Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Uranium Glass Marbles?

just passing the time until my geiger counter gets here :p

Click Image to Enlarge

amihov

What else can we get to glow under the uv light with a bright green colour

ixfd64

Can anyone explain the huge difference in prices? For example, some sites sell marbles for several dollars each but it's possible to buy them on eBay for less than twenty cents each.

Also, do cracked marbles break more easily than regular marbles?

probably just markup, i got the 20 pack of crackled marbles and while i could've gotten the pack of 75 for the same price, i like the look of the crackled ones better

daguin

MarioMaster said:
probably just markup, i got the 20 pack of crackled marbles and while i could've gotten the pack of 75 for the same price, i like the look of the crackled ones better

Buy the cheaper ones. Boil them in water. Drain. Dump them into cool water. Presto, cracked marbles.

Peace,
dave

Tried it. Didn't work well for me.

The cracked set looks so much better than the crackjobs I tried...and several marbles cracked in half on me.

daguin

phoenix3200 said:
Tried it.  Didn't work well for me.

The cracked set looks so much better than the crackjobs I tried...and several marbles cracked in half on me.

I haven't tried these yet. They probably used dry heat then (we used to do it in a frying pan) and then used cold water. Some glass formulas are "tougher" than others. Yes. You loose some to breakage, but not nearly 1/2.

Peace,
dave

Thing looks like an e-meter :p

For those of us who aren't used to using a seismic detec..er..geiger counter...what does that mean?

basically it ranges from like 0.1-0.4mR/hr, probably averaging the 0.2mR/hr mark (but this is for the whole tray of marbles)

ill let the others tell you how good/bad this is :p

MarioMaster said:
basically it ranges from like 0.1-0.4mR/hr, probably averaging the 0.2mR/hr mark (but this is for the whole tray of marbles)

ill let the others tell you how good/bad this is  :p

Ok, MarioMaster, good example! :) So the whole tray of marbles you have shows an alpha radiation emission within 100 - 400 CPM (0.001 - 0.004 mSv/hr), which can thus be evaluated as a really negligible value. So no problem at all handling such glass marbles. Your test shows that they contain a consistent lower quantity of Uranium in comparison of the "vaseline" glass marbles put on sell in the LaserSurplusParts web site (600 - 800 CPM each, as per Specs.), which is negligible too, taking into account how much time one can handle them. ;D

Different point could be a necklace....

hey im trying to get 10 posts here cause im trying to build a laser and i need 10 to post my own question.. any of you know how to build a blu-ray laser? ill be posting my question soon as i have like 8 posts already.. come help me out! ;D

daguin said:
[quote author=phoenix3200 link=1225337223/80#85 date=1226540143]Tried it.  Didn't work well for me.

I haven't tried these yet.  They probably used dry heat then (we used to do it in a frying pan) and then used cold water.  Some glass formulas are "tougher" than others.  Yes.  You loose some to breakage, but not nearly 1/2.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Did you put quotation marks around "tougher" because of the awkwardness of the comparative form, or because of a seeming lack of technical meaning for the idea of toughness?  If it was because of the awkwardness of the comparative, then I completely understand.  But if you thought the quotations were necessary because of technical meanings, then you needn't worry.  

Toughness is a 100% technical term with its own technical definition in the world of materials science.  It is very specifically the amount of energy needed to break something, ie propagate a crack completely through it/fracture it.  This goes directly to how difficult it is to break something, and is not the same as strength, in technical terms.  I would say you used the technical definition of toughness in exactly the correct way.  Some marbles crack all the way through because they are less tough than others: less energy is required to break them all the way through into multiple pieces than is need for other marbles.  Toughness is a very precise and accurate way of stating what happens.

But if you thought tougher just sounded awkward, then that's fine too.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]