Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Way Overspec 5mW Green

About Tuesday I ordered an overspec 5mW green pointer from Swiminsurfer256 and it arrived today (friday). :)

DSCN1957.jpg

Came Packaged in a bubble envelope.
DSCN1959.jpg

Beam shots in a light room. You can almost make out the beam in a light room!
DSCN1961.jpg

Same as above. Significantly brighter with AAA lithium's.
DSCN1964-1.jpg

The laser can cut through electrical tape and plastic bags.
DSCN1963.jpg

SwimSurf PMed me the output and I put the data into excel and the laser peaks at 37mW!

What a steal at only $12.63 shipped!:D

Can't wait until SwimSurf sells higher powered lasers LPM'd and legit QC checked, here in the US

Last edited:

Morgan

Hi XCreedX,

Them's good figures for just over $12! Is the laser known to have an IR filter or not? I mean it could have 5mW output 532nm but 31mW IR, couldn't it?

M
:)

Also, be careful when burning tape like that.
Sticky residue from the smoke can fog up the lens.
If you are going to burn anything, do it a good distance away from the lens and try not to let smoke into the aperture.

I didn't see an IR filter so the laser would have some IR but I am unsure how much.

However the beam is easily visible at night so it's definitely over 5mW of 532nm.

@RA_Pierce Yeah, I'm aware that it can damage it, I have only two hands, one for the camera and one for the momentary button switch.

Looks like it has a bit of a slow startup- 45 seconds to peak and a full minute to stabilize. Nice output for the price, though.

Is the sticker upside-down? It looks like the arrow is pointing towards the tail.

Yeah its a slow start up and the arrow is facing the right way, the TM icon of the company is an arrow shape in the bottom left hand corner.

It caught my eye as well.

Looks like it has a bit of a slow startup- 45 seconds to peak and a full minute to stabilize. Nice output for the price, though.

Is the sticker upside-down? It looks like the arrow is pointing towards the tail.

Note: I tested it without warming it up at all. The diode was still cold from the regular temperature of the morning air and I didn't warm it up in my hand or anything.

34mW isn't too far away from 37mW anyways :p

Thanks for the review!

+1

Hi XCreedX,

Them's good figures for just over $12! Is the laser known to have an IR filter or not? I mean it could have 5mW output 532nm but 31mW IR, couldn't it?

M
:)

Good point. I saw this and ran into the other room to make-shift-test the IR level of a different pointer. I don't have an IR filter unfortunately, so I'll have to ballpark it using my safety glasses to take out (most of) the green.

Laser read 41mW. Putting the glasses in the way it dipped to ~16/17mW (note that the glasses do not remove ALL of the green just most of it [OD ~4 or 5 I do believe]).
Next laser read 35mW. Glasses in the way dipped it to ~11/12mW.

So I suppose it's safe to say that the 5mW lasers I sell are >20mW of PURE green. Hope that's not too disappointing...

i purchased a 5mW overspec from swimminsurfer. my laser was tested by swimminsurfer before he shipped it, and it measured 35mW but it does not cut through tape or plastic bags, even through a magnifying glass.. also the beam is a little bit crooked but the laser dot is very bright and the beam is clearly visible in dark and lit rooms, only place you cant see it is in sunlight. all and all the laser is worth the 12.50 also i live in the us and i got it in 2 days,

i purchased a 5mW overspec from swimminsurfer. my laser was tested by swimminsurfer before he shipped it, and it measured 35mW but it does not cut through tape or plastic bags, even through a magnifying glass.. also the beam is a little bit crooked but the laser dot is very bright and the beam is clearly visible in dark and lit rooms, only place you cant see it is in sunlight. all and all the laser is worth the 12.50 also i live in the us and i got it in 2 days,

Magnifying glasses will remove a lot of the power when the beam goes through the glass. Just an fyi!