Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

tweaking a 400mW green laser

WRM

lowell said:
The fact is that the model I purchased is rather cheaply made. I was dissapointed. I got an awesome 52 " HDTV for the same price as this thing. I figured I would be buying higher quality lasers in the future as I learn more. So, in the mean time I figured that I'd make this one a project/learning experience. I wanted to learn more how they work, and maybe make the thing more powerful in the process, and oh well if I fry the thing.

Anyhow, rather than start on that endeavor, since it's still relatively new, I think I'm going to send it back for a refund. I found a place to sell me what seems to be a much higher quality 700mW green, for about the same price as this one.

Lowell, There are a few others that sell the unit that looks like the one on the Boblaser website (some for just under $2,000, I could not imagine how); and they all seem to be coming from the same source. The markup on this unit is incredible (like pure profit), perhaps due to it's shoddy, cheap construction. I was actually afraid of it in some senses because of the massive IR that it emits; and it just felt ready to malfunction in some way. The safety keys were like those on the cheap little aluminum boxes that come from China.  This was my first clue that it was substandard. It came in the hokiest little cardboard box that I ever saw.  This looked just like the unit that Boblasers is selling; but obviously I can't say that it is the same unit. Is this who is offering to sell you a 700mW green laser? (I've seen this exact body offered with claims of 400-700mW). That sounds questionable also. You won't find any other reviews of hand held 700mW lasers here yet. I would guess that this is because there are no vendors that can produce a safe, cost effective one that could put out 700mW. Anyway, when I saw that laser, I was not yet a forum member, so I did not review it. My friend used a device to show IR emission and stated that there could be almost as much IR as green making up the supposed 500mW. The beam was bright; but your eyes can't tell if it's a lot of IR or all green. All that being said, not opening up your expensive laser is sound advice (which is usually what you will get from the members of LPF). Good luck with whatever decision you make.     Bill

lowell

The 400mW I have was from HighLasers.com. Their construction leaves something to be desired. The 700mW I'm considering is from boblaser.com. I think I'm simply going to send the 400 back and not mess with it. At the price that boblaser. com has quoted me for the 700mW, I figure I might as well try it. It seems to be the same model that others sell for $2000 on up. I was quoted $1030. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to buy a laser meter on ebay so I can verify it's output. Any advice on laser meters? I found one that looks good for $199. That sound about right for a decent one?

Keep in mind that the sellers ratings are not always to be trusted. Those without an IR filter are already inflated and sellers like to overrate their lasers.

I would also recommend you go with a reputable dealer. Lasers from optotronics, etc almost always come above spec and with excellent build quality. A 300mW from a reputable laser company would very likely be of higher power than the "700mW' models.

Kenom

Now I'll chime in on the same thing.  Please don't take this as a "do as I say cause I said" thing.  I've been active at this forum for a very long time and have seen the HIGH powered laser pointers that everyone wants to hock.  You just will not see 700mw of TRUE green for under $4,000  What your instead seeing is 200mw of true green and 500mw of invisible, doesn't do you a damn thing cept blind you, IR light spewing from any of those supposed high power lasers.  If however you go with a reputable dealer like was suggested, you WILL get a high amount of green (up to 500mw or so) that isn't going to be spewing more IR than it is green.

please, I know it's your money but for gods sake if your so willing to throw away good money, you can send me the money and I'll turn on my headlights your way. :D

Hahah  Kidding.  Don't waste your money on junk.  Take the time to do some research here, ask some questions.  We are all very friendly (mostly), Helpful (Always), and knowledgable.  Pick our brains we don't mind. After all you trusted us enough to ask the question on how to modify the laser in the first place. Trust us enough to have a little experience in this as well.
Ken

lowell

I appreciate all the advice. Initially I was a little nausiated by the responses to my first inquiry regarding modification. Clearly, I am new to the world of lasers, and am very interested in them. The simple fact is I can't stop spending money on lasers! To me lasers are like motorcycles, fun, addictive, dangerous, and I alway want more power! So I turn to you guys for advice on the best way to do that.

Anyhow, any advice on laser meters? Where to get one, different models, prices, and so on?

First.... and finally....
Welcome to the forum... "lowell"

That got off to a rocky start... but as you will find out in time... there
are a lot of nice and very knowledgeable Members here that will help
in any possible way they can... ;)

Sorry guys... but since you asked about Laser Power Meters.... here
is a link to the LaserBee I and Deluxe LaserBee I....
This meter comes with Data Logging... well you can read the details...

http://www.bauer-electron.com/eby/eby1wlpm.htm

You can get a bit of a better deal if you don't want the data logging...
on eBay..

Jerry

If you want a GREAT LPM for a VERY reasonable price, that gives you fantastically accurate readings, buy a LASERBEE I, cost ? under $200.00 USD. If you want to get a little bit more sophisticated, buy the LASERBEE I with the DATA LOGGING FEATURE, cost ? under $300.00 USD. The DELUXE MODEL comes with all the critical parts, neatly enclosed in a custom made project box made just for the meters major parts, including the back-lit LCD read-out display. The sensor merely plugs into the side of the meter, & the data logging feature plugs into just about any computer, & after downloading the instructions, & the DATA LOGGING PROGRAM, you are then able to see your lasers out-put on the PC screen, & if you have a printer hooked up, you can actually print-out the results of the laser test. This LPM is a cinch to use, & Jerry, from Bauer Electronics, is a very knowledgeable individual, who is VERY helpful if you should have any questions regarding the usage of this LPM, after all, he designed it & his company builds them. This is my 2nd type of LPM & I rate this one, a 10 out of a possible 10.

lowell

Thanks for recomending the Laserbee. I bought one. It should be arriving around the same time as my new 700mW green laser! I will now be able to verify it's claimed output. It comes with a removable IR filter, but is only guaranteed to put out 700mW without the IR filter. They say about 15% less with the IR filter. So, still close to 600mW. Not bad...

In addition, the 400mW that was the source of so much controversy is in a well protected box, on it's way back to China. The on/off switch started to malfunction before I ever got a chance to screw it up myself. Now, that refund can pay for my new 700mW toy. Yipee

Benm

I hope the switch on that lasts longer ;)

As far as the IR filters go: If a laser of that power is well constructed, IR leakage should be pretty low due to its efficient crystal set - at least much lower than its green output power.

Any IR filter will introduce some loss to the wanted green output as well (though the amount of loss varies with filter quality). 15% loss sounds excessive though, a decent quality IR filter should not cost you more than a few percent of green, less with proper AR coatings on it.

lowell

Yeah, 15% in total power reduction. I would imagine that the loss of 532nm would be relatively small. It should put out 580-600mW of green, I HOPE. I'll let you know in a few days....

Benm

Well, if they include the IR in the 700 mW spec, its really pretty bad - even encourages them to make it as bad as it can be, since its easier to leak IR than to produce green at all.

I'm not very worried about lasers with no IR filter, but the power spec should only include 532 output, not anything else (likely only 808) that comes out too.

Partly its a problem of the meter: A thermal meter would show you true power, independent of wavelength. An optical sensor (photodiode) is much more sensitiv to IR than to e.g. green. If you calibrate it for green, than it would show you each extra mW of IR as like ten mW of green (i am not sure about the exact number, it depends on the diode). So if you have for example 100mW of green, leaking 10 mW of IR, you would measure 200mW with a photo sensor. The thermal would give you 110mW. But photosensors are faster and better for small powers.

be carefull that laser says 300-600 well my rpl 375 peaks at 565 and runs in the 400 mw range boblaser is over 1,000 bucks if i were you i would of bought an RPL around a 1,000 also instead i have owned two great units will buy another soon ,if yours isnt i/r filtered its very dangerous -I'm not trying to tell you what to do but i havent heared too many thing on bob lasers but a 700 mw green portable is almost unheard of but yes it may hit 600 then drop especially if its unfiltered

oh and please dont try to tweek that laserbee meter it works great as is J/K good meter I have one too

You know, Jack at optotronics and I was chatting about that supposed "700mw" penetrater laser.  He even told me that the highest potential for a portable unit is at 500, at press time.  I always wondered what this unit will actually put out.  Guess I'm going to find out...  And just so you know, Optotronics does have an upgrade program.  If you were to get bored with your current RPL unit, you can send the unit in and take it up a notch.  I just happened to take it a little too far, perhaps... :eek: