Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultimate DIY Projector Reference

Things

Seeing as I have just moved, and don't have any of my hobby stuff, I've been thinking of things to waste my time on. After looking through this forum, what we are really missing is an all in one, up to date solid guide on everything laser projectors. So, here's what I've done so far. As you can see from the blank topics at the bottom, there is a LOT more to go.

Thought I'd upload what I've done so far, and see if people can think of anything else that should be included/changed etc. Hopefully we should be able to eliminate many of the same questions asked over and over :)

I'm also making all my own graphics to avoid copyright issues, so it is going to take a fair while to finish, but hopefully it'll be a great resource once it's done. Ignore the layout etc for now, just wanted to throw the text up.

DIY Laser Projector Reference

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

jayrob

Re: Ultimate DIY Projector Guide

Wow that looks really great so far!

Great idea! Looks like a lot of good information already...

Lots of work... :gj:

This is tops, we have needed this for a long time, Thanks for making this cool site :gj: +3 if it would let me :beer:

LaZeRz

Awesome!

Found a typo :)

"Where can I get them and how much? This depends on your decision above. eBay can be a rgeat"

Things

Yes, there will be many typo's until I put the whole thing through a spellcheck. I tend to just blabber on so I don't forget what I'm talking about then go back and fix it later :)

Perhaps most of that guide should be moved into a glossary of terms and figures. A guide is, well, a guide in that it takes you from one place to another in steps. When I visit that site it reads more like a conglomeration of concepts.

I realize writing a guide is tough and time consuming. What helps is an outline to follow. Perhaps start with three different sections: basic, advanced, expert. Basic can cover what makes a projector tick (laser bouncing off a controllable mirror to make pictures), and different type of laser projectors (steppers, galvos, spiros). Advanced can cover topics like dichros and how to get them to work, color mixing, DACs, correction amps, etc.--stuff to build things. Expert can cover stuff like analog circuits, projector layout, how to make the most of your beams and lasers, all those little "tricks" that polish off your system. There should be a with a "your first homemade projector" perhaps just something simple like a spirograph. Then it can move onto getting your galvos to show pictures with a soundcard DAC or something. Make it a guide people can follow, not just a reference to look up terms (that's useful too).

I'd also like to see such a guide for making your own homemade laser with diodes. I've found that the stickies in the tutorial section really don't explain the basics beyond the "here is a DDL circuit, hook it up and it lases." There are some great guides in there, but some are buried, and others assume people already know their stuff.

I'll try to contribute stuff too if I can. Maybe a Wiki would be more useful as a community effort.

Things

I know what you are saying, though this is sort of just getting ideas on paper, so to speak. The layout of everything is far, far from perfect.

Although telling people step by step how to build a projector is pretty much impossible considering the variables, maybe I'll rename it to something else, as more of a reference.

Also, if anyone can provide any extra info on the DAC's in the table (And ones that are missing too), that'd be great :)

LaZeRz

There are quite a few RGB drivers FS, I thing awlego sells one?

Things

awlego's driver is not suited for laser projector use, as it's not modulatable. It'd designed to produce it's on onboard patterns etc. I believe the only options for analog drivers at the moment are the Flexmod P3, or the die4drives. That should change in a few weeks though, got some plans on the road ;)

Things

Just added a new knife egde PBS diagram, will do a bit more work on it a bit later.

If there is any other topic you think should be covered, please let me know :)