Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trustfire S.S. 515nm build

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
"TRUSTFIRE S.S."

ylsUp6h.jpg

Today I present a handsome little "Trustfire" stainless steel light that I came accross a while ago.
This light was just begging to be modded into a sweet petite green laser, seeing as it already had the right options; a green switch cover, and GITD green O-rings.

This is my second 515nm build, this one is using a diode/driver from DTR. My first 515nm build "The Double Take" (HERE), was built with a diode that I was lucky enough to get from Eitans G.B.

All that needed to be done was to modify the head/crown of the light a little bit, and make a custom matching extended heatsink.
I went with an extended heatsink since the diode/driver assy. was of the type where the driver is attached directly to the diode, thus requiring the extra length.
I've finished this build using two different style focus adapters. At first I went with a green Survival Lasers extended adapter, and later decided to make a matching polished aluminum adapter.
They both look good IMHO, but I think I'll stick with the aluminum one for this build.

Components used for this build:

• "Trustfire" Led Flashlight Host
  • 515nm Diode/Driver in 12mm Copper Module
  • Custom Heatsink
  • "AW" IMR 14500 Battery

Power output as checked with my LPM:

• 520nm 2 element Lens = 132mW (max)

Now for a few photos of this build; start to finish.

Before surgery.
u99jBfw.jpg

Removing the pill/led assembly.
hj0vqtl.jpg

An exploded view of the original components.
hwlAjl0.jpg

Polished aluminum heatsink and pill.
e4J2v30.jpg

Getting ready to install the completed Heatsink, diode module and battery board into the host.
I used a 9mm x 0.5mm tap to hold the module stationary while at the same time, using long tweezers to hold the other end (battery board).
Then while holding the entire assy. I screwed the host's head piece on until tight.
This prevented any possible twisting of wires during assembly.
kzecaUg.jpg

Completed H.S./diode assy. showing additional raised solder contact point.
fK4gwv1.jpg

Correct polarity direction marked with label tape.
MJidxS5.jpg

First test without lens; "It Lives"
ZCS2YJU.jpg

Completed laser with alternative Survival Lasers focus adapter along side of scale for size.
YnHQqFV.jpg

Output shot with polished aluminum focus adapter. All Trustfire logos and identification have been polished off for a cleaner look!
wXtHPIL.jpg

Indoor beamshot.
BNaNCB6.jpg

And finally, last but not least; some entertaining reading from the back of the Trustfire package!
qhtLQUM.jpg

Thats it for now!

Thanks for looking. :D

Last edited:

Razako

LMAO at #7. Very nice build btw.

Last edited:
Hi Bowtie .
Awesome build great choice of diode, nice modding Pal. Lower power greens are sweet after building the 1+W'sits a refreshing change you do great work buddy,
+Rep coming

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you very much guys, for all your kind comments and rep, it's much appreciated!

@RedCowboy, you're correct, it does feel good to hold; all the edges are polished and rounded off.
@Lifetime, agreed, these mid-powered builds are satisfying to make, and can generally be used without fear of setting everything on fire! :eek:
@Jander, I actually began this build with the intention of possibly selling it, but when I finished it, it had become a "keeper".

Last edited:

Pman

Beautiful Trustfire packaging! Oh, was it the laser you were focusing on? I just want to know one thing.....how the heck did you manage to put the battery negative down and side up? Pics please lol. The last 3 lines are hilarious! As you know, I needed the funny more than the build today;) When i saw that SL focus adpater all i could think of was how aweful it looked with the unit. Good real choice as it goes with the hosts character.
No word yet on my "fun" yet today from the dealer. Got to take a look at that other thing you mentioned hopefully for another laugh.
Owe you REP.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Beautiful Trustfire packaging! I just want to know one thing.....how the heck did you manage to put the battery negative down and side up? Pics please lol.

Pete,Pete,Pete ....if you can't figure that one out on your own, you probably shouldn't be handling high power lasers! :crackup:
BTW - Thanks for the kind words.

What a beautiful build Jeff !
Lovely to look at.
I love the little stand you use for it too.
Thanks for the pics.
I'll send you a +rep when the system allows me to.

RB

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey RB, thanks!
I really like those clamps also, probably the best that I've found; I've got a few of them in a couple of different sizes. Here is a link to one site for them, although, there are dozens of sellers for this style clamp.
Here is a good thread for some very nice tri-pods also; be sure to take a look at the "UltraPod" tri-pods, they are very stable for even the biggest laser.

I've got several clamps and tripods too. My favorite is an Ultrapod with a similar clamp that opens to about 3.75 to 4 inches.

Pman

Finally I can REP you for that set of instructions:D

Last edited: