a laser.

If you purchase a blue print and a truckload of lumber, then swing a hammer for a week, did you not just build a house?

If that bug's you then maby it's time you thought of it differently :thinking:
otherwise you must say none of the lasers people here make are built by them as all the laser diodes were built in a factory some where else.

And I mostly ASSEMBLE violet and red lasers but sometimes I ASSEMBLE a green one or two and almost never a yellow or orange one and soon a blue one ;)

Pyro...

Not to be rude, but why on Earth do we call it 'building a green laser'? It's not like we're aligning crystals or optics. I think that only people such as mausweisel can say that they've 'built' a green laser. What we do is basic assembly. I'm not trying to be rude here, I can't stress this enough, but this has bugged me for some time now.

Last edited:
When you put it that way nobody (or very few) here actually builds lasers. "Building" a violet laser here is actually just adding current to a laser diode. I'm pretty sure very few, if any, people here have ever built a laser diode. Just feeding current to a pre-built laser diode isn't really building a laser, but for this basic of a forum it doesn't really matter.

I usually find three to four host to fill with what ever diode. I have long ago determined that my modules would be swappable which means I can literally swap a Dx green into one of my 405nm or 650mn builds in a minute... this is a factor of fun for me at least.

I also dabble in some other builds that are of course host dependent, but basically the longer I'm in this hobby my builds seem to be getting better.

I thank the forum leaders for their help in the form of information and careful posting :)

I build IR lasers as well, but most of my builds lately have been blurays and a few green modules into hosts.

I got a GGW sled in the mail today and "assembled" a red and violet laser.

Back