Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thorlabs Beam Block LB1

MadEye

Hi Guys,

I know there are many easy ways to build a beam dump yourself, and actually for the "low power lasers" we are using there is no real need for a beam dump, but I always wanted a professional one, and when I found the Thorlabs LB1 fpr 42,20€ (about 56$) I really could not resist cause its the cheapest professional one Ive seen and its rated for less then 10W, which is actually perfect for this Hobby Lasers we have.

So I made my order with Thorlabs, I had to pay with credit card and after a few hours I got an answer: Since Im a new private customer I had to fill out a form about some personal data and what I will need the parts for. Ok, not really necessary for a beam block, but I think I can live with that. I filled everything out, mailed in back, and the next day I got my order confirmation and a few hours later the UPS tracking ID, and just the next day I got my new Beam Block :).

It is made of a lot... maybe about 100? thin slices of metal which are made deep black on the 2 larger sides. It came with a Post which is simply mounted with a screw. Since a surface that was made for absorbing light is not that easy to photograph I made a small drawing to show you its shape.

scaled.php

scaled.php

The laser dots are still pretty good visible on the absorbing area (even on 1 or 5 mw lasers) but it really does a good job, I pointed my 1W Labby on it for a few minutes on it, and I never felt that little impressed by my laser... Even it was on 1W I could look on it without safety glasses (I do not recommend this, of course! :tsk:) without getting any of this "silhouettes" (This "dots" you can see after looking in the sun or a bulp, you know ;) ) in my eyes... I actually even rechecked its output, but playing with 1W felt more like playing with 1mW...

NOTE: My iPhone made the dots look brighter then they were in real... For the eye it was more blue and not this bright white one, as I told you I could look at it with my bare Eyes.

scaled.php

scaled.php

When I ordered this I was a little skeptical cause its completely open, and after shining my 1mw Laser on it I was even more sceptical, but after I tested it I really must say this little thing is a perfect target for high power diodes (since its for max. 10W you cant use your 60W CO2 of course) and DPSS lasers we hobbyist use.

Here you can see a comparison between the Beam Block (left) and a black, NOT GLOSSY piece of plastic (right).

scaled.php
scaled.php

I know I could have got the same result with a blackened stone, but with this one I can even do some long tests without worrying to destroy the paint or coating, so i think 42€ was a pretty good deal. And since its rectangular you can remove the Post to get a small portable Beam Block with a secure stand.

And before I forget... I already got some gummi bears with online orders, but I think Thorlabs really topped all... ;) That was quite a funny surprise.

scaled.php

scaled.php

So if you have any question, feel free to ask, I also can do some more tests, but now I dont really know what I could try out with this. Too bad I got no 10W green laser here :(.

-MadEye

Hahaha! How come they give you snacks with a laser block? That's soo random lol

Does anyone else want to order one of tgese JUST to get the food? Or is it JUST me? Maybe im crazy d:

I usually end up with the THORLABS granola bars. They're quite tasty.

Wytry

Quite interesting, but is it useful? How looks the dot compared to some black heatsink or lpm sensor?

MadEye

Total replies: 7
replies about food:6
replies about beam block: 1

As I showed in the main post compared to plastic, black -not glossy- plastic was much brighter. I could do a few new pics tomorrow where I compare it to black anodized aluminum and my Laserbee Sensor. Have I mentioned you get some food with it? :p
(I just ordered an Od4 Filter from Thorlabs, to take a closer look on this "green dot" from low powered laser through Eagle Pairs Issue) and they did it again... Looks like every Thorlabs Order get a Lunchbox...^^)

And actually, I dont want to disassemble it, because this thin "slices" are so nice aligned to each other, but I have a storng feeling this beam block is made of razor blades... :)

haha I also want one just for the snacks! Amazing what a little free food can do for your business these days, well done Thorlabs ;) :beer:

Last edited: