Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Vape battery bodies...

Skans

I'm new here and not experienced at building a HH laser. But, I've been doing quite a bit of reading. I was thinking of building one for a NUBM44 diode. Here's what I can't quite figure out. I was thinking of using a Vape/MOD battery body. But, are there any that can be threaded together to house two 26650 batteries? I would want it to easily work with a threaded heatsink from DTR.

The threaded 510 sink DTR carries would have a duty cycle of 30 sec at best. Your better off and cheaper to use a 1-2w diode in an extension type mod using 2 18650 batteries. You would also want it to have a side button.

Last edited:
Hi ,
I agree with VV only because those 510 sinks get hot fast you are limited to what diode you put in . Yes 2W;s tops in them, a NUBM44 in that 510 would be no match for the 510 sink .. Your 44 will suffer from thermal over heating and poof adios diode $$$ down the tube..

rich:)

Last edited:
A cheap alternative is a s4x from survival lasers, May want to look into these if you're wanting the nubm44

Edit: there's a thread on how to do the s4x here

Last edited:
Hi,
Mag lite 2 D cell build Duty cycles are unbelievable, And you can mod it to take 2 26650's or the mammoth 32650 cells. with these mag hosts you can;t go wrong , i built many and not one was a disappointment. I won't go ant other way with a high power diode of that magnitude .. More power bigger heat sinking = more lazing time and ease of mind..
Rich:)

Skans

Thanks all, the replies were very helpful in steering me away from a potentially bad build.

DTR

Yea the NUBM44 is not a great match with the 22mm 510 housing for both the short duty cycle you would have to keep and it would be very difficult to squeeze everything in and find a way to sink the driver to the wall of the unit. I have done one for a customer with a half length back half using a half moon sink from Ehgemus to heatsink the driver in the mod. It was a extremely tight fit and a real pain to build on top of that it heated up very quick and was only good for short runs with long cooling times between runs. Anyway as others had suggested there are a few larger hosts that would be more suited to a NUBM44 build. Also on the topic of mech mods put an important post in this thread this morning about them. See here.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/mech-mods-dtr-laser-can-97118-5.html#post1421598

Pman

I read it and commented there on it.
Although I only have a few 510 adapters that are complete I have a few others just in case I want to build with them and a bunch of mech mods along with electronic ones. I honestly thought they would catch on more than they did here. Part of the reason was that there wasn't many with latching switches and the back bottoms didn't always work that smoothly plus it was harder to find side button units. Still, they were/are a really interesting option and quite meaningful if you are already into vaping. I use some 0 nicotine flavors to make some quick smoke for some pics as I usually don't like to make a lot of smoke from my fog machines as it does take some time to disapate.