Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thoughts on my design

dude you keep posting and brag about your host that you trying to sell but you don't even have any actual photo or proofs.
just make a god damn nice review of what you trying to sell and stop those nonsense posts that you think someone will try to copy your project.
have you ever saw anyone here to selling stuff without photos or proofs for any stupid reasson? if someone does that first thing that comes to everyones mind is that is probably a scam

I won't share the nuclear tone of others, but definitely have to agree with what they are saying.

You speak about designs and super materials, but there's no proof that they exist or that you have them in posession, cuz you show no photo.

Don't be afraid of being copied, on this forum we have better things to do, and the few machinists remaining here won't copy an elaborste host just for fun. (Even if they wanted they probably couldn't, there's a limit with what you can do without industrial precission material).

My point is clear, you have a nice project in which I might be interested when it's finished (if that day arrives), but until you show real proof of that, whoever want a host of that size will most probably purchase a Sanwu Guardian, up to 2W running from a single 18350, and you will most probably keep being treated by a troll or scammer by this community.

A.

diachi

Encap, please let this thread proceed instead of trying to convince others of your viewpoints or positions of me. If you are right Encap, then in time that will be proved., but, you have given it far too little time and jumped to a conclusion.

So, the new design is similar to what I posted earlier, I would like to post a picture but I am quite proud of it and am afraid of it being copied, so I will wait until some units are being machined... but the new design is 10mm longer a total of 74mm in length. I don't think this will be a problem as this will allow the laser to be better balanced and handle heat better. I found the pure copper heat sink of 17mm dia by 22mm length to be just too heavy for this unit, and have added more aluminum in place of the copper. Copper obviously has a better conductivity, but, aluminum has a higher heat capacity (.5 instead of .2) and 1/3 the density. For heat transfer to air, which is what we are interested in, there is not much of a difference between copper and aluminum, surface area is the name of the game (newtons law of cooling). I have experimented extensively with a supper material that has a conductivity 4x that of copper... unfortunately there is no way to apply this material to a small laser design without sacrificing the waterproofing. This super material should work quite well for bigger builds with fins where it can be applied on like a tape.

So far I am trying to choose between two diodes, the osram 1.6w and the 2w M140. I certainly like the extra power of the M140 but the beam quality of the osram is absurd! With a culminating lens (not the cheap 3 glass layered ones) having a focal length of 11mm and an efficiency of 85% the beam travels much further than the M140, which is also much harder to find at wholesale.

What are everyone thoughts, would you be happy with the osram or even prefer it??

No one is going to steal your design, anyone that's capable of doing so would be able to design/build it on their own anyway.

What's this new super material you're talking about? Other than diamond, the only materials better at conducting heat than copper (that I'm aware of) are all research materials (e.g. graphene). Can you tell us more about that? Or are you worried someone is going to steal your secret super material? Maybe selling/licensing/patenting this secret super material would prove to be a better business than selling laser pointers to hobbyists. :thinking:

You're never going to sell anything unless you can provide pictures/builds/some form of proof. We've had people try this before. They post constantly about their unique new builds and how great they are but never actually have any evidence that said builds even exist.

TL;DR - Where's the proof?

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
These last few posts looking for proof in the form of pictures reminds me of this old pic that we used to see pop up all the time when the forum wanted to see photos. :D

As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words"!

qQGToAl.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Hello All,

I am an engineer and my goal is to make custom compact laser housings that can support strong diodes (1 watt for now)

I ask that no one steals my design, as I am hoping to produce it and sell it for an affordable price to forum members; and give several away in exchange for improvements/ reviews. I don't think this would happen, but please respect my intellectual property.
1) What engineering degree do hold and from
which institution.
IIRC...Jack of all trades is not a degree....

2) If that is your worry... you will never be
able to sell a single unit for fear of someone
copying it. Get a patent if you are that worried.

3) Since the opening of this thread back in June
I haven't seen a single pic or video of anything
concrete...:undecided:

4) If I see another double post on this thread...
things will start to look a little red...:whistle:
It is easy to add or modify your posts by using
the [EDIT] button at the bottom right of any of
your posts.:)

Jerry

Last edited:
My dear Padawans ;)

The supermaterial I speak of is similar to graphene... made by panasonic hint hint ;) Again, I know a lot of folks favor the 18650 host, but there are several models of those already made by great makers, but there is not a model this small of this power.

I don't believe other builders are asked or required to share their degree and university.... laserbee, but it is mechanical engineering.

The osram 1.6W diode will be used. I will post pics of the sample/first build in a few weeks.

Reactions: GSS

diachi

My dear Padawans ;)

The supermaterial I speak of is similar to graphene... made by panasonic hint hint ;) Again, I know a lot of folks favor the 18650 host, but there are several models of those already made by great makers, but there is not a model this small of this power.

I don't believe other builders are asked or required to share their degree and university.... laserbee, but it is mechanical engineering.

The osram 1.6W diode will be used. I will post pics of the sample/first build in a few weeks.

So your "super material" is a commercially available graphite sheet? Which apparently costs >$20 for a 90mmx90mm sheet. Is the additional cost and complexity worth the performance increase?

You were asked about your degree because you claimed to be an engineer, other builders likely would be too if they claimed to be engineers.

Last edited:
:crackup: you can't be serious. If you're so scared about someone stealing your design that you won't even post a picture, how are you going to sell it? Have them sign a non-disclosure agreement? :crackup:

Like Jerry said if you're so worried that someone is going to copy your amazing design then get a patent for it, that is what they're for.

"super material" can have many references. Are you talking about superconductors? I don't see why copper isn't good enough, especially just for a pointer? We've been using copper and aluminum for heatsinking even the 7W+ diodes without much issue.

Encap

This super material should work quite well for bigger builds with fins where it can be applied on like a tape.

So far I am trying to choose between two diodes, the osram 1.6w and the 2w M140. I certainly like the extra power of the M140 but the beam quality of the osram is absurd! With a culminating lens (not the cheap 3 glass layered ones) having a focal length of 11mm and an efficiency of 85% the beam travels much further than the M140, which is also much harder to find at wholesale.

What are everyone thoughts, would you be happy with the osram or even prefer it??

It will mean nothing on fins--you have no idea of what you are talking about --no knowledge or experience in laser anything ---just daydreams---you keep digging yourself in to a deeper hole.

Osram multimode 450B and M140 are both multimode diodes. Osram has the drawbacks of more die reflection/splash than the M140 with a single element lens and lower output power although slightly better divergence. The difference at a distance of 30 feet is only 1.822' vs 1.732'

Happy is a meaningless question to deflect from any real issue---happy relative to what in what that is real in the real world. You don't need to worry about happy in your "kings new clothes" design, that doesn't exist and nobody wants either way.

1) What engineering degree do hold and from
which institution.
IIRC...Jack of all trades is not a degree....
2) If that is your worry... you will never be
able to sell a single unit for fear of someone
copying it. Get a patent if you are that worried.
3) Since the opening of this thread back in June
I haven't seen a single pic or video of anything
concrete...:undecided:
4) If I see another double post on this thread...
things will start to look a little red...:whistle:
It is easy to add or modify your posts by using
the [EDIT] button at the bottom right of any of
your posts.:)

Jerry

Exactly.

So your "super material" is a commercially available graphite sheet? Which apparently costs >$20 for a 90mmx90mm sheet. Is the additional cost and complexity worth the performance increase?

You were asked about your degree because you claimed to be an engineer, other builders likely would be too if they claimed to be engineers.

Exactly.
10 microns to 100 microns, 1/100th of a mm to 1/10th of a mm, of the Panasonic "Pyrolytic Graphite Sheet" material is not going to mean squat in a hand held laser on fins or anywhere else. Is all daydream make believe nonsense from someone who has no experience or knowledge of laser anything.
see: https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/AYA0000/AYA0000C27.pdf

:crackup: you can't be serious. If you're so scared about someone stealing your design that you won't even post a picture, how are you going to sell it? Have them sign a non-disclosure agreement? :crackup:

Like Jerry said if you're so worried that someone is going to copy your amazing design then get a patent for it, that is what they're for.

"super material" can have many references. Are you talking about superconductors? I don't see why copper isn't good enough, especially just for a pointer? We've been using copper and aluminum for heat sinking even the 7W+ diodes without much issue.

Exactly, my guess is there no pictures because there are no pictures. Is all daydreamers daydreams. Seems to be a profound lack of knowledge, ability, and experience in anything laser---this and that the antics are those of a child made me question his age,
14 or 15 years old as mentioned in 2 posts prior?

