Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This is why lasers are banned in australia due to idiots

Seems to be a problem in basically every single major city with an airport. Especially any city with a large tourist turnover.

Unfortunately there is no shortage of idiots:(

my grandpa allways said its amazing what stupid people can do in large groups

blrock

If guys REALLY have to need to point their laser into the sky all they should do is contact their local authorities and get a certificate. The authorities would then send a message to NOTAM (notice to airmen) allowing you to shine your laser into the sky(obviously not at the planes!!).
Details you need to include are laser output, wavelengh, direction for laser beam and time of use...
At least that's what I do. Other countries may be different...

XiteR

If guys REALLY have to need to point their laser into the sky all they should do is contact their local authorities and get a certificate. The authorities would then send a message to NOTAM (notice to airmen) allowing you to shine your laser into the sky(obviously not at the planes!!).
Details you need to include are laser output, wavelengh, direction for laser beam and time of use...
At least that's what I do. Other countries may be different...

I didn't understand... If i want to take/play with my laser outdoors i should contact the authorities :confused:. I guess South Africa has some serious laser laws.

Thank god its not like this where i live :D.

GL :wave:

-ALI

DrSid

Here in Czech Rep only use of any laser near airport (10km IIRC) was banned. So far I'm happy ..

Wow, the Australian Government officially made my laser level a prohibited device. It uses a ~10mW 532nm laser. It is a construction tool. What a bunch of fools! Next thing you know they'll be banning scissors and butter knives!

Implied facepalm. 20-year old man...

shouldn't he have a sort of responsibility? Seems like no one can be trusted today, unless you are in the inner circle of LPF, lol.

Which... is rather unfortunate.

Should have Avery do some modding with the registration features, to ensure that we have no crooked-logic'd kids and or teens comin in here.

Its great to see PL have some safety rep too. Good to have a thriving community, but better to have a community with the credence of safety and responsibility. Its good to see laser laws, but its more reasonable IMO to have information sources to provide clear, understandable safety information, because lasers at the hobby level are built from the info here, and most irresponsible fools use handheld hobby lasers to commit to these crimes... or store bought lasers.

I appreciate the Inquisition-style laser safety crowd here on this forum, but then again, is just a de-facto infosource.

^^^ IIRC there was actually some kind of a course running during the last LEM for laser safety officer certification. If/when lasers become banned in the US I fully intend to take the course to have at least some kind of official documentation that I know to some degree what I'm doing with lasers.

Nothing Avery can do about kids joining up on here though... it is the internet, and it's in the TOS already that you must be over the age of majority. If you look at the age poll though, you'll see that a ~third of LPF members are under 18...iirc.

I and others have suggested additional requirements in order to allow people to purchase on here, but unfortunately that would take a bit of work and would also impede forum growth. Not to mention it would make selling lasers more difficult, and few people do use this hobby to supplement their income. It's a touch balancing act.

Some people are taking steps though... My hat goes of to Gary of SurvivalLaser for actually creating a fully legit business.

I actually wouldn't mind more regulation all that much... but I don't want it to become a criminal offense to simply have a laser, or for it to be a serious crime to shine a laser into the sky safely, when there is no danger to aircraft.

I can agreee. They call that moderation, and I guess some things just cannot be done.

Should have Avery do some modding with the registration features, to ensure that we have no crooked-logic'd kids and or teens comin in here.

If this were in any way possible without age discrimination, artificial intelligence or profiling (criminal background check, sanity evaluation, application placement, future prospect intention ect)...... the world would be closer to being perfect thanks to LPF and that would be nice. It'll never happen but it'd be nice :beer:

EDIT: didn't see Infinitus' reply at first, interesting points there ;)

Last edited:

strik3

laser levels are not illegal. its specificaly laser pointers