Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Vintage solid copper build #2 - the Rayovac

Hello!

Welcome to my review of a second vintage build I've put together, using a solid copper host from the 1930's made by the Rayovac company, and a copper heatsink made by Jeff K (aka Flaminpyro). This review follows my first vintage build review, of a host made by the Bond company, which can be seen here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-vintage-all-copper-bond-build-1-pic-heavy-86239.html

THE HOST:

The original host is shown here, as I received it. The color on these old hosts is sometimes kinda cool (and almost worth keeping), but the grease, paint, and grime that is also present kind of takes away from it all, and justifies a good cleaning.

PfqDs2D.jpg

Identical to the Bond host in my previous review, I clean and restore these copper hosts using a three-step process, using the following products:

9TRs9H1.jpg

Here is what the host body looked like after stripping and rust-remover treatment, prior to hand-polishing.

66MNtLz.jpg

And following a hand-polishing with the Mothers Mag Polish, it looked like this. (Much better!) :)

K8qBXv5.jpg

Gotta love the 'Solid Copper' emblem. :)

YMnVvX3.jpg

One more pic.

JIrQvKe.jpg

Like the Bond host, I called upon Jeff 'Flaminpyro' K to fabricate a heatsink for this build as well, for which he provided the following pics. Here's the raw sink on the lathe, after the center hole was drilled.

oaO1xEj.jpg

After finishing the face, it looked like this.

vHXQu6N.jpg

The sink was a little bigger than the Bond sink (on the right), but both had the same basic design, with a pocket milled out on the back for the driver.

b3wTaet.jpg

One thing about this host was that it had a bezel ring, which normally held the glass lens in the host. However it was pretty beat up, and in pretty bad shape compared to the rest of the host, so much so that it just didn't look right. Fortunately the host still looks good without it, however this caused a problem in that there would be nothing to hold the sink in the host. Jeff is skilled enough however that he made the sink exactly the right size such that it could be held in snugly by friction alone (but can still be removed if needed). A small lip made it such that you could bottom-out the sink in the host, and it fit perfectly, and all you would see from the front was the sink face, which blended in perfectly with the host threads.

nMCxcN7.jpg

Cp4syuO.jpg

Another issue with the host, also like the Bond host, was that the bulb socket protruded into the back of the sink, which interfered with the diode. Unlike the Bond host however, I didn't have to use a used bulb base as the battery contact, as there was already a metal strip inside the battery compartment that served as the contact, which was riveted to the wall that holds the bulb socket. Thus I only had to grind down the bulb socket (for the negative terminal), and one of the rivets could be used as the positive terminal, as they are electrically connected to the battery contact. Here are the before and after pictures.

ghFDEXf.jpg

uLb72dq.jpg

The next step was to wire up the driver (after pressing the 9mm diode module into the sink.) This is a Lazeerer X-drive from DTR, set to 2.2A.

9M5ymzz.jpg

I also polished the sink face to a mirror finish, using the Enkay Polishing Kit shown in the Bond review.

HBSrmuP.jpg

And here's the finished product.

vJwcllf.jpg

After adding batteries (in the same 6x 14500 configuration as the Bond build), here's a shot, with light. :)

qodL8eX.jpg

It peaks at just about 2.8W on the LPM with a G2 lens, and levels off at a steady 2.6W. (With a basically continuous duty cycle, due to the excellent heat dissipation of the massive sink, and copper body.)

z54d1F9.jpg

And what review would be complete without at least one beamshot. :)

wt8BnKT.jpg

This was another fun build, and thanks again to Flaminpyro for the heatsink work.

(Also, thanks to rhd and zRaffleticket for their Ancient Light/Vintage light builds, which provided the inspiration for this build, as well as the Bond build.)

Thanks for reading!

-Andy

PS - This build will be for sale, but hasn't been posted to the Buy/Sell/Trade section yet, as I'm waiting on some copper focus rings from Jeff, which I'm having made (so it can truly be a 100% copper build). :) PM for details if interested.

Another fantastic looking vintage build! I love seeing the original emblems on the host, I think that just adds to the awesome factor. +1, hope to see more builds from you!

Wow you did a great job on that thing! Thank you for documenting the process so well & sharing all your pictures.

+:beer:

Tmack

Ever think of getting Jeff to do another bezel for you.

Anyways still amazing looking. Very nice work!!!

sinner

The restoration job is marvellous :gj: That's two amazing builds! It would look more completed with a custom bezel!

gismo

Another old-timer brought to life:). The all-copper polished design combined with the mighty blue beam symbolises another fine novelty:beer:.
The gallery explains the whole original story!

Some job, andrewb:worthy:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice job!! Another oldtimer resurrected from the scrap heap.
Someone is going to get a super deal on this!

I'll get them copper focus adapters in the mail tomorrow :D

I been backed up with aluminum work on the lathe :whistle:

Oh no, the inductor on the X-Drive is chipped! :eek:

I am surprised Jeff couldn't spin you a new bezel ring. It still looks very good though. I'm sure it will look even better with the focus ring on there.