Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using a micro controller? LOOK HERE

Okay so i have spent alot of time now playing my ics and i got an email and found out something great.
To anyone using an arduino think again there is a new player on the market.
STMicroelectronics - Training and Webseminars
Take a look.
For 10$ you get a board assembled with chip and usb hook up.
That means easy pc interface and good amount of pins for only 10$
I am very excited to see this.
This could lower the cost and add features to any one whos using a micro controller.
People looking to add pc connectivity will finally be able to add it at no extra cost with these things able to replace their old unit for cheaper than spending over 30$ a unit.
I had an idea with these.
Think about this.
8mm tec 10$
tec heatsink 2$
4 digit lcd display 8$ (optional as you can just use pc)
STM8S Discovery Kit 5$
Other components 5$ (optional, buttons for user interface as pc could also be used for this)
thats a base product cost using a minimalist technique of 17$
Or with a nice enclose and and buttons for more stand alone use 30$.
This would allow the user to have a meter way under any ones ever priced before with more features such as data logging and even be able to remember your laser, and see how it preforms over time. this would let you see the degradation over time instead of having to just write it down in note pad it can all be done in software.
48 PINS
STMicroelectronics : Application & Tools
I cant wait to get my first batch.
Also i should be able to get these kit for under 5$
Ohh i am so excited.
Time to push the market and see what people can do.

I had an iDuino for a year until it stopped getting connected via USB, so it became useless. It's now called Boarduino I think. I'd be interested in a cheap microcontroller. Are you doing a GB on this or just getting the word out?

Wow, you can't even find a USB to TTL converter for that kind of price, let alone a complete USB interfaced MCU. I'll have to get some of these to tinker with.

i know they are amazing.
I mean think about the possibility's.
To get anything near like this its over 30$.
now you can get it for under 10 and 5$ if you have the right connections.
These will make anything that uses them so much cheaper.
The arduino is great i have 3 now bu at this price and 48 freaking pins thats a graphic lcd display a pc connectivity and then maybe another display . an analog pins with a resistor button array.
I cant even think of a use for every freaking pin.
Just when we thought things were getting cheap for some of us it looks like they got a ton cheaper.

letting everyone know that this is going to be fun.
And no not a group buy.
I just have a relative at ST micro hes a head of a rather large department.
So i can get it for free for my own personal use or i can just use his discount and get it for like 5$.
I would not fell right getting a ton of them free and selling them so i would rather just pay for them.
But think about these things they can make some great projects.
Alot of people dont do pc connect due to price of 30-45$ but now you can do it for less than 10$ there no reason not to.

We use a PC connected MicroChip ProMate II programmer that
cost us over $1000.00...
$10.00 for the Programmer and MCU is a gift...IMO..
I cant see a need for a GB...

Jerry

Things

Also, take a look at the "Propeller" microcontroller. It has 8 cores, so you can run 8 programs at once :)

You did hear them say C compiler included?
Probably a small freeware version, but that's good as the command set will be simpler.
The debugger seemed to be code correcting.
You'll need to learn some programming commands.
Wonder it it can read Visual Basic? I have all those compilers...
For the price it'd be fun to just play with.

wbp

Mouser has them in stock, part# 511-STM8S-DISCOVERY, $9.60 US
(digikey has an order minimum)

Last edited:
Mouser Link.

The compiler can build up to 32kB designs, which is larger than the memory on this device, so it's essentially free and full use. I remember in my embedded systems course we used some damn Freescale microcontroller with some Codewarrior compiler. The damn thing was crippled though, so it wouldn't compile certain code that was too large. Those boards were like $150 too, though they were bought by the school. $10 and you have the whole solution here.

If I were a first-timer I'd go with an Arduino, simply because it is very simplified and there is a ton of support software and libraries out there. You can also buy the bare Arduino-bootloaded chips for $5 and build the support hardware yourself if you need it to be cheaper. The ST is just as capable as the Arduino, however.

dnar

If I were a first-timer I'd go with an Arduino, simply because it is very simplified and there is a ton of support software and libraries out there. You can also buy the bare Arduino-bootloaded chips for $5 and build the support hardware yourself if you need it to be cheaper. The ST is just as capable as the Arduino, however.
Agreed. There is also a .Net version. I just picked up the Arduino Uno, nice (faster code loading) and the USB port can do many more things....

I have a collection of Megas, Della's, Twentyten's and a Uno. Fast and fun developing. I also have a stack of shields, Ethernet, breakouts, protoboards etc to suit.

wbp

We use a PC connected MicroChip ProMate II programmer that cost us over $1000.00...
Jerry

That's amazing - there are so many alternatives these days that don't need expensive programmers (well, hardware programmers anyway :) )

William

So what exactly could this deal be used for?
It's like explaining lasers to a 3 year old, they get all excited and want one but have no idea what it could be used for.
*I'm the 3 year old here*
Is it only for specific purposes or a "your imagination is the only limit" kind of thing?
*small words please, I'm only 3*