Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tiny "Micro Labby" Showcase

I also thought it was factory built, it looks like you spent alot of time making it. Excellent work! +rep :yh:

"mains power"... how much/what type?

I'm actually using a switching/regulated 12V power supply. But of course 9-12 VDC in from any other supply will do fine for BR diodes as long as it can handle the current draw of the DDL. My supply is actually physically bigger than the actual laser. lol I just don't believe in batteries for a labby.

I also thought it was factory built, it looks like you spent a lot of time making it. Excellent work! +rep :yh:

Thanks! There's actually only a couple holes that need to be drilled, and that's it. It was put together in about an hour and a half. (I had to build a pcb mounted driver). It just depends on what you want as the switch however. I had never used a key-switch before, and thought it would look nice. I pulled it from a very old computer tower. The switch made the fit kinda tight, so I had to design the driver's component layout around the switch. I definitely recommend this enclosure. I have dubbed it, the "Micro Labby". I may be making a short tutorial on it soon, if enough people want to see one.

-Tyler

Last edited:
That's a mighty good looking build, very nice aesthetics, quite elegant.

I have a small defunct 110/12v converter that looks a bit like this, you just inspired me for my next build... :D
-Robert

I'm actually using a switching/regulated 12V power supply. But of course 9-12 VDC in from any other supply will do fine for BR diodes as long as it can handle the current draw of the DDL. My supply is actually physically bigger than the actual laser. lol I just don't believe in batteries for a labby.

Thanks! There's actually only a couple holes that need to be drilled, and that's it. It was put together in about an hour and a half. (I had to build a pcb mounted driver). It just depends on what you want as the switch however. I had never used a key-switch before, and thought it would look nice. I pulled it from a very old computer tower. The switch made the fit kinda tight, so I had to design the driver's component layout around the switch. I definitely recommend this enclosure. I have dubbed it, the "Micro Labby". I may be making a short tutorial on it soon, if enough people want to see one.

-Tyler

A short tutorial would be appreciated no doubt.!!! fyi I've seen car audio parts similar to these in pawn shops.-- under $10. would be a bargain(no shipping/waiting)- new for that on eekBay.w/ some waiting.--HZ

Another source of these and similar labby hosts may be a car stereo install shop- may be even free if its a DOA or damaged part. FYI--HZ---(500th post)

Meatball, I am sorry I just read this man, so much activity, so little time.

That is very impressive, and creative, well thought out and neatly assembled.

All the things everyone else has already said.

The craftsmanship of your work here is brilliant. with work like that, people will be asking you to assemble builds for them.

two%20thumbs%20up.jpeg

ZRTMWA

Nice build! Might I inquire as to where you bought the keyswitch? Thanks.

Digi key, parts express, most any electronic parts retailer has them ;)

You can get them with flat keys or barrel keys.