Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Underdriven 9mm 445nm for Continuous Duty Cycle

I have searched the threads but seem to be missing what I am looking for. I have found the test results of many members on how far these diodes will go. I have seem many 60 second duty cycle 3W threads. I am looking for informaition on running one of the 9mm diodes through an average sized portable host at a lower level, say 1.5A, instead of 2.2A. As far as I can tell that would net me around 2,000mW. Would a 700mA drop in current be low enough for a smaller host, say C6, C8, Skyray sized, to vent the heat off enough to run continually? If anyone could point me in the direction of the proper threads I would be thankful, or if you had any input as to what levels a driver may need to be at in order to achieve said result in such an application. Maybe run it down around 1A?

My thoughts are if I can find a stable setup for one of the smaller hosts then it would run extra cool if settle it into one of the larger, hand crafted hosts offered by some of the members here.

Last edited:

I have searched the threads but seem to be missing what I am looking for. I have found the test results of many members on how far these diodes will go. I have seem many 60 second duty cycle 3W threads. I am looking for informaition on running one of the 9mm diodes through an average sized portable host at a lower level, say 1.5A, instead of 2.2A. As far as I can tell that would net me around 2,000mW. Would a 700mA drop in current be low enough for a smaller host, say C6, C8, Skyray sized, to vent the heat off enough to run continually? If anyone could point me in the direction of the proper threads I would be thankful, or if you had any input as to what levels a driver may need to be at in order to achieve said result in such an application.

My thoughts are if I can find a stable setup for one of the smaller hosts then it would run extra cool if settle it into one of the larger, hand crafted hosts offered by some of the members here.

blord may be a good start looking /PM,ing

Thank you. PM sent. Im still searching for info and I will post if I find anything useful. Seems most of the members go for all out power in short bursts. I am appreciative of there efforts so everyone knows how far we can go and strive for more. It's just that sometimes you want something thats "Good Enough" for me. Just surprised at the lack on info on here for "High Powered yet still 100% stable". I build computers and custom LED Reef/Marine Lighting, and at all times is 100% stable my first priority. Over heading a CPU or an LED is an Epic fail. I tend to look at the laser diode in the same way. If from the second I cut it on, it begins creating more heat than can be delt with, thats not stable. It may have a small window of usefulness to test or play with but not stable. I can crank my personal PC to 4.7ghz, but a 100% load it gets up over 80c. Better with lower voltage @ 4.2ghz with temps below 70c. In real world use you cant tell the difference between 4.2ghz and 4.7ghz, only with testing equipment. I feel the same goes with lasers. In every day use, will it matter if I have a 1.5w-2w laser over a 3w laser? Not likely, for me personaly. Will I notice if I have to cut it off every 30-60 seconds? Absolutely.

Last edited:
I'm getting from multiple sources that it cant be done, or at least with out active cooling, ie a fan. Yet wicked lasers run at 1+w with no fan and no cycle time. I don't think they do it with smaller diodes overdriven......still thinking that running a 3w diode around 1w (800mA-1,000mA) may be the answer with a medium sized host....

IsaacT

A C6 or other small host might be able to have a continuous duty cycle...at 600mA. 1.5A is still a lot of current, and 2W lasers still produce a lot of heat. You would really need less than 700mA I think, and even then you may have issues with the small host.

Thank you. I did see that. I have looked at nearly every build on this forum as far back as 2009. I think that wannaburnstuff is correct. Medium sized host, good heatsink, less then 800mA with the 9mm diode, should net around 1w with continuous cycle times. Need to do more reading. Thanks for the input. And thank you to the Vets that pm'ed me back.

Blord

For continuous on the laser need something like an active cooling like a blowing fan.
A labby is a better option than a handheld.

Even my big lasers need to have a cool down period.

lets see some pics after the build?

Will do. I started ordering parts for a 3w build, but the misses got wind if it and is riding me about it "your going to zap your arm off" kind of stuff. So I may put that together in secret and post results. As for the low power build I have only ordered the diode from DTR and a lense mod from jayrob. Still debating on the driver and host. Was thinking about sinners weapon, but still looking at drivers. Any suggestions. Highest efficiency @ 800mA?

Will do. I started ordering parts for a 3w build, but the misses got wind if it and is riding me about it "your going to zap your arm off" kind of stuff. So I may put that together in secret and post results. As for the low power build I have only ordered the diode from DTR and a lense mod from jayrob. Still debating on the driver and host. Was thinking about sinners weapon, but still looking at drivers. Any suggestions. Highest efficiency @ 800mA?

im still struggling my way through with drivers so not the best person to make a suggestion . Ive been buying most of mine from Cajun.

I have ordered a bunch of stuff, custom test/dummy load, fresh IR thermometer, a couple new tools, making a custom test heatsink, 2 of the 9mm 445nm diodes, 5 of the 650nm diodes to test the test gear with, 2 different test hosts, 3 different drivers, a 3 element, g-1, and g-2 type lenses, plan on doing some testing, 2 or 3 builds. The plan at this point is to A. hopefuly answer some questions. B. Use this information to plan my final build. C, Sell off the couple 3w 455nm that I will end up with for nearly cost of parts. Use said money to "Hopefuly" build a Mid-sized, continuous cycle, 1w 455nm laser that will be my pride and joy. All this under the watchful eye of the ball and chain.....

benmwv

I had a 700ma c6 back in the a140 days and it still got hot after like 3 minutes. I think you woild have to run your 9mm diode below lasing threshold to have an infinite duty cycle in a c6.

For continuous duty cycle you will need a fan even with a big host I think. Maybe talk to jayrob about adding a small fan to his d cell maglite kit.

I had a 700ma c6 back in the a140 days and it still got hot after like 3 minutes. I think you woild have to run your 9mm diode below lasing threshold to have an infinite duty cycle in a c6.

For continuous duty cycle you will need a fan even with a big host I think. Maybe talk to jayrob about adding a small fan to his d cell maglite kit.

Another member PM'd me something along the same lines; he said "You won't want to drive a 9mm under 1.4A as the output profile is not all lit up till then which can make the beam look over elongated".

LaZeRz

Not really. When running my 445 at around 100mW, it barely looks any different. It's just less bright.

Not really. When running my 445 at around 100mW, it barely looks any different. It's just less bright.

Was the beam divergence exaggerated or elongated due to the diode being underpowered? For 100mW you were pushing around 210mA to the diode correct? Any noticeable heat at all? What did you have it set in?