Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The XBOX 360 HD-DVD high power laser thread

so how long do they last at 100 ma.How fast do they heat up at 100ma

jamilm9 said:
so how long do they last at 100 ma.How fast do they heat up at 100ma
That test is currently in progress. Well, we're running at 90mA, but close enough for government work. It's also not properly heatsunk. They heat up fairly quickly at that temperature. In the normal heatsink its too hot to touch for longer than a few seconds after a couple minutes running at 100mA. If it's in a proper heatsink I think it would be able to dissipate the heat well enough.

oh and a random piece of info. We measured the output from the drive itself before taking it apart. there's only 0.3mW going to the disc! It's amazing how much of the light they waste. Of course, I am ok with them wasting all that light as long as it's capable of enough output to make me a nice toy.

hey climbak how much power did the HD-DVD laser put out at that 90ma? is it good if i use rechargeable 9v? im using DDL driver for that. do you have a schematic on how you run that? thanks.

IgorT

adgmeijin said:
hey climbak how much power did the HD-DVD laser put out at that 90ma? is it good if i use rechargeable 9v? im using DDL driver for that. do you have a schematic on how you run that? thanks.
Any current regulated driver will work with any diode, as long as you supply it with enough voltage.

At 90mA, a 9V Ni-MH would still work, and supply it for somewhere under two hours (if 200mAh), but it would be on the edge of what it's capable of. You might want to consider Dr_Lava's FlexDrive, which can do it from a single Li-Ion.

You can see the power vs. current chart on page one of this thread. If you were to look there, you would see 90mA gives you 80mW (with no optics, i think).

IgorT

Why did Jake's sleds look different straight from the baggies, compared to daguin's?

Well, as long as they all have the same diode, i guess it doesn't matter..... Need to order!

I have a question for those of you that have taken this new sled apart. I noticed there is a flat piece of glass with a ribbon cable going to it. It is located under the lens that focuses the beam onto the CD/DVD. Does anybody have any idea what it is? I have taken a few drives apart over the years and I have never seen anythng like it before.

thanks Igort, this is my option only, if i use 3pcs of 3.6v AAA size rechargeable battery using DDL driver, it will work nice? or is it ok if i use 2pcs. of 3.6v AAA size battery using Rogs 7805 driver to this HD-DVD DT0811? what do you think recommended to use the best?

IgorT

Dr. Evil said:
I have a question for those of you that have taken this new sled apart. I noticed there is a flat piece of glass with a ribbon cable going to it. It is located under the lens that focuses the beam onto the CD/DVD. Does anybody have any idea what it is? I have taken a few drives apart over the years and I have never seen anythng like it before.

Can you please take some close up pictures of it? If it has a ribbon cable it must have some electronics on it. Could be a photo diode or something.

hey guys im just bit confused, what would you recommend to use for the powerful diode of HD-DVD? is it DT0811 or PH803T? please clear me up :-/

IgorT

adgmeijin said:
thanks Igort, this is my option only, if i use 3pcs of 3.6v AAA size rechargeable battery using DDL driver, it will work nice? or is it ok if i use 2pcs. of 3.6v AAA size battery using Rogs 7805 driver to this HD-DVD DT0811? what do you think recommended to use the best?

The LM7805 is not really a driver. It is just a voltage regulator. It can work ok with low power diodes, that don't heat up. There, a resistor will limit the current enough, and the internal resistance will not change with heat, so the current will be more or less stable.

But if you power diodes at close to their limits, you WANT a current regulated driver. A current regulator will constantly make adjustments to the voltage, and always supply the diode with just enough voltage for the selected current to flow through it. Since diodes lose resistance when they heat up, a constant voltage source, like the 7805 would push more current through them and possibly kill them. A constant current source will put out the exact amount of current selected regardless of small differences in the Vf of the individual diode, or even if it is a completely different diode type.
With a voltage source you would have to fine tune the current, by measuring it and changing resistors, you would have to set it lower to be safe and it can go wrong. With a current source, you just set the current and know it is exactly what you set it to. There is no guesswork involved.

Since the diode we are discussing here will be driven quite hard from what i can tell, i would STRONGLY recommend a constant current driver.

- 3x 3.6V Li-Ion with a 317 driver is the simplest solution - yes, it would work nice.
- rckstr's driver has a slightly lower dropout voltage, and might work from 2x Li-Ions (you need to check with him for details, i don't remember the exact voltage it needs). It is cheap and works great.
- Dr_Lava's "FlexDrive" is a buck/boost driver, so you only need to give it any voltage between 2.5 and 5.5V and it will drive ANY diode with the selected current. It costs more, but is still cheap for what it can do. It can work from a SINGLE Li-Ion regardless of the diode type, it will automatically boost or buck the voltage and adjust it to keep the current constant. There is no better way to make a laser small.

Oh, and HD-DVD DT0811 is the weak diode. You want the PHR-803T.

P.S. I don't think, this is the correct thread for driver discussion.
I'm sorry for the long explanation, but if anyone asks how to drive this again, well here is how.

IgorT said:
[quote author=Dr. Evil link=1209940381/45#57 date=1210053843]I have a question for those of you that have taken this new sled apart. I noticed there is a flat piece of glass with a ribbon cable going to it. It is located under the lens that focuses the beam onto the CD/DVD. Does anybody have any idea what it is? I have taken a few drives apart over the years and I have never seen anythng like it before.

Can you please take some close up pictures of it? If it has a ribbon cable it must have some electronics on it. Could be a photo diode or something.[/quote]

Here ya go.

IgorT

Interesting... Must be some kind of sensor. But it sure has a lot of wires..