Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

USB Portable Powerful 12W Custom LPM

Re: USB Portable Powerful 12W Custom LPM "Persale Price"

For what it's worth, I am also having trouble believing the 12W rating. I just don't see a heatsink that size (or tec that size) dissipating enough heat @ 12W to orovide an accurate rating...and TEC lpm's are slow anyway, so I see a lot going against this particular LPM. But, the radiant can do 3.7W accurately, so at the very least this is a cheap <5W guaranteed meter. Just my thoughts.

Though I am still kind of skeptical of the 12W specs as well, but looking at the dimensions and construction of thermal heads of similar specs (10W) from places like Thorlabs, Ophir, and others it may be plausible. The surface could also just reflect a bit of the power away. Even if it only goes up to 4W it's probably still decent value.

Teej

I just want to clarify that an ad hominem argument is referring to claiming that the argument itself is invalid due to a flaw/characteristic of the one presenting it...not simply insulting the one making the argument, or, the argument itself.

IE:

Your argument about gravity is flawed because you are a philandering wife beater = ad hominem.

Your argument about gravity is flawed because you used the wrong variable, you nincompoop, ≠ ad hominem.

You are a blithering idiot for thinking that gravity involves the attraction of two masses ≠ ad hominem.

You are a blithering idiot, so, anything you say about gravity is wrong = ad hominem.

Your argument is retarded ≠ ad hominem.

You're retarded and therefore your argument is retarded = ad hominem.

You're an idiot ≠ ad hominem.

You're an idiot and therefore your argument is retarded = ad hominem.

You're an idiot and your argument is retarded ≠ ad hominem.

So, essentially, an ad hominem argument is not one where an insult is made, or a personal attack, etc...unless (UNLESS) that insult or attack is the basis for rejection of the argument itself, and not a result of the rejection of the argument, etc.

So those who keep using ad hominem to indicate someone insulted them, please stop, its not what it means.

:D

Last edited:

Thank you professor Teej. The use of logically fallacious discussion strategies in responding to criticism is a common practice on LPF and will probably remain so. Anyway I am all in favor of us having one more low priced LPM to choose from, especially if it can handle higher power than the low priced ones currently available. I very much look forward to the first reviews from those who first buy one of these.

Alan

Last edited:

Teej

Thank you professor Teej. The use of logically fallacious discussion strategies in responding to criticism is a common practice on LPF and will probably remain so. Anyway I am all in favor of us having one more low priced LPM to choose from, especially if it can handle higher power than the low priced ones currently available. I very much look forward to the first reviews from those who first buy one of these.

Alan

I know, I just think it would be more productive if people would use logic correctly. If even a small percentage would improve, it would help.

As for an LPM:

Me too.

:beer:

Last edited:

Podo

Edit** A lot of new techniques & materials being used to build this LPM, some of the parts and techniques may not even discovered and applied on LPM before here on LPF. I do understand that it's hard to convince someone to believe the 12W ratings capability without any solid proofs but that's what he has been working hard for so I can't really put the details here.

Note. The ophir lpm can only read up to 5W only. 3x7875 with G7+7a75 with G7 being tested there. G7 is alike 3-elements but better.

Last edited:

rhd

Lol, "Professor Teej", I like it. Not the worst nickname you could be given.

For the record:
"You're not smart enough to figure out the electronics of power scaling without a power feed, therefore your criticism of heat dissipation must be wrong" = ad hominem (and a couple other fallacies too)

Edit** A lot of new techniques & materials being used to build this LPM, some of the parts and techniques may not even discovered and applied on LPM before here on LPF. I do understand that it's hard to convince someone to believe the 12W ratings capability without any solid proofs but that's what he has been working hard for so I can't really put the details here.

Note. The ophir lpm can only read up to 5W only. 3x7875 with G7+7a75 with G7 being tested there. G7 is alike 3-elements but better.

This is exactly the type of post that pisses people off and detracts from credibility. The "undisclosed magic sauce argument" is what I call it. "Just trust us, even though this looks like a regular pencil it actually contains futuristic technology that allows us to break the normal pencil constraints... we can't explain it, because it's THAT secret... but just trust us, this pencil defies physics".

You've got to be transparent if you're claiming a feature that escapes the norm. That doesn't mean you need to give away the secret, but if you're claiming that your sensor can dissipate more heat than other similar sensors, you need to at least cite a basis. Ie "it's not aluminum, but rather another more effective material" etc. Frankly, this sensor looks like other TEC based sensors, so you don't do the designer's credibility any favors by claiming new undiscovered technology...that we'll just have to "trust" the designer is in there.

Also, it doesn't help to mistate something fairly straightforward like the power limitations of an Ophir. The most common Ophir sensor used on this forum is NOT limited to 5W.

Last edited:

Podo

First, the creator doesn't want the "recipe" go public, no matter how and he don't really care if this sells a lot or not. Second, I believe I had already "cite the basic" and pretty sure none of you ever catched my words or maybe ignored it completely:

The tec is only about 1.6mm thick under covered a graphite coated copper sheet with 15*15 active surface. A normal tec is about 3mm and if you still think this is a $50 lpm that people are doing a long time ago.

At least that explained all your skeptical theories. It can handle the heat because it is a total different tec being used with 50*50*40 heatsink together, I will try to not dig deep down on this as I am not the creator.

Most of the cost is from the sensor itself but not a an interface or programme for computer output as it can be done quite easily and cheap.

And if you still feeling struggle to believe what he accomplished here is not a replica from old tutorials that some members posted years ago, how about a question for you?
Can you explain how to achevie 1mV=10mW sensor without any power feeding?

If you bought it, tested it and think that's totally different from what I'm describing here, you can send it back anytime for a refund anyway.

In fact that my friend borrowed the Ophir power meters from sanwu to calibrated his lpm and sent it right after he done.

Even it's still here, I'm doubt if he will risk putting 11W of power into testing without concerning the possibility of damaging the sensor.

Finally what if this time he decided go for a bigger heatsink? Would that be the answer you hoping to see anyway?

This sales will be paused for a moment until he finished an "ideal" one then.

Podo

Last edited:

Teej

It is always possible that a simple disconnect between the technology and marketing exists.

For example, the marketing people want to tell potential buyers how wonderful the product is, but the technical people say "we can't say why yet".

If customers believe the marketing people with no proof, the company, obviously, is happy.

The problem rises when the public wants proof, and, marketing can't supply it...

...and the company gets angry at marketing for not getting people to buy.

If customers are skeptical, then, they can't be expected to buy at the same rate as if they weren't.

Even in this thread...the non-skeptical were eager to throw money, and, the skeptical were, well, skeptical about it, and did not offer to throw some cash at it.

There's no law that requires a product to be UNIVERSALLY accepted to market it.

If some are skeptical, and don't buy, and some are not, and do buy...sales to those who buy can occur even if the skeptics rail against the choice.

Jstr

The tec is only about 1.6mm thick under covered a graphite coated copper sheet with 15*15 active surface. A normal tec is about 3mm and if you still think this is a $50 lpm that people are doing a long time ago.

At least that explained all your skeptical theories. It can handle the heat because it is a total different tec being used with 50*50*40 heatsink together, I will try to not dig deep down on this as I am not the creator.

Most of the cost is from the sensor itself but not a an interface or programme for computer output as it can be done quite easily and cheap.

And if you still feeling struggle to believe what he accomplished here is not a replica from old tutorials that some members posted years ago, how about a question for you?

Can you explain how to achevie 1mV=10mW sensor without any power feeding?

For the record:
"You're not smart enough to figure out the electronics of power scaling without a power feed, therefore your criticism of heat dissipation must be wrong" = ad hominem (and a couple other fallacies too)

Sorry if I missed something, but where did he say that?

Unless I am mistaken, he was defending the LPM against your statement here:

It still seems to me that this is just the $50 DIY LPM that has been kicking around for a while on LPF (http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-thermal-lpm-under-50-a-51129.html).

Also, as it seems, there are quite a few of us here who would very much like to see another relatively cheap LPM come to the market, so maybe everyone should try keeping an open mind here? And Podo, would you mind posting a video of switching a power reading of 9-12 Watts from this LPM to your CNI 12 Watt one? It won't be a perfect transition because of response time, but I think it would be worth something.

Last edited:

rhd

I guess the proof will be in the pudding - and I see you've ordered one, so you can be the guinea pig ;)

Jstr

No one in the US, but I'd still be in for one if we got ten, or however many the minimum is.

I would like to buy on of these are they still available sending PM

Edit: is this no longer available?

Last edited:

APEX1

I would like to buy on of these are they still available sending PM

Edit: is this no longer available?

Yea I'd like to grab one as well to see how it works for the price!! Honestly if it really does what it says it can do, where else can you get a LPM for under 100$

Yea I'd like to grab one as well to see how it works for the price!! Honestly if it really does what it says it can do, where else can you get a LPM for under 100$

I agree I have Pmd podo with no response in months several times. But I just got an Ophir 20C-A head for a great price so I'm not to worried about it anumore