Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Underwater Green lasers

I just got done watching a segment of "MONSTER QUEST" on the HISTORY CHANNEL. They were investigating reports of large "BULL" &"GREENLAND" sharks, far from the ocean.
They discovered bull sharks in Illinois, & in the St. Laurence River 20ft. from shore, where people swim off of boat docks.
They used an underwater GREEN LASER SYSTEM to measure the Greenland shark they caught on film.
Look's like it's not safe to go in the water again ( a la 'JAWS'), as both species are man-eaters:scared:

im sure i saw the same thing being used to measure what they thought was the giant squid, i dont remember if they found it though... :/

We'll probably start seeing laser measuring systems more & more for a variety of things

HIMNL9

Some automated measure systems for underwater are already available, mainly for ROV's , but the prices are extremely high, cause they use a laser pattern (usually 5 beams, or more, in precise sequences), and a software that elaborate the pattern and calculate the measures from the point positions.

If you want to do the same thing "on the eye" and much more cheap, just use a pair of pointers set to shoot the beams exactly parallel, at 50cm each one ..... when the beam hit the target in distance, you know that the two points are 50cm far, and from the proportions you can approximatively calculate the global dimensions (with A LOT less expense :D)

Also this system is on sale, but self-made is much more cheaper and funny :p

I remember the squid one... They were crushed by the pressure eventualy IIRC...

I when saw the special thought to myself that those units couldn't be more than
30mW... It is good to see them dabling though.

HIMNL9

The on-sale ones, usually, uses red diodes at 20 or more mW, like these ones, as example

http://www.rovdownunder.com/modules/AMS/index.php?storytopic=3 (the laser scaling tool)
http://www.seascape.nl/page/plmilssys.php

but usually have ranges of 5 / 10 meters, not too much ..... also cause the red part of the spectrum is the one that become more attenuated, in water.

I'm trying to build one of them for a friend, using 2 50mW modules from o-like, the green spots must be much more visible in the water, and increase the range :D

and no, with the containers that i am planning, no crushing, it have to work til 360 meters, the maximum depth that the rov can reach :p

Sounds VERY interesting, Can you keep me up-dated with any new developments, PLEASE ? Thanks,rob

HIMNL9

You mean about my assembly ? ..... no problems.

I just sent the draws to a factory that work with aluminium and anticorodal in professional field (they made parts and road transporters for sailing ships, so they can machine and sold it too), cause i don't have any machinery at home ..... when i get the parts machined, i post the pics and the draws, if you want (just hope they do the work exactly as i drawed, LOL)

Thanks man, sounds very interesting. I'm a Certified Diver (PADI) also, so it's even MORE interesting to me, Thanks.................rob

The on-sale ones, usually, uses red diodes at 20 or more mW, like these ones, as example

http://www.rovdownunder.com/modules/AMS/index.php?storytopic=3 (the laser scaling tool)
http://www.seascape.nl/page/plmilssys.php

but usually have ranges of 5 / 10 meters, not too much ..... also cause the red part of the spectrum is the one that become more attenuated, in water.

I'm trying to build one of them for a friend, using 2 50mW modules from o-like, the green spots must be much more visible in the water, and increase the range :D

and no, with the containers that i am planning, no crushing, it have to work til 360 meters, the maximum depth that the rov can reach :p
go for the 100mW big differance in brightness no differance in heat or space. Great project btw...:eek:

HIMNL9

A question about this o-like, if you permit.

I've seen reading here and there in the forum, that someone of you at least, already know this o-like seller.

I sent them (her ?) a question from ebay, about a module they have in offer there, 2.4W 808/810nm focusable, cause i need it for a friend that want to put it on a cnc table he built, for engraving/marking, and asked them if it can be focused for burn (single point) at short distance, 10/20cm, but not had any reply (maybe they are too much occupied counting the money they make selling lasers ? - Joking :D)

Anyway, there's a better way for get a reply from them ?

Go to her website. there are multiple ways there to reach her. Even through yahoo messenger. She is really friendly. and once you are a customer, the service is awesome.

HIMNL9

Thanks for the tips, i don't have any kind of messenger installed, except skype chat, anyway i sent a mail from the site, and if don't work i send a pm here (but i don't want to disturb too much just for some info)

:thanks: