Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Updated! Firefly 589nm DL Review!

IsaacT

That first one was at:

Shutter speed: 30sec
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/6.4

It was around midnight, but in an alright lit neighborhood.

Last edited:

Can it burn stuff?.... seriously? It's a 589nm who cares if it lights your cigarette that shit got old after a month of buying my first laser.

Got mine today! I didn't realize how much smaller this host would be compared to my 556. I like the size. Works flawlessly, has a perfect beam and no splash I can see. I'm not sure how I feel about the "Lens cover" yet. It is unlike anything I've seen before. Haven't put it on the Ophir yet but it is very, very bright. Much brighter than my comparably powered 532. Absolutely one of the best purchases I've made on a laser. No regrets at all.

I just got mine today too like 10 minutes ago and WHEW do I LOVE IT. So rare. So beautiful golden like the sun with nice beam specs and no splash. Wish it was focusable

Last edited:
Here is a little beam shot of my new favorite laser.
9863-20140613-171027.jpg

Still no regrets. I think Isaac said somewhere it has become his most used handheld and I can easily see how this could happen. I've got some pretty darn cool lasers to play with but none of them get near the attention this one does. I think I've turned it on at least twice a day since it's arrived. It is very irresistible, there is just something about this color that has to been seen by your eyes every now and then.

And, there is absolutely zero splash and a perfect TEM00 beam. It's a tight beam too. I still haven't had the chance to fire up my Ophir. To be honest, I've lost the keys to some new aluminum cases I got from Harbor Freight of which one contains my LPM set up. I'm not willing to break the locks just yet. May need to see if anyone has an extra key they can send me.

Best $419 I've spent on a laser, hands down. With all the recent media hype on the idiots shining down aircraft I am seriously thinking of getting a couple more for a rainy day.

If anyone is thinking about buying one of these but just can't get off the fence, buy it and quit thinking about it. You won't have any regrets, unless your spending your budget for food or rent. Even then, you could probably set a hat on a street corner and show this laser off and get plenty of satisfied pedestrians to toss you their pocket change....

Thanks for pushing me off the fence Isaac.
JM

I agree! I finally got mine late yesterday, and I cannot stop clicking it on to view the sweet beam just a little more. It may have the tightest beam of all my laser. Absolutely no regrets.

I think it was just a year ago these things were costing more than double. Quite amazing you can get a 589 that runs a stable base 50mw and can peak around 80mw for under $500. When you consider the technology and the price of these just a few years back (not even sure a handheld has been available beyond 5 years ago) and the price of a lab 589 in this power range, it is really stunning these are within reach of the everyday laser hobbyist.

I emailed Adam back when I bought this thing about the best discount they could give on a GB and IIRC it was about 2% better than their Gold Club member rate (10% I think) which would bring it to around $378. That plus combined shipping and then one person reshipping to everyone else using USPS with a small flat rate and the price shipped to a persons doorstep should be below $390.

I am dead serious about buying 1-2 more of these, if there were anyone else here feeling the same and wanting one or two more we should consider posting a GB.

I don't want to hijack isaac's thread so if anyone suspects they might be interested in getting another one just PM me.

IsaacT

Xirrious, you know I am very pleased that you are enjoying your 589 Spartan. Lol I had to silence my phone at work when you got it. Kept getting text alerts lol!

I am still using my 589 just about everyday, although I have been putting more time and thought into my current project than anything else, as I am extremely excited for it and has been a long time coming for me. The particular project has been something I have considered since...well. Since 7th grade as I sat doodling in my home room class. Now it is 10 years later and I am finally getting close to realizing it. More to come soon.

Big thanks to everyone who ended up purchasing a 589nm Spartan Laser after viewing this review. Not only am I extremely happy that I have helped people take the plunge on ultimately one of the best deals I have ever seen so far on such an awesome wavelength, but as a result Adam from Dragon Lasers offered to send me a 2X Beam Expander. I was not expecting anything from them so I am ecstatic about it.

The Beam Expander arrived this week with adapters for Spartan and Aurora series lasers, and I have to say it is awesome! I'll be making a review of it soon, but it definitely improves the divergence of my Spartan laser.