Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The SimpleDrive2 - Very easy to set! Now with a feeler!

HIMNL9

Re: The SimpleDrive2 - Very easy to set!

If someone of you have the possibility to get a sample of the MCP565 regulator, it can worth the effort of a try ..... according to its datasheet, it have a Vref of 0.9V (less dissipation on the RSET), and a typical dropout of 0.9 / 1 V, with a maximum of 1.5A current ..... and for higher currents, the NCP5663 reach 3A, with the same Vref and dropouts .....

The only possible "problems", are that the maximum voltage is given at 9V (18V absolute maximum, but this is a risk), and that the adjustable type is in 5-pins D2PAK case ..... also, the ADJ pin is referred to a phisical ground, not floating as the LM serie, so the RSET must be placed between the GND and the led, and not in serie with the Vout pin, as usual ..... i'm wondering if they distribute them here, it's an interesting possibility, anyway.

EDIT: also look at this one ..... if it was not in a stupid 16.pins package, it can be a very good linear regulator, til 1A :p

Last edited:

Johnyz

HIMNL9: I can get the NCP565, thanks, gonna build a pro version of this with 3 stepped values (as rhd suggested).

EDIT: Darn, do you know the basic schematic? It's not in the datasheet and Google is quiet...

Last edited:

Wow! Your design is far better than mine. I will cancel my design immediately and just start using yours. :p

Johnyz

I have some basic design with the NCP565, with the VIN tied to V+, VOUT to LD+ and ADJ connected thru the resistors to GND. Not sure at all if this is the correct schematic, gonna prototype a bit...

Johnyz

Re: The SimpleDrive2 - Very easy to set! Drives red out of a single li-ion!

:bumpit:

Sorting things out with resellers!

rhd

Anyone aware of a site that allows searching by vref as a criteria? Neither mouser nor digikey do.

With 35,000 linear regulators on digikey, it doesn't seem productive to take a "trial and error" approach by reading each datasheet ;)

HIMNL9

No, but you can "reverse the trick" ..... search for Vref on manufacturers sites (not all, but some of them permit you to apply "filters" on their sites, for searching parts, including for Vref), then seach your distributor site with the part numbers you've found on manufacturers sites (not immediate, but always better than read all the datasheets :))

Johnyz

Right now, I'm thinking about making a version that has buck-boost, but only the IC itself costs $5...

rhd

What magical IC are you looking at ?

Johnyz

I'm not gonna say which IC, before I finish the PoC schematic... *cough* LT *cough* And yep, since the whole SimpleDrive 2 including assembly costs about $5, the same price for only one IC seems a bit high to me, but when I compare with other drivers, it's still ridiculously low. The specs include: 2.3A, 3V to 30V input, PWM and TTL support and other things.

Last edited:

Hey JohnZ !
I am SO Sorry for my triple postings.
wow
It obviously did not bother you too much on your own post. Thanks!
too bad others did not see it that way:
PM's, Bad REP etc.
This place is filled by a bunch of select few who have nothing better to do than cause trouble.
-Will

rhd

Laser66, In your signature, you list:

FS
GREEN Laser Diodes- Yes, they are HERE Now !

May I inquire as to what green laser diodes you have for sale?

daguin

Hey JohnZ !
I am SO Sorry for my triple postings.
wow
It obviously did not bother you too much on your own post. Thanks!
too bad others did not see it that way:
PM's, Bad REP etc.
This place is filled by a bunch of select few who have nothing better to do than cause trouble.
-Will

Instead of neg repping someone, how about simply reporting the post. A mod can merge the posts and let the person know. Alternatively, you could also simply let the person know about the norm via PM instead of a public negative comment.

Peace,
dave

Johnyz

:bumpit:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but as far as it looks like, I have ran out of resellers. Anyone know about any of "them" that would be willing to stock up my driver?

rhd

Why do you need a reseller?

Johnyz

Well, a shop like HTD or StoneTek usually gets more views than a special web page holed up somewhere in the internet.

EDIT: I might do a small run - e.g. a groupbuy with the boards not being aluminium.

Last edited: