Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Worst Insect Ever! (NO PICS)

Overall, we dont get many in our house, maybe 4 per year, but those are never good days. I remember one time, i was going out to dairy queen late a t night, i got into the car, and when the headlights went on, i noticed that i had walked right past a 4-5" one in my garage... scary shit. Now that i do research, i see that the ones in my house and garage are titanic in size compared to the 1.5" bodied onmes im reading about... weird. I think im gonna contact a U of M entomologist about this.

Yea, exactly the same for me. Just when I thought I've seen the worse in my house, not to long ago I see a massive mother centipede, probably just about4-5 inches like you said. I have no idea why the ones in garages are so much bigger and nastier.

Yea, exactly the same for me. Just when I thought I've seen the worse in my house, not to long ago I see a massive mother centipede, probably just about4-5 inches like you said. I have no idea why the ones in garages are so much bigger and nastier.

The garage must always be just that much closer to hell, it lets the bigger ones come through XD

ALSO, EDIT: glad to see all you guys, and sorry that my time on here has been spotty recently. I guess im just kinda between hobbies now, and lasers might be it but im not sure, i still like knives (another quite expensive hobby) but i really want to build something with an NUBM07E...

Last edited:

Rivem

People also say that they hate milipedes, but they dont bother me at all.

Same here. Honestly though, centipedes wouldn't really bother me if they didn't sting. There's something creepy about how fast they are though.

Same here. Honestly though, centipedes wouldn't really bother me if they didn't sting. There's something creepy about how fast they are though.

Yeah, id say that with spiders and centipedes, they certaintly do bother me with just their appearance, but the centipede is worse. And its faster, plus it bites (i think... pretty sure they bite not sting). The speed of centipedes does bother me more than anything though. In fact, i think a tarantula wouldnt bother me to much, becuase they are quite slow, even though your basic cellar spider does bother me so idk what im talking about, its just a hunch.

Rivem

Yeah, id say that with spiders and centipedes, they certaintly do bother me with just their appearance, but the centipede is worse. And its faster, plus it bites (i think... pretty sure they bite not sting). The speed of centipedes does bother me more than anything though. In fact, i think a tarantula wouldnt bother me to much, becuase they are quite slow, even though your basic cellar spider does bother me so idk what im talking about, its just a hunch.

You're right that they do bite. I was just thinking of a sting since some of them can have an excruciatingly painful venom. I was bitten twice. Once was on par with a wasp sting. The other was excruciating.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
In fact, i think a tarantula wouldnt bother me to much, becuase they are quite slow, even though your basic cellar spider does bother me so idk what im talking about, its just a hunch.

I own four tarantulas and I much prefer them to house spiders. They are slower when calm, so they make good handling in this state.

overall, we dont get many in our house, maybe 4 per year, but those are never good days. I remember one time, i was going out to dairy queen late a t night, i got into the car, and when the headlights went on, i noticed that i had walked right past a 4-5" one in my garage... Scary shit. Now that i do research, i see that the ones in my house and garage are titanic in size compared to the 1.5" bodied onmes im reading about... Weird. I think im gonna contact a u of m entomologist about this.

4-5"?!?!

OH HELL NOoo!

GSS

I guess i'm lucky that i'm one of those who doesn't have a bug phobia "I have tons of other's though" but still use caution when I see one, more for spider's.
I live in a 14 floor high rise and am on the 11th floor. The one I saw and grabbed was tiny at around 4mm but iv'e seen some 1 or 2 incher's on the ground floor.
Wondering if I saw a baby or the big one's don't make it higher heights.
As a coincidence I get regular pest control and today is the day they come to the building so i'm going to try to track them down and ask a few questions:undecided:
Oh yeah 4 to 5 in" no way!!
Edit: Alaskan so the spider won the insect cage battle!

Last edited:
Normally my father sprays outside the house with insect reppellant and that stops anything from getting in. I think id prefer not to use anything in the house since we have cats and a dog, just to be safe, although i will look into that.

This is the sole reason I use IGR. It has no detrimental effects on anything other than insects. It is safe to be around for yourself, children, and pets*

*I'm not a chemist or scientist and am only repeating what the labeling says and what I have been advised

Benm

Yeah, id say that with spiders and centipedes, they certaintly do bother me with just their appearance, but the centipede is worse. And its faster, plus it bites (i think... pretty sure they bite not sting).

They bite in the sense that they inject venom like a snake does. Practially it makes little difference though, it's comparable to a wasp sting in effect, worse with some species, why i think it could be dangerous to something as small as a cat if it gets stung/bitten several times.

I'm not affraid of relatively harmless insects like millipedes (they have 4 legs on each body segment and no poison). Spiders are bit of a mixed thing. Domestic spiders here aren't usually capable of biting you and not venomous, but when traveling i take no chances messing with them.

As far as that goes i prefer cockroaches in hotel rooms over mosquito's, and luring in gecko's isn't a bad idea either, though some people tend to totally freak out over those two bascially harmless things.

LarryTheGuy

Centipedes... yuck... they do sting (yeah, not bite). Some sources state they all are poisonous, some that they are not. The truth is that smaller species like house centipedes are not poisonous, but the bigger ones like Texas redhead or Amazonian centipede are indeed poisonous. Besides, according to the article on pestcontrolhacks, centipedes are often mistaken to millipedes, which have many differences.
But there's no need to be an entomologist just to know that you don't want to see these at your home.

Centipedes... yuck... they do sting (yeah, not bite). Some sources state they all are poisonous, some that they are not. The truth is that smaller species like house centipedes are not poisonous, but the bigger ones like Texas redhead or Amazonian centipede are indeed poisonous. Besides, according to the article on pestcontrolhacks, centipedes are often mistaken to millipedes, which have many differences.
But there's no need to be an entomologist just to know that you don't want to see these at your home.
They all bite. Watch this vid Brave Wilderness YT channel. You'll see Coyote Peterson demonstrating the extremely painful venemous bite of the Giant Desert Centipede on himself. This critter is found in the American desert southwest. He does a series of vids being stung or bitten on himself to show how *painful each critters bite or sting is. The only critter he does not allow to bite is a species of the Wandering Spider.

The typical house centipede is a good pest control.

* Schmidt insect pain scale
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_sting_pain_index

Last edited:

The distinction between bite and sting here is somewhat difficult.
The "biting" parts of a centipede are actually modified limbs (i.e. legs) that deliver venom. Over evolutionary time, the foremost legs of the centipede have transformed into something more analogous to mouth-parts so I'd say that it's more like biting than stinging. Stinging is typically attributed to animals that use a single protuberance, usually from the abdomen, to deliver venom (like ants, wasps, and bees).