Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

tweaking a 400mW green laser

lowell

I have recently bought a 400mW green laser. I was wondering if there is a relatively safe and reliable way to tweak it and get some more power out of it. I'd appreciate any details on how to do this. Thanks..

what is it -really it doesnt matter if you bought a 400 mw greenie and its putting out 300-400 you should be happy  and usually they are set for longevity and reliability -plus performance leave it alone

lowell

It's a Penetrator 400mW. Thanks for the psychiatric advice. I'll try to be happy with what I've got. So, can anyone ELSE help give me some ideas how to tweak this thing? P.S. anyone heard anything good or bad about BOBLASER.COM?

Yeah... no psychiatric advice here....

you should open it up gently with a blowtorch or hammer..
Then jam a screwdriver in the optics.... yeah... that should tweak it right up...

What do you think John... or should he leave it alone before he turns it into
a useless stick... Just asking the question... I know he hasn't got a clue..

Jerry

daguin

I've got an even better idea. Why don't you just send the laser to me. I'll tell you it's broke. Then you won't have to look at your broken laser later ;)

Peace,
dave

I just spent $400000 on a brand new Ferrari. I was wondering if there was a way to tweak it to go faster. ::)

Kage

God, you guys are funny sometimes! ;D ;D ;D

I need to put the arms back on my chair to keep from falling off! ::)

lowell

Look, it's my money. If I can afford to buy $1500 laser toys and want to play with them, why does the discussion have to be a moral one about wheather I SHOULD modify something. I paid for it, so why are you so insecure that you can't pass along some information that might help someone with a new hobby or project. What is your problem????

Kenom

The point everyone is makin is that if you spent enough money to purchase a 400mw laser, you're not going to want to take it apart and potentially damage it.  Those lasers are usually setup specifically to a specific output and by "tweaking it" you will MOST LIKELY ruin a perfectly good laser.  Have you got the money to replace or repair it is what it comes down to.

Although given the website (which I don't know if anyone here has even heard of) and the potential quality of the laser, I seriously doubt that this laser is coming anywhere near what they claim.

http://www.highlasers.com/400mW-Green-Lasers.html

Do you have a laser power meter that you can test this lasers output?

heard nothing but bad about boblaser.com

WRM

Just to make everyone aware, the company that he purchased the laser from does not use an IR filter even in these high output green lasers. Their rep claims that they can deliver 700mW in the laser body in the picture that was posted. They did indicate that they could customize the laser to include an IR filter for $2; but that it would knock down the laser's power 15 to 20%. I asked why they would not just do it for $2 and their concern was with delivering maximum power, albeit saturated with IR. I would be very interested to see this thing on a meter. Be careful of deadly invisible reflections! Bill

ok lowell if it takes a 18650 battery then you can put 2 cr123 a batteries in it it may double the output or it may completely fry your unit  you choose other than that there's probably no internal adjustments that would help, doubling the battery may give you a temp increase of out put power  or then again instant fry

Good luck with the laser and welcome aboard lpf

daguin

lowell said:
Look, it's my money. If I can afford to buy $1500 laser toys and want to play with them, why does the discussion have to be a moral one about wheather I SHOULD modify something. I paid for it, so why are you so insecure that you can't pass along some information that might help someone with a new hobby or project. What is your problem????

There's no problem. You see freedom works both ways. You have the right to do whatever you wish with your laser. Others have the right to tell you that they think you are crazy for doing so.

Just because I know something that you want to know does not obligate me to tell you.

Peace,
dave

yea thats what i was trying to do is save him some grief  :'(
but we got the old its my money if I want to waste 1,500 bucks I can
well i wouild never go against factory recomendations unless it was safe and any time you modify you sometimes take chances

yea i could put NOS on my mustang and double the hp would I never ;)
its my only car and i am not rich --although it sure would be fun leaving 200 ft posi traction black marks on the road lol :D

lowell

The fact is that the model I purchased is rather cheaply made. I was dissapointed. I got an awesome 52 " HDTV for the same price as this thing. I figured I would be buying higher quality lasers in the future as I learn more. So, in the mean time I figured that I'd make this one a project/learning experience. I wanted to learn more how they work, and maybe make the thing more powerful in the process, and oh well if I fry the thing.

Anyhow, rather than start on that endeavor, since it's still relatively new, I think I'm going to send it back for a refund. I found a place to sell me what seems to be a much higher quality 700mW green, for about the same price as this one.

I suggest you go to OPTOTRONICS and buy a rpl400 or better i have the 375 and its scarey bright