Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What antivirus do you use?

What A/V software do you use?

• Avira

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Avast

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • AVG

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • ESET NOD32

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • F-Prot/F-Secure

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Norton

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Trend Micro

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No antivirus

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters
I like IE 7 fine...I like it better than FireFox, no matter how much better or worse it actually is. I get about one popup make it through every 2 weeks, and no viruses. Ever.

-Mark

i have AVG but when i make scan and find viruses it can't delete/helath/infect them and i need to find where the virus is located to and delete it from the folder where is in.
any suggestion how to do it easier?

sbdwag

I user AVG Internet Security. Warns me of malacious websites before It lets me connect. Worth 50US per year.

regards
sbdwag

D

Deleted member 8382

bests fror me are kaserpsky and nod32, however I don't use them since they intrudced the blacklist system to avoid me from using cracked keys...

Now I just use the resident protection from Spybot.

yours,
Albert

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
personally i like kaspersky internet security most, F-secure 2nd. KIS 2010 has speed improvements over KIS2009. i like it b/c it doesn't just protect against malware, but can detect application security vulnerabilities that are teh root cause of most malware infections... for example Adobe vulnerabilities...

anything less than 9.1.3 in adobe and u can get infected with malware by simply viewing a web page... also flash vulnerabilities... i would guess 90% of the internet right now isn't using latest version of adobe lol but that is side point.. i am going to make a poll about this lol

but yeah i like KIS2009 / 2010 most, f-secure 2nd (not very well known but good... also since its less known, malware doesn't target it as much.. e/g try to shut the engine down).

No A/V here, until I had an odd issue with IE8 playing random music whenever run. Turned out a BHO was creating an invisible IE process in the background and clicking on the creator's adverts (on a page containing videos). I don't have a clue how it got on to my machine - probably a less-than-fully legit registered program. But that's why I never use IE8 unless it's absolutely vital (page compatibility, etc)

To get rid of it, I ran Prevx, which told me the location, and then manually removed it. My servers don't run any AV either, it's not worth the performance hit especially with 1tb of files to scan. It's behind a firewall, and any browsing I do on them is in IE hardened mode.

Jaseth

I used to run Norton like a noob. Got a virus three times and my pc was packed with spyware.
Then common sense kicked in and I haven't really needed anything since.. but I still run AVG free, and I am thinking of upgrading to Kaspersky since I will be downloading a hell of a lot of conversion software and doing a lot of networking soon. Universities just love incompatible files :rolleyes:

Seb

Firefox. :p I think I may have had one virus in the last five years though.

I haven't run any antivirus in years and years now on my home computer, but at work we use a number of different ones to disinfect customer's computers. For resident protection I like nod32 or f-prot because of how light they are.. For spyware etc, I like spybot search and destroy for its ability to correct a number of windows settings that get changed by spyware, I like malwarebytes and superantispyware for being able to get the harder ones out, and I like combofix, smitfraudfix, gmer, and rootkit revealer to get out the hardest ones.

The worst antivirus programs I've used have been norton (huge, bloated, takes over everything, doesn't catch or disinfect anything, is worse than actually having a virus in my opinion), bitdefender (kept popping up false positives, took three hours to scan when other products manage it in half an hour) and worst of all has been the antivirus products included in my local ISP's setup CD's.. It's based off f-secure, so it is actually pretty good at preventing and removing viruses, but everything other than the scanning engine was coded by monkeys, is incredibly bloated and slows everything down

ive got eset on my server and avg internet security 8.5 on my laptop. will probably upgrade to kaspersky soon. heard nothing but good things about it..

Microsoft security essentials is my newest favorite for protection. Anything else doesn't beat the lightweight and fast scanning of msse, the detection rate has been awesome as well.

Crax

Don't buy expensive and classy ones like Kaspersky, they use way too many resources and makes you lag during virus scans. I like ZenOK Free Antivirus works better I got not pay for it and maintain my computer safed.

Ash

I have tried Norton, eSet, trend micro, Mcafee, and others.
AVG is the winner hands down. It finds viruses that Norton and Mcafee don't find, and it is not a resource hog like them.
AVG (free) is the only anti-virus I use (or recommend) now. :beer: