Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

West coast 'laserists' meet. Lots of pictures!!!

PRETTY LASERS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
those will end my barely hanging by a thread marrige

LOL Thanks...Genius is a bit lofty, But i'll take experienced. The Cobra YAG is my best creation to date. If I took a bit of time with it. It will produce 60watts @ 532nm, Q-switched at 20 KHZ, Air Cooled (water recirculator) 220 vac single phase at 40 amps.

It will poke a hole in a razor blade in 1 second, blow a hole in a nickel in 2 seconds and ionize the air. It was 2 years in development, completely remote operational (you can call the laser from your phone or laptop, turn it on, monitor all logistics, control all operations) and it will fit in your trunk sets up in less than 20 minutes and will shoot highly visible light for 50 miles or more.

I dont know if I mentioned this...but she is for sale. Serious buyers only.

Hard feelings being resumed!

My god that is amazing, I love what you did with that laser! What size KTP you using for that monster? Did you get it out of a laserscope (will it even handle such power(!?!?!?!)), or did you buy straight from raicol or a similair manu.? Don't even want to know what those optics set you back.

Gooeygus, those are some great pics! Nice to see your beast of an argon running@7.6W ... must have made you ecstatic!

One thing that crossed my mind looking at the picture of your trunk though...imagine, if you had been pulled over...the cops face would have been a kodak moment. :thinking: Good chance you would have spent a night in a cell explaining that you are just a laser addict and not a terrorist. :whistle:

Holy cow, Pat you are one crazy son of a gun!

That thing ionizes the air?!! I thought that only radiation < 300nm or so was ionizing... does that mean it could cause DNA mutation if you were exposed to it?

Incredible pics, in case I've not already made it clear I was blown out of the water by that 45W green. Pat I am surprised you can read this =D

Last edited:
^It would cause a serious burn if you were directly exposed to it, that much is for sure.. I don't know for sure, but based on the incredible level of craftsmanship, I'd say that Pat designed/built it while working for a company that produces lasers. I could be wrong, but I suspect that's the case.

That IS a laserscope, just converted to a smaller, more stable package.

My god that is amazing, I love what you did with that laser! What size KTP you using for that monster? Did you get it out of a laserscope (will it even handle such power(!?!?!?!)), or did you buy straight from raicol or a similair manu.? Don't even want to know what those optics set you back.

Gooeygus, those are some great pics! Nice to see your beast of an argon running@7.6W ... must have made you ecstatic!

One thing that crossed my mind looking at the picture of your trunk though...imagine, if you had been pulled over...the cops face would have been a kodak moment. :thinking: Good chance you would have spent a night in a cell explaining that you are just a laser addict and not a terrorist. :whistle:

^It would cause a serious burn if you were directly exposed to it, that much is for sure.. I don't know for sure, but based on the incredible level of craftsmanship, I'd say that Pat designed/built it while working for a company that produces lasers. I could be wrong, but I suspect that's the case.

I think he actually built it after he left a laser company. He used to work for spectra physics.

As far as whether is a laserscope or not, not really. Yes the cavity is basically the same, but other than that it's a completely different machine. The electronics were designed and built from the ground up, as far as I know. The case for it is just amazing, and was also designed and built from the ground up, with lasershow use being the heaviest consideration in it's design

I guess when your burning wood with such a high power green , goggles or any eye protection arent needed ;)

Well if you look closely you can see he's got it at an angle such that he does not actually see the spot where the beam touches the wood. Also in one of the pics you can see the green reflecting off the ceiling onto his shirt. If anyone in that room were to look up I'm guessing they'd get instant flash-blindness.

IMO the real question is how on earth can that thing ionize the air, and what are the implications of this...

Last edited:
45W of green Light o_O...

I just cant imagine to be in a room with that monster of a Laser ...

... how much is this beast worth? I guess >15K

Regards
game-genie

Yes 45W is bright, but there's no way that spot, (which was about 20 feet above us) was going to give anyone flash blindness. Yeah it's bright and all, but at that point it's not much brighter than looking right at a 100W light bulb, since as soon as the light hits the beam dump it just diffuses everywhere, kinda like a big green light bulb. Yeah if it's in a beam it's really bright and dangerous; but when we're talking about diffused light it's still only 45W of light.....

For clarification

The "optical plate" is the optical relay by Kuizengua (laserscope). The plate was not manufactured by Laserscope, however exclusively licensed to a third party (of which I was also one). Chiller is by Affinity, Lamp Driver by converter power, mechanical design, projector design, interface, control, monitor, automation by me. KTP is a 3x3x5. Will ionize the air when focused with a lens (20 khz pulsed). AAS in Laser Electro Optics in 77, Started at SP in 78, traveled the US installing State of the Art dye laser systems. Left in 84 started my company and traveled the world doing laser shows.

Had only one job since college. Everything ever done in my career to date has been self learned / taught or a function of operating my own businesses. Pioneered use of KTP lasers in entertainment 1989. Co-developed Ultra Ray & Infinity Beam KTP lasers with Laserscope sold 40 systems worldwide. Serviced systems & installations. Developed COBRA in 95 by controlling parameters carefully 50 to 60 watts is no problem. Design is unmatched in industry to date, no longer manufactured due to the influx of cheap vagina-burners (outdated laserscope medical units).

Careful instructions were given. Everyone in the room was instructed not to look up, before I powered it up, if you looked up it was your risk. I hate it when people dont listen (as with recent FDA crap, Frothy can relate). Beam dump was the black steel structure supporting the building 15 to 20 feet overhead. All beam projections in room were done CW (not q-sw) at less than 2 watts. I would only recommend the operation of these types of machines in huge arenas or outdoors legally. I have to run these things indoors because I repair and tune them.

I have never owned a pair of goggles, I used them at my job in my lab due to the hundreds of spurious beam reflections operating with "covers off" scenarios, but the last thing I want to do is stick my hand in 40 watts of green because I cant see it. I carefully plan beam propagation and take measures to avoid them. I dont recommend that method for others.

if there is ANY doubt of your capabilities...use goggles. It was a great meeting and everyone in attendance was a master in their areas of expertise. We had a lot of hands on "working" on lasers. Not so much "playing" with them. Very educational experience.