Any normal person would simply build one of whatever it is a proudly post everything about it.
What makes this drama different is and the only thing clearly revealed by every post on every thread by the OP is looking, searching for easy marks/trusting soul/ pushovers trolling LPF for possible $s. That is all it is

As diachi and many others have pointed out " You're never going to sell anything unless you can provide pictures/builds/some form of proof. We've had people try this before. They post constantly about their unique new builds and how great they are but never actually have any evidence that said builds even exist. "

Anyone can copy his imaginary valuable design anytime they want to--really is no issue at all n the real world--seems to be just part of a bait an switch game by someone who doesn't not have the ability to comprehend how stupid what he is saying really is--nor the ability to make anything of any kind---and repeatedly.
1. First off even if it was patented --the absolute minimum cost to defend any patent is about $100,000, even if mediated.
2. The OP is having a shop in China make the host for him. As every school child even knows, China does not respect US patents or intellectual property anyway. More likely is one of the first thing any shop in China will do is sell or give the design to 15 other shops to copy because of he "hive " mentality and see if any of them can do cheaper as a subcontractor.
So much for being a "mechanical engineer" who can't do anything mechanical--not having the capability or ability to make anything and being too cheap to have someone in the USA who has the machine shop and ability to make 1 piece.

Seems to be just conceptual/daydream bait and switch without revealing any real world bait looking for/trolling for potential victims/$s on LPF - is a laughable joke.

Responding is all just feeding an attention whore, who can't take a hint, trolling for imagined sales $s. Many things are wrong at many levels and in many ways/directions with the OP's meaningless posts and imaginings which speak for themselves.

I could be wrong, but at this point and after all the comments of senior and veteran members alike, it appears this may be another case of what Ron White has pointed out many times to many crowds :crackup:

Last edited:
When I was a complete noob to lasers I was thinking of so many ideas about ways to cool a pointer, a couple of years after joining the forum I realised these laser diodes do just fine with conventional cooling, didn't need sophisticated methods of cooling, duh! I'm just sharing this so our Chinese friend understands that his ideas might seem uber cool and all when really unnecessary.

Encap

When I was a complete noob to lasers I was thinking of so many ideas about ways to cool a pointer, a couple of years after joining the forum I realised these laser diodes do just fine with conventional cooling, didn't need sophisticated methods of cooling, duh! I'm just sharing this so our Chinese friend understands that his ideas might seem uber cool and all when really unnecessary.

"so our Chinese friend understands that his ideas might seem uber cool and all when really unnecessary" ~ Alaskan

If the OP is Chinese, it might at least partially make the excessive meaningless paranoia about the "design" that nobody wants or would bother to copy more understandable.
The entire "small" concept is one only a few people will ever want which makes it mostly a non-starter even if it were real.
What people want is what is out there and in large quantity by many different makers. and offered by thousands of resellers.

Many members could easily do one as many are so far beyond OP in knowledge, experience, and ability. The OP having no track record in anything except maybe external design/look as per post # 1.

The Chinese always steal and copy each other's and the rest of the planets everything as a cultural thing, a "hive" mentality--yet that doesn't make too much sense as the OP is thinking to have a Chinese shop make or subcontract to any number of other Chinese machine shops whatever it is.
:thinking:

Last edited:
The OP is having a shop in China make the host for him. As every school child even knows, China does not respect US patents or intellectual property anyway. More likely is one of the first thing any shop in China will do is sell or give the design to 15 other shops to copy So much for not having the capability or ability to make anything.

Wow, worrying about your design being stolen but having it made in a Chinese shop. The irony!

hi ,
wish you luck indoor endeavorers we will be watching your progress.

Rich:)

My dear Padawans ;)

The reason I asked (as diachi pointed out) is
that you boldly stated you were an Engineer
but gave no specifics other than a Jack-of-all-
trades Engineer that made no sense to me.

If you had stated that you were an astronaut
I would have asked what missions you had been
on.

Jerry

Sorry, if i'm late.

The first post has pictures. To me it looks the lens will be not used or it will have a very short focal length. Then the beam will be huge.

As it is a battery operated device, and looks like a laser pointer - will have troubles selling or deal with lawyers when someone will burn their eyes --- no safety features.

A keychain type device switch on in the pocket accidentally, and then it will burn someone's pants and under the underwear.

All non-technical discussion should be scrapped and moderated. imho, it is not a troll, just a person lacking real life experience in many fields. A used term - a daydreamer - is more appropriate